300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsored or Self Sponsored?

I am thinking of putting together a letter to the chief of police for the department that I want to work for. I would like to get sponsored to pay for the academy. Looking for people that have been sponsored by a department and how they went about it.

Thanks in advance.

Taylor
    USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
    Oorah!

You apply to an ageny that does sponsor and is hiring, simple as that. In my humble opinion self-sponsor is not the way to go. You are spending alot of time and money out of your own pocket to get certified with no guarentee of a job afterwards. On the flip side if you do get sponsored they are paying for everything and paying you to go there as well, makes alot more sense. I've known several people who went the self-sponsor route because they didn't get sponsored by other agencies and felt it would help them if they just got the certification. Many of them still didn't get hired. So, if you can I would keep applying with agencies that do sponsor. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by SJR1709 View Post
      You apply to an ageny that does sponsor and is hiring, simple as that. In my humble opinion self-sponsor is not the way to go. You are spending alot of time and money out of your own pocket to get certified with no guarantee of a job afterwards. On the flip side if you do get sponsored they are paying for everything and paying you to go there as well, makes alot more sense. I've known several people who went the self-sponsor route because they didn't get sponsored by other agencies and felt it would help them if they just got the certification. Many of them still didn't get hired. So, if you can I would keep applying with agencies that do sponsor. Good luck to you.
      Its good to get sponsored by a dept, because you get paid and there is no money out of your pocket. Keep in mind that getting hired on with any department takes a long time. So with that in mind your going to go through the entire hiring process before even starting the academy.

I self sponsored put myself through the academy and started the application process with my agency during week 2. I was sworn in on my graduation night. Not every one is as lucky as I was but its just another thing to keep in mind. If you have the financial ability to put yourself through then why not.

Another Important thing to remember is with self sponsoring is that academy requirements are no were near the requirements that most agency's require/like to have. So if you have a history or traffic tickets, and minor drug charges, you might still be able to attend the academy, but will have a hard time getting hired. Just a few thoughts as you figure you what your going to do. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JPGT_00 View Post
        Its good to get sponsored by a dept, because you get paid and there is no money out of your pocket. Keep in mind that getting hired on with any department takes a long time. So with that in mind your going to go through the entire hiring process before even starting the academy.

I self sponsored put myself through the academy and started the application process with my agency during week 2. I was sworn in on my graduation night. Not every one is as lucky as I was but its just another thing to keep in mind. If you have the financial ability to put yourself through then why not.

Another Important thing to remember is with self sponsoring is that academy requirements are no were near the requirements that most agency's require/like to have. So if you have a history or traffic tickets, and minor drug charges, you might still be able to attend the academy, but will have a hard time getting hired. Just a few thoughts as you figure you what your going to do. Good Luck.

+1

That is true, but also keep in mind that some academies will do a pre-screener background check (a few questions) to see if you're
        even eligible for hire. If you're not, they won't allow you to waste
        your time.

Brevard Community College for one - They do the background investigation, polygraph, phsyc, oral board, P.A.T. , CJBAT, for 14-19 (forgot how many) departments in Brevard County. If you're accepted into the academy, you're almost guaranteed a job at most of the depts in the surrounding area.
        WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

Hey guys I self sponsored my self 4 years ago. I got federal financial aid to pay most of the cost and I worked a part time on the weekends to make some money but then again I was living at home and was 19 at the time.

One thing to remember is alot of departments have stopped hiring or are hiring at a way slower pace then a year ago. I had 3 job offeres when I got out. Most departments are no longer sponsoring because of the tax cuts and the way thing are.

I would self sponsor and just wait it could take a few years to get hired at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by LATIN COP View Post
            Hey guys I self sponsored my self 4 years ago. I got federal financial aid to pay most of the cost and I worked a part time on the weekends to make some money but then again I was living at home and was 19 at the time.

One thing to remember is alot of departments have stopped hiring or are hiring at a way slower pace then a year ago. I had 3 job offeres when I got out. Most departments are no longer sponsoring because of the tax cuts and the way thing are.

I would self sponsor and just wait it could take a few years to get hired at this point.
            Self sponsor looks like the route most should go now.

Federal Aid covered 100%, because it counts as college credits!

Good luck to everyone out there.

Comment

Originally posted by WadsonF View Post
              +1

That is true, but also keep in mind that some academies will do a pre-screener background check (a few questions) to see if you're
              even eligible for hire. If you're not, they won't allow you to waste
              your time.

Brevard Community College for one - They do the background investigation, polygraph, phsyc, oral board, P.A.T. , CJBAT, for 14-19 (forgot how many) departments in Brevard County. If you're accepted into the academy, you're almost guaranteed a job at most of the depts in the surrounding area.
              Maybe where you're out, but over here they'll let anyone go to the academy. It's a business and they want to take their money, even if you've done every drug in the books and sold most of them too.

Now, whether to self sponsor or get sponsored depends on your area. In Central and North Florida, there are very few departments sponsoring people... so your best bet is just to do it yourself. In South Florida, it's the opposite.

Comment

In south Florida that is the way to go. I went through an agency and i am still waiting on my class start date because of the cuts. A buddy of mine said forget it and did it his self and will finish before me.

Comment

[QUOTE=StudChris;1411046]Maybe where you're out, but over here they'll let anyone go to the academy. It's a business and they want to take their money, even if you've done every drug in the books and sold most of them too.[QUOTE]

How did you know about most of the guys in my class now?

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                    Maybe where you're out, but over here they'll let anyone go to the academy. It's a business and they want to take their money, even if you've done every drug in the books and sold most of them too.

Now, whether to self sponsor or get sponsored depends on your area. In Central and North Florida, there are very few departments sponsoring people... so your best bet is just to do it yourself. In South Florida, it's the opposite.
                    Understood.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3091 users online. 170 members and 2921 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X