Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30+mph over the speed limit law changed?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 30+mph over the speed limit law changed?

    I always thought if you got caught going 30mph or more, over the speed limit here in FL, it was a mandatory court appearance... I just came across this on google... Maybe some of you FHPs can tell me if this is true or not.


    Bad news for Florida riders, as of October 1st, anyone caught doing 30 over in that state faces confiscation of their vehicle, five to ten years in prison and a ten-year license suspension. We say ‘anyone’ because bill HB 137, which was originally targeted at motorcyclists, was amended to apply to all vehicles.

    State Representative Carlos Lopez-Cantera introduced the bill to the Florida State Legislature last November after witnessing motorcycle riders wheelying and cutting through traffic on a ride-along with Miami police. The bill has understandably created an uproar in the motorcycle community, but has experienced little opposition from the motorcycle industry and lobby groups.

    A lobbyist representing ABATE did express concerns that the bill unfairly targeted motorcyclists, arguing that penalties for motorists who violate motorcycle rider’s right of way, injuring or killing them, are substantially lower.

    While the bill was altered to include all vehicles, the anti-motorcycle language remains, specifically that which discusses the revocation of the motorcycle endorsement.

  • #2
    That would be great, but I highly doubt the 5-10 years in prison is true. Even reckless driving (meaning 30 over plus a whole lot of in and out and spinning in circles and making your car do back flips) is only a misdemeanor and punishable by no more than 1 year in jail.

    Comment


    • #3
      Generally 30+ means scraping you off the road, correct?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by StudChris View Post
        That would be great, but I highly doubt the 5-10 years in prison is true. Even reckless driving (meaning 30 over plus a whole lot of in and out and spinning in circles and making your car do back flips) is only a misdemeanor and punishable by no more than 1 year in jail.
        Same thing I was thinking. reckless driving, street racing, etc... they're all misdemeanors. That's why I posted this to see if this was true.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good thing this wasn't in effect when I got my 70 in a 40 speeding ticked back in November of 2006. Luckily during the court appearance the officer did not show off and I got a very lucky break

          Comment


          • #6
            So 85 in a 55 gets you 5-10? I don't think so. That's what the Florida HR 187 bill says, but I don't think it would pass muster in the courts, and as far as I know, it's only been passed in committee, so it's still only political posturing, not state law.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well we got our list of new/revised laws as of Oct 1 last week and I didn't see anything like that. In some other states 30+ over the limit is per se for reckless driving (meaning 30 over is assumed to be reckless just like .08 BAC is per se or assumed to be impaired). I wish they would make it that way here also.

              I've really only had 30 over twice. One of them, by the time I got turned around and after him his tail lights were blended in with the other ones and I had no clue where he went. The one I caught was also DUI and had cocaine. I'm sure the guys that work the interstate see it more than we do in the city (although we do have roads where you could easily get 30 over... and we do routinely on code runs).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by luis.FL07 View Post
                Good thing this wasn't in effect when I got my 70 in a 40 speeding ticked back in November of 2006. Luckily during the court appearance the officer did not show off and I got a very lucky break
                Hope you still plan on putting that in your BI. Although I'm sure at the time you thought you had a good reason for it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                  Hope you still plan on putting that in your BI. Although I'm sure at the time you thought you had a good reason for it.
                  It was included in all of my BI packets

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    NOTES: Effective Oct. 1, 2008, a new speeding violation can be written
                    under 316.1926(2) for violators who exceed the speed limit in
                    excess of 50 mph. * Fines for 1st offense is $1,000, 2nd offense
                    is $2,500 and 3rd offense is $5,000.

                    straight from Florida Uniform Traffic Citation Manual - Appendix C

                    http://hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/utc/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gomets11 View Post
                      NOTES: Effective Oct. 1, 2008, a new speeding violation can be written
                      under 316.1926(2) for violators who exceed the speed limit in
                      excess of 50 mph. * Fines for 1st offense is $1,000, 2nd offense
                      is $2,500 and 3rd offense is $5,000.

                      straight from Florida Uniform Traffic Citation Manual - Appendix C

                      http://hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/utc/
                      Thank alot brother! I need to get me the 2008 MDPD traffic handbook, or might as well be getting the 2009 soon. I'm still reading from the 2007.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Beat me to it:

                        30 over the speed limit is still only a "mandatory court appearance" and a fine of just over $300.

                        50 Over the speed limit, beginning October 1st, is a $1,000 fine - up to jail time for 3rd conviction.

                        Can also be charged with "reckless driving" at the same time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was caught going like 100 in a 70 on my way to miami. I didnt even realize I was going that fast seeing that alligator alley is filled with nothing but trees. He didn't gun me down and to tell you the truth he did not even know how fast I was really going. When I was applying to pd's I had to get that information and he put down 104 in a 70 which was kind of messed up but whatever it happened in 06 so what can you do. I though I was going to get a court date but he didn't I just paid the ticket and im guessing everything was ok from there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by USFbull View Post
                            I was caught going like 100 in a 70 on my way to miami. I didnt even realize I was going that fast seeing that alligator alley is filled with nothing but trees. He didn't gun me down and to tell you the truth he did not even know how fast I was really going. When I was applying to pd's I had to get that information and he put down 104 in a 70 which was kind of messed up but whatever it happened in 06 so what can you do. I though I was going to get a court date but he didn't I just paid the ticket and im guessing everything was ok from there.
                            How do you know? Obviously he had to do over 100mph just to catch up to you. The speedometer on a LEO's car is just as good as a radar gun.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Right But If He Had To Cut Across A Grass Median On 75, Make A U-turn He Is Obviously Going To Have To Put The Foot On The Gas On His Charger To Get Me

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4361 users online. 218 members and 4143 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X