300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police applicants

Is it true that if I was an MP in the military that I don't have to go through any basic training or any academies in FL? I'm in the AF now and will get out in 2010 with almost 6 yrs experience. Just wondering if this was true.
    "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

I would think you would have to goto some sort of Academy to learn certain state laws and such
    All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

I was in the academy with other MP's and one of them told me that he was offered a comparative compliance course, which is about 6 weeks but he declined to go through the whole thing for a better understanding.

Comment

I heard something about MP's being able to go through an abbrivated academy but you still have to pass the state test. I was a MP in the Army for 5 years and with the minimial training that I received while I was in the Army, I would not feel comfortable just hitting the streets. If I was given the option I would go through the academy. To me military police and being a civilian cop are two totaly different beasts.

Comment

If your time was working the flight line or missle fields, you will not be able to do comparitive compliance. Just because you were SFS doesnt mean crap. I would suggest going thru the full academy.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Go to an academy that offers a comparitive compliance course and have your military training and experience evlauated on a CJSTC 76 form. I FDLE approves, you can go that route for certification. The course at Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City is only 12 days long with the state exam following on the next Monday after the session ends.
            Other academy courses are even shorter (Chipola Jr. College's academy program is only a week long if I remember correctly). It's all in the number of required training hours in the four high liability training areas (1st responder, driving, DT, firearms) and a block of training in Florida criminal law which totals about 112 hours (this may have changed, my info is about 5 yrs old now).
            Last edited by Blueribbon; 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM. Reason: update of info
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If you were smart, and I'm sure you are, I'd go through the full academy. Enroll with the GI bill and that will cover your tuition rates plus leave you with much needed extra coin. You'll never realized just how much you didnt know until you go through an entire academy. Learn your amendments, case laws and DT. Go through a real EVOC course and learn from experts.

Trust me, I chose to do it also having spent nearly a decade as an Army MP and 4 years as a DoD cop. You wont regret it down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                If you were smart, and I'm sure you are, I'd go through the full academy. Enroll with the GI bill and that will cover your tuition rates plus leave you with much needed extra coin. You'll never realized just how much you didnt know until you go through an entire academy. Learn your amendments, case laws and DT. Go through a real EVOC course and learn from experts.

Trust me, I chose to do it also having spent nearly a decade as an Army MP and 4 years as a DoD cop. You wont regret it down the road.
                Amen......Preach On Brother.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  Amen......Preach On Brother.....
                  I try....I'm just a younger version of you sir...I will carry on your legacy...

Comment

I try....I'm just a younger version of you sir...I will carry on your legacy...
                    Thanks.....

I've preached on this subject multiple times......and am happy to see others follow suit.....

As the trainnig you get at Fort Lost-in-the-Woods will get you killed or hurt badly in the real world.......

Didn't one of the FLW MP instructors even say that a few days ago in another thread...?

Comment

Yeah, I do believe he did. I just wish everyone knew that. Why certain states accept Military Police as a "lateral" experience is beyond me.

Now, I fully realize that some installations are busy. I know some that have triple the case load of local agencies. I knew some sh** hot MP's who knew their jobs and were very professional. I knew many who went on to bigger and better things and are now working out in the real world. I knew guys who had an uncanny ability to go out and find dope. I knew others who could sniff a drunk a mile away. I knew some who could handle a domestic like it was their primary job. Some had the ability to use their mouth and I knew others where their mouths would get them into trouble. I knew some guys who had spent their entire enlistment or 3 in garrison units, always working the road in some specialized section. I knew some guys like me who had to reenlist just to get into the PMO, after 6 deployments. Some just got lucky and some were stuck doing connex drills all day and writing counseling statements or NCOER's in the PLT office. Some of these guys, it was a pleasure to work with and I'd give my life backing them up on whatever they needed help with. Some to this day are very successful in their careers, out in the real world. Those who stayed in, are on their umteenth tour overseas...

And...

I knew some who were complete idiots. Some who had no idea, no discipline, no tact, no tactics, no common sense, or no clue about life. The last thing some of them needed to do was to strap on a gun, have keys to a police vehicle with lights, and a ticket book. I knew some who had no business within that field and were probably better suited for some other MOS. The selection process and training went downhill overnight.

The last few years, the majority, and I mean 90%, didnt give a crap about law enforcement. They were too busy sleeping in their cars, trying to sh**can decent cases, text messaging, or yapping on their cell phones all day and night. There was a small percentage who actually cared about working the road. And all it did for them was dip their finger in the icing on the cake, to get them a small, yet brief taste of what it could be like. I proudly served and I will never forget it.

Moral of the story...:

Go through a real academy. Enlighten your brain. Learn a ton from those who've done it longer than you've been alive. Embrace it. You can NEVER get enough training.

Comment

Yeah, I do believe he did. I just wish everyone knew that. Why certain states accept Military Police as a "lateral" experience is beyond me.

Now, I fully realize that some installations are busy. I know some that have triple the case load of local agencies. I knew some sh** hot MP's who knew their jobs and were very professional. I knew many who went on to bigger and better things and are now working out in the real world. I knew guys who had an uncanny ability to go out and find dope. I knew others who could sniff a drunk a mile away. I knew some who could handle a domestic like it was their primary job. Some had the ability to use their mouth and I knew others where their mouths would get them into trouble. I knew some guys who had spent their entire enlistment or 3 in garrison units, always working the road in some specialized section. I knew some guys like me who had to reenlist just to get into the PMO, after 6 deployments. Some just got lucky and some were stuck doing connex drills all day and writing counseling statements or NCOER's in the PLT office. Some of these guys, it was a pleasure to work with and I'd give my life backing them up on whatever they needed help with. Some to this day are very successful in their careers, out in the real world. Those who stayed in, are on their umteenth tour overseas...

And...

I knew some who were complete idiots. Some who had no idea, no discipline, no tact, no tactics, no common sense, or no clue about life. The last thing some of them needed to do was to strap on a gun, have keys to a police vehicle with lights, and a ticket book. I knew some who had no business within that field and were probably better suited for some other MOS. The selection process and training went downhill overnight.

The last few years, the majority, and I mean 90%, didnt give a crap about law enforcement. They were too busy sleeping in their cars, trying to sh**can decent cases, text messaging, or yapping on their cell phones all day and night. There was a small percentage who actually cared about working the road. And all it did for them was dip their finger in the icing on the cake, to get them a small, yet brief taste of what it could be like. I proudly served and I will never forget it.

Moral of the story...:

Go through a real academy. Enlighten your brain. Learn a ton from those who've done it longer than you've been alive. Embrace it. You can NEVER get enough training.

...Amen!

Comment

The "shortened" version of the academy will not take you less time to complete. You will actually attend a regular academy class when they cover the subjects you need. So you will go sporadically.

And then you will fail the state test.
                          Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                          Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6135 users online. 352 members and 5783 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X