300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami area departments

Thank you in advance for anyone that posts on this thread! I currently live in DC and I have four years of experience in law enforcement (and B.A. degree). Like many on this forum I'm searching for possible departments in the South Florida area, but in particular those agencies that are within commuting distance of Miami. I've been reading threads on multiple websites for months now and have a decent idea of what's out there. Regardless of if they are currently hiring, please tell me your perspective on which departments you would recommend and why. Large or small agencies are fine, as long as lateral movement into specialty assignments is possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by jml2007; 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM.

Miami-Dade Police Department. They'll be hiring again some time in Oct.

Endless opportunities. There's always over-time when you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
      Miami-Dade Police Department. They'll be hiring again some time in Oct.

Endless opportunities. There's always over-time when you want it.
      WORD!!! MDPD is the way to go...its taking a while but I think the reward of working with great police officers are what makes the department what it is....The Best.....like ERMDPD says O.T....its there.

Comment

Lol take it from R.L.3000... there's a reason he's betting waiting since April 2007 with them and hasn't gone some where else.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. One drawback that I'm noticing with MDPD is that they are on 5-8s, which seems pretty rare in South Florida with most departments on 4-10s.

I'm reading good things about Hollywood PD, any thoughts?

Again, thanks for your insight!

Comment

Hollywood is an excellent dept, but I wouldn't exactly call it commuting distance to Miami. Depending where in "Miami" you are referring, it would be around 45min- to over an hour to get to Hollywood.

Still lots of departments down here hiring, despite ammendment 1 issues and other cuts. (Especially for people already sworn) There are more than 20 different departments in the Miami-Dade county area, and another 15-20 or so in Broward.

I do not know of any department that would let you "lateral into a specialty assignment". At the very least they would want you to get past probation, which is generally atleast a year.

I would not say that "most" departments are on 4X10's. I would guess the split still leans closer to more on 5x8 schedules.

Comment

Departments

Aventura PD
              Bal Harbour PD
              Bay Harbor Islands PD
              Coral Gables PD
              El Portal PD
              Florida City PD
              Florida International University PD
              Hialeah PD
              Hialeah Gardens PD
              Homestead PD
              Medley PD
              Miami PD
              Miami Beach PD
              Miami-Dade Co PD
              Miami-Dade School PD
              Miami Gardens PD
              Miami Shores PD
              Miami Springs PD
              North Bay Village PD
              North Miami PD
              North Miami Beach PD
              Opa Locka PD
              South Miami PD
              Sunny Isles Beach PD
              Surfside PD
              Sweetwater PD

And I believe there more then list of the USACOPS.COM site, Such as: Pinecrest PD, West Miami PD, Biscayne Park Police Dp, Miccosukee PD, Key Biscayne PD, Key Colony PD, Miami Dade College PD,

And keep in mind the there are a least 2 more departments on the way in the next few years 1) Palmetto Bay PD and 2) Cutler Bay PD. Both are under contract from the county for now, but will likely break off in the next few years

Comment

I meant to say in my initial message that I was looking for a department large enough to have various specialty assignments that I could eventually apply for internally later in my career. As a current leo, I realize that it can take a while before you get such an assignment - I'm in no rush.

One of the problems that I'm having is figuring out viable departments within commuting distance to Miami. I realize "Miami" is pretty big, but I'm not sure where we are going to settle within the city just yet.

Are departments that are operating on a 5x8 schedule planning eventually to move to the 4x10 system (is it a logical progression)? Or is it a manpower issue that wont be resolved anytime soon?

Comment

Word on the street is MDPD does plan on going to 4/10's within the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Paul View Post
                    Word on the street is MDPD does plan on going to 4/10's within the near future.
                    Doubt it.. Haven't heard of that.

Only ones who work 4/10s FTOs.

Comment

Originally posted by jml2007 View Post
                      Thank you in advance for anyone that posts on this thread! I currently live in DC and I have four years of experience in law enforcement (and B.A. degree). Like many on this forum I'm searching for possible departments in the South Florida area, but in particular those agencies that are within commuting distance of Miami. I've been reading threads on multiple websites for months now and have a decent idea of what's out there. Regardless of if they are currently hiring, please tell me your perspective on which departments you would recommend and why. Large or small agencies are fine, as long as lateral movement into specialty assignments is possible. Thanks!
                      I PM you a couple did you get them?

Comment

Really it depends what your looking for. Hand's down in Miami Dade County I would have to agree that the county (MDPD) is the best all around (biggest, one of the better paid, all the speciality unit's you want) its the best hands down IMO. However their are very good city agencies that rival the county in its benefit's package. I.E. Miami Beach PD. At the end of the day you really have to do research and see what works best for you. Because somewhere like say Miami PD they are the largest city PD within Miami Dade county but some would say "it's one big ghetto no sweet spot's" lol so again do your research. Off hand Ill tell you a few I would tell you to look into. Besides MDPD: Miami Beach PD, Miami PD, Miami Gardens PD, Doral PD. Do your research well!
                        Be Safe and God Bless,
                        -Mike

Florida D.O.C.= 3 years
                        Certified LEO= 4/30/08
                        Police Officer= Processing!

Comment

Thanks for all of your continued replies, it gives me a lot of food for thought!

Comment

spanish??

always wanted to apply for miami pd but always had one thing stop me! I dont speak any spanish! I heard from my friends who live over there that no spanish would be a major deterrent in me getting hired there! would love to hear what u guys think or KNOW! about this!

Comment

Originally posted by ende333 View Post
                              always wanted to apply for miami pd but always had one thing stop me! I dont speak any spanish! I heard from my friends who live over there that no spanish would be a major deterrent in me getting hired there! would love to hear what u guys think or KNOW! about this!
                              Not true at all. I know a lot of officers who only speak english. It's going to suck cause you will run into spanish speaking citizens on a daily basis. Just give a call to one of your partners that do speak spanish. That's how every one else does it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6330 users online. 350 members and 5980 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X