300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miramar PD vs BSO!

Hey everyone, I am intrested in applying to Miramar Police Department and Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO). I know that both departments have good benefits, but I like to know is how is the hiring process like between both departments. I plan to apply to police agenices of my choice on Monday after I take the PAT and the swim test. I also want to apply with Miami-Dade Police, but when will they accept applications again?

Chris

Originally posted by cjcpop2007 View Post
    Hey everyone, I am intrested in applying to Miramar Police Department and Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO). I know that both departments have good benefits, but I like to know is how is the hiring process like between both departments. I plan to apply to police agenices of my choice on Monday after I take the PAT and the swim test. I also want to apply with Miami-Dade Police, but when will they accept applications again?

Chris
    I can't speak for Miramar PD but I know BSO is a very quick process. They take pride in being one of the fastest hiring processing departments according to the recruiter I spoke with. As for BSO I believe its PAT, Oral Board, Polygraph, Psychological and medical exam. It takes roughly 2 months I believe maybe quicker. As for MDPD their are we're alot of rumors that October they would lift the hiring freeze, being that the fiscal year starts October 1st. But I heard from a buddy that's a PO there that most likely january or later. Good luck man!!
    Be Safe and God Bless,
    -Mike

Florida D.O.C.= 3 years
    Certified LEO= 4/30/08
    Police Officer= Processing!

Comment

Im with BSO and would recommend staying with BSO due to many factors..
      We are the biggest department around next to Miami Dade, and that means lots of room for advancement and specialized units to choose from. We have many different patrol districts that all are distinctly different, so you never are stuck patrolling the same streets for yoru entire career.

Big agency, means opportunity...plain and simple.

Also, with the economy going sour, smalller departments are pulling their budgets tight (Even us) but in the end, smaller departments will freeze 1st before the Sheriffs Office..mostly because BSO is not controlled by the County Commision that much, the Sheriff can ovveride the County Commission and report directly to the Governor of Florida if it means the safety of Broward County.

No knock on Miramar, but you will have little room to move around there, although one plus is you can retire in 20 years, instead of 25 years here at BSO.

Miami Dade was once a great department, however as BSO has absorbed (Taken over) city departments and grown, MDPD is exactly in reverse, and losing patrol areas to newly formed city departments, thus thery are feeling the pinch and only now patrolling the slums that nobody wants.

In the last 10 years alone, MDPD has lost the following areas Sunny Isles Beach, Aventura, Miami Gardens, Doral, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, and Cutler Bay. Thats alot of area they once had, and now those areas are served by their own city PDs.
      Good luck
      Last edited by TOMBSTONE; 09-20-2008, 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay still contract with MDPD for police services.

You also forgot to mention Miami Gardens as a dept that has incorporated and started it's own agency.

As far as the original question, I would say apply at both, and see how the process goes. They are both well respected agencies.

Like mentioned BSO will have a much larger jurisdiction, and plenty of room to move around - specialty units.

Miramar is a good sized department, that would still have most of the specialty units of a larger agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6405 users online. 348 members and 6057 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X