300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions, Decisions...

Just to give a quick background on me. I have had my heart set for a long time on being a police officer. Fast forward to today, I am torn between becoming an officer, or going towards becoming a Firefighter/Paramedic...

Well I went the other night on a ride-along with a local PD. The person that I rode with was a wealth of information and was totally cool with having me do the ride. He answered my questions and also pointed out a lot of information to me about the job, and lifestyle. It was deffinately 100% worth it.

I think one of the things that I really like about the firefighter job is a mix between being able to positively help people and the schedule. Working 9 days a month is also not that bad. lol..

I would REALLY appreciate any input or feedback that you all could offer me.

-Matt

Well this is a police forum, your going to get a one sided answer.

im going to go out in a limb and say that if you like both professions, go ahead and be a cop.

Thats pretty much what your going to get from here.

Comment

DO BOTH!!!... Find a agency that is "Public Service".... or something like that.. I think Greenacres is....and either South Daytona, or Daytona Beach Shores.... something like that gets you all three..and more $$$$
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

From someone with 5 years in LE I would tell you if your just getting started go Firefighter/Paramedic.

Police work isn't what it was 10 years ago or what it was 5 years ago when I started.

Police are held at a higher standard than ever, mirco-managed harder than ever, and Monday morning Quarter backed on every decision. Which creates high levels of stress more so than the job itself. Not to mention the increasing crime rate. Who knows how dangerous things will be before you hit your 25 years.

Nobody wants to see the police until they personally call you. They don't want you to give them a ticket, take their drugs arrest them for beating their wife.

So I would say if you are 50/50 between Police VS Firefighter/Paramedic, Go Firefighter/Paramedic most time the pay and retirement is about equal and I think one would find it more enjoyable and less stressful.
        You could always explore the idea of doing fire full-time and being a reserve police officer.
        Last edited by off_kimball; 11-01-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

If you're completely torn both ways I'd agree go fire. The pay is better and the schedule is better on your family life, but it's a lot more difficult to get the job.

Another way to look at it is why you want to do each. If you want to do fire for the schedule and police for the job... do police. If it's equal you want to do both because of the job, do fire and the rest is just icing on the cake.

Comment

Like the previous two posters said.. If your seriously equal about wanting to do both... Go with Fire Fighter.. LEO, half the world hates you while as a Fire Fighter/Paramedic everybody loves you. You can't compare the schedules! The pay for them is just about the same, if not better. My brother is stuck in this same situation, he's leaning more towards Fire Fighting. Also with Police you normally end up with a bunch of OT & bad days off (atleast on street patrol) so you might end up working 65hrs/70hrs a week and don't have as much time as you would like to have for your family. I think that's probably one of the biggest problems with becoming a LEO.

Comment

that is exactly what I was hoping to hear guys. I wanted to hear from guys that are already LEOs. I have been losing sleep over this decision for a while now. I am not just looking at firefighting for the schedule. There is alot more to it. I respect both careers alot and its tough to decide. I appreciate your input guys!
              -Matt

Comment

I would have to agree with all other posters on the go Fire, because if you are thinking between the two there is a lack of commitment to the LEO side of it. Most fireman have second jobs and with the extra pay double the LEO Salaries just off the bat.

The only downside to being a Fireman is if you aren't in a large city you aren't going to be a fireman but a First or second responders to car accidents. Then if you aren't responding to Sick people then you are sitting at the station polishing the truck. The benefits is you'll learn to cook and only have to work 9 days a month or 108 days a year or 2,700 in a 25 year career. Were an officer works enough hours for 6 days a week, 288 days a year, and 7,200 days in a 25 year career. IF your heart isn't in Law enforcement lean towards Fire!

Comment

i was thinking the same thing before. it's hard to make a clear decision on it.
                  police is just like they said, monday night QB decision on everything or end up on the news or fired and getting sued personally.
                  fire i herd is very physically demanding. there are days you do nothing and then there are days you feel like you worked the hardest your entire life. body sore and imagine pulling a 600 pound man out of a burning building. there are pros and cons of them both. i just know stress is involved in both jobs. But I honestly think it’s more stress in police work. The amount of work they have to do day to day. The people they see and just stare at them cause they don’t like the police. I think it does something to you. Changes the way you look at the world. Like a cousin of mine used to be a fairly funny good guy, now he just looks like a zombie. He barely laughs and I personally think because he looks down on people. He have to arrest people that lie to him every day and doesn’t trust anyone. not saying that happens to everyone cause it doesn't but i'm just like wow. chances your whole life perception. YEA Do Fire
                  ARE YOU READY OR NOT

Comment

Wow, pretty overwhelming. lol.. I think one thing that has been on my mind is that almost all the firefighterse i've talked to have said to me that "people hate cops, but they love the firefighters". Kind of got into my head a little bit, but I also feel that the people that hate cops, are the majority of the scumbags that will end up with 3 concrete walls and a jail door. lol.. I also think to myself, will i be bored out of my freakin mind being at a station for 24 hours? I mean most departments are going to the 12 hour shifts, but look at lauderhill PD, work monday tuesday, off weds thurs, work fri,sat,sun. then the following week your off mon,tues. work weds & thurs, and then off fri, sat, sun. . So i mean your only working 14 days a month. That to me is not that bad. I also have a strong desire to go into politics later in life. Would a career in fire give me a good background to pursue government later in life? Sorry so long guys, just trying to ask the right questions. I GREATLY appreciate all of your input!

Comment

The guys over at FD don't get bored, most of them have a pretty strong bond with the guys they work with. They always have something to do if they're not going to calls, be it cleaning, cooking, working out, or of course sleeping.

If you plan on going into politics... don't do either... become a lawyer.

Comment

Sounds like it's better becoming a fire-fighter if you want to continue school and want to get into the public saftey field at the same time...
                        sigpic

Comment

Southflaguy made a very good point. You will have more time on your hands if you want to go to college to get a bachelors, masters, or whatever you'd like.

As for what you said most people hating cops because they're the ones that get locked up.. Doesn't always work that way.. People hate cops if you arrest their father, friend, cousin etc.. They hate cops because most officers don't follow traffic laws (speed, park where ever they want, etc..), normal (non-criminals) people hate cops when you ruin their day with a ticket, or when one idiot on your department decides to abuse his/her power (beating some one, tasering some one more than necessary)... I don't think I've ever seen any thing bad on Fire Fighters make the news.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
                            Southflaguy made a very good point. You will have more time on your hands if you want to go to college to get a bachelors, masters, or whatever you'd like.

As for what you said most people hating cops because they're the ones that get locked up.. Doesn't always work that way.. People hate cops if you arrest their father, friend, cousin etc.. They hate cops because most officers don't follow traffic laws (speed, park where ever they want, etc..), normal (non-criminals) people hate cops when you ruin their day with a ticket, or when one idiot on your department decides to abuse his/her power (beating some one, tasering some one more than necessary)... I don't think I've ever seen any thing bad on Fire Fighters make the news.

Except when Firefighters fail to give people back their severed legs and it makes the news

Comment

Come to NY and apply for the Port Authority of NJ/NY police. We are crossed trained as EMT's and Firefighters but we are always police first

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4157 users online. 194 members and 3963 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X