300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos - Let's talk.

I want to get a tattoo badly, but i've noticed some of us on this forum are getting rejected because of them.

I only want three, and they are all going to be on one arm. Nothing on the wrist, or elbows.

What are some policies on getting them WHILE you're in service with a dept?

What depts in FL are known to DQ for them?

Who AUTO DQ's?
    Get them now, and just disclose where they are.
    33.33%
    Get hired first, then get them.
    66.67%
    WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

I know FHP are very strict on tat's on the elbows and below the wrist. That was made more then clear to us, as well as tats on the face, neck, or on the upper chest that could be seen while in uniform.

I'm going in the Marine Corp, so I will probably have tats, but they will be on my back, upper arms, chest, or leg area. Nothing that is easily visible while in a suit or uniform, and none on any joints.

All the research I've done says that if you have them, and they aren’t demeaning, or on face, neck, elbows, or wrist, and don’t keep you from achieving a professional atmosphere, you should be fine. It all comes down to the department policy, seems like. Some don’t mind them, but the only way to know is to do your research with that department. Several officers where I work have a tat or to, one even has one that is still visible on his arm when in uniform. We don’t care that much, as long as you have one and still look professional.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

I say get it after your hired and make sure it isn't visible while your on duty.

Comment

when I went to orientation for MDPD I saw an officer who just got out of the academy he had full sleeves on both arms, a few I workout with at the gym also have tats that are visible while in uniform some had them before, then just added more after joining the dept. I know a detective that works out of the cutler ridge station, he has tats that run down the back of both arms pass his elbows on to his forearms..

for whatever its worth, those are just my experiences
        I hope to one day wear the Brown Uniform and Im not talking about UPS

Comment

Get hired first, then see what the policy is. Believe it or not there are departments out there (I can't name any off hand, but I know there are) that will not hire you if you have any tattoos anywhere. If you do want to get them, keep it above the elbow. Also, make sure you're putting a lot of thought into your tattoos. I know of several who got tattoos a while back, and now looking back on it they think (or at least should think...) that it was a mistake.

Comment

Get hired somewhere first, then look into getting tattoos. No sense ruining your chances over ink on your skin. FWIW- I was asked about them at my psych. eval.

Comment

Originally posted by leeland111 View Post
              Get hired somewhere first, then look into getting tattoos. No sense ruining your chances over ink on your skin. FWIW- I was asked about them at my psych. eval.
              agree with that

Comment

Once again you guys never let me down with being advised.

I took a week to think about it, and my results are:

To wait. Like mentioned, why ruin the chances. Thanks again.

-Wadson
                WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

Personally I'd vote for never getting them, but that wasn't an option so I'll say wait until after you are hired and then only get them in places they can be hidden.

Comment

i have a visible tattoo and i was never set back by it. it has been a conversation piece with some people on calls for service.
                    just disclose it and you don't get hired somewhere because of it then that agency isn't for you.
                    while professionalism is one thing, passing over a top candidate for ink isn;t very bright. i believe i saw something that says 40% of americans have tattoos. only 25% of americans reportedly use tobacco.

the american tattoo culture was started when servicemen/women fought in WWII brought back the skin art learned after their battles overseas.
                    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma vs karma View Post
                      i have a visible tattoo and i was never set back by it. it has been a conversation piece with some people on calls for service.
                      just disclose it and you don't get hired somewhere because of it then that agency isn't for you.
                      while professionalism is one thing, passing over a top candidate for ink isn;t very bright. i believe i saw something that says 40% of americans have tattoos. only 25% of americans reportedly use tobacco.

the american tattoo culture was started when servicemen/women fought in WWII brought back the skin art learned after their battles overseas.
                      I hear you. I don't think they are a big deal but some depts frown upon tats.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6685 users online. 360 members and 6325 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X