300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP, Have questions !

Hello, my name is Michael Ruiz. I'm 17. I currently live in Orlando Florida. Im in my first year of college. I'm majoring Computer Science. What i'm planning on doing is, joining the Florida Highway Patrol.

Now, what i'm thinking of doing is 5 months before I get my AA in Computer Science, begin the application process & hopefully get accepted to attend the academy. Now if accepted, I plan to pass the academy & all the other needed tests and begin working for the Florida Highway Patrol.

Then while working for the Highway Patrol, take 1-2 classes to work my way towards my bachelors degree in computer science & using the tuition plan they offer.

Reason I want to do it this way instead of just go straight for my bachelors is in the future, I think I want to go federal, and I think it would be smarter to get my degree and build field experience at the same time.

I still have a year and a half to figure all this out anyway.

Also, your wondering why i'm majoring in computer science? Well its a great degree to have, especially since now, we use computers for almost everything. Having knowledge with computers I think is a great benefit to any trooper/officer. Especially if in the future, they plan to go federal, which I am considering, but not in a rush to decide.

Also, I know the risks, I know the pay involved with this career. Im not joining Law Enforcement to get rich, but to do something that I love, and enjoy. I am really deeply serious about getting myself into this career.
    Last edited by mruiz46; 09-09-2008, 10:47 PM.

A lot of people get their degrees while employeed with a law enforcement agency. Seems like you have a good plan for your future.

Comment

Thank you

Also, what im saying can be done then right? Im not being misslead by text or missunderstanding?

Comment

If you want to go federal you might want to start at a department that does criminal investigations (Not saying anything at all bad against FHP, but it wouldn't give you a whole lot of investigative experience). Also, if you want to go federal you should probably have a master's degree in your plans not just a BA.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
          If you want to go federal you might want to start at a department that does criminal investigations (Not saying anything at all bad against FHP, but it wouldn't give you a whole lot of investigative experience). Also, if you want to go federal you should probably have a master's degree in your plans not just a BA.
          Well like I said, Im not for sure if im going federal or not, I have to think....
          But how does my plan sound so far?

Comment

Stay clean:

Manage your finances (keep good credit), stay away from the drugs/excessive alcohol, gain steady employment, work towards a Master's degree, go on ride-alongs...try and do an internship with a PD or SO and you should be good.

Best of Luck!
            It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by ChRdy21799 View Post
              Stay clean:

Manage your finances (keep good credit), stay away from the drugs/excessive alcohol, gain steady employment, work towards a Master's degree, go on ride-alongs...try and do an internship with a PD or SO and you should be good.

Best of Luck!
              Thanks, but I think im gonna try what im thinking. When I get my AA begin working and take online classes or attend a university if i can fit it into my schedule

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6532 users online. 363 members and 6169 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X