300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy Questions for current or past cadets

I have a few questions for current cadets or officers that went through the Academy at Broward College.

Assuming you get hired by an agency and get sent to the academy:

1. Do they provide the uniforms for you or do you have to pay for them?
    2. I know it's not a sleep-over academy, but do they provide food?
    3. Along that line, do you get breaks throughout the day - snacks, lunch etc?
    4. How is the day structured? AM physical, mid-day classes, afternoon, whatever?
    5. Does anyone take any supplements during the day? ie: protein shakes, BCAAs, creatine, Accelerade, stuff like that?
    6. I've read that you can do overtime as a cadet. What does that consist of and how often do you guys do it?
    7. Do you ever have to report to the headquaters of your hiring agency?

That's it for now... looking forward to your responses.

Best,
    -I

1. Agency provided uniforms

2. There is a little cafeteria thing on site at BCC and microwaves but they do not provide food....

3. We get breaks on the hour and anywhere from 30-50 minutes for lunch

4. Usually AM is classes or DT then class from 1-3 and PT from 3-5 but depends on day

5. Not really

6. Depends on agency because the academy is 8-5...some pay for lunch and some don't

7. If the academy is closed for whatever reason

Comment

1. Your agency will provide the academy uniforms for you.
      2. Ther'es no free food at the academy, but there is a little shop where you can buy food and you can also go off campus for lunch.
      3. You get 10 min. breaks every hour.
      4. Will be different everyday.
      5. You can take supplements throughout the day, I did and so did a few others in my class.
      6. Overtime will be based on your agency. Some departments pay you for lunch so you get 5 hours of OT per week. Any other OT will be doing any assignments with your agency.
      7. You might have to stop by your department once in a while.

Hope this helps...but seriously anything and everything you need to know will be provided to you when you get hired.

Comment

1. if you are self sponsored you will be buying your own uniforms, pt gear, ect

2. i dont know of any that do provide food

3. you will get a lunch break and a 5 or 10 minute once every hour or so

4. we did classroom in the morning and pt in the afternoon. during firearms we didnt do much classroom and spent all day and some nights for a couple weeks on the range

5. i didnt but i think one of the guys used to drink the shakes

6. no overtime was offered to us, even after the academy in fto

7. its is up to the agency. most would require that you put in 40 hours per week. if you were only at the academy for 38 hours for some reason you would end up in the evidence room or something

Comment

This is pretty good info!

Comment

Agreed... thanks everyone.
            -I

Comment

Another question, after your PT training... do you guys take a shower in the academy or it is not mandatory?
              FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL

1) Pre-Application - DONE 06/2010
              2) PAT Physical Test - PASSED 07/2010
              3) F-BAT - PASSED 08/2008
              4) POLYGRAPH - PASSED 10/2010
              5) PSYCHOLOGICAL SCREENING - PASSED 11/2010
              6) MEDICAL AND VISION - PASSED 01/2011
              7) BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION - PASSED
              8) COLONEL'S DECISION - ACCEPTED
              10) ACADEMY START DATE - JULY 31ST

Comment

We shower after DT but PT is usually last thing of the day so we just leave....however we have had PT from 1pm-3pm sometimes and yes they let us shower before class

Comment

We had classroom pretty much all day and depending on the instructor, breaks ranged from 5 minutes to 20, every hour. 10 minutes was the norm. We were in at 7am and did PT from 5-6pm. During DT, we'd PT from 2 until 3 and DT from 3-6. We really didnt get any breaks during DT, other than a minute or so for water.

For those of us who self sponsored, we bought all our own uniforms. The sponsored guys didnt pay a dime. Most people went out to lunch daily. A few of us on a budget brown bagged it daily. We had an hour usually depending on the instructor, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

We started with 35 and 20 were left by firearms, which was the last couple weeks.

Comment

Damn from 35 to 20.. That's a big loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                      We had classroom pretty much all day and depending on the instructor, breaks ranged from 5 minutes to 20, every hour. 10 minutes was the norm. We were in at 7am and did PT from 5-6pm. During DT, we'd PT from 2 until 3 and DT from 3-6. We really didnt get any breaks during DT, other than a minute or so for water.

For those of us who self sponsored, we bought all our own uniforms. The sponsored guys didnt pay a dime. Most people went out to lunch daily. A few of us on a budget brown bagged it daily. We had an hour usually depending on the instructor, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

We started with 35 and 20 were left by firearms, which was the last couple weeks.
                      He was asking about Broward Comm. College is that where you are talking about? Just asking because I did not see any class with that many dropped. Most I saw saw 2 or 3. Also everyone there was sponsored. Everything else sounds the same, remember the budget brown bag, could be cause still do it sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by LEO_07 View Post
                        He was asking about Broward Comm. College is that where you are talking about? Just asking because I did not see any class with that many dropped. Most I saw saw 2 or 3. Also everyone there was sponsored. Everything else sounds the same, remember the budget brown bag, could be cause still do it sometimes.
                        You're right. My bad. I didnt realize that...Sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                          You're right. My bad. I didnt realize that...Sorry...
                          Did not think so. For good or bad, they try to get most people through the academy at Broward Community College since they are sponsored and agencies have already spent a chunk of change on them. Failure rate from my experience is pretty low.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3357 users online. 191 members and 3166 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X