Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP Chances?

Hello ladies and gents,

I'm currently thinking of switching careers into law enforcement. I'm 34yo, I have no criminal background whatsoever, no drug use, I have a bachelors degree in public administration and over 15 year work experience. I know this might sound like a cliche or tacky, however, I want to give back to my beloved state, and thus seriously thinking becoming an FHP trooper. I know, I've heard the horror stories, low morale, pay sucks, etc... however, this is no different than corporate America, I'm definitely not in it for the money, as I will make more money in the private sector, I just want to make a difference, and thus have my heart set on the FHP. The only blemish on my record is my bankruptcy, my wife and I, had to file for bankruptcy several years ago, we filed for Chapter 7 reorganization, whereby we had to pay back the debt, albeit, less than what it originally was of course. Needless to say, we did it, we paid it all back, however, the bankruptcy is still in my record. Having said this, should I apply to the FHP? I certainly don't want to waste their time, but my heart is made up and would love to have the opportunity to become a trooper. Do you think is possible? Giving by credit history. Thank you all, and God bless.

Go for it! Knowing the low-pay and what your getting yourself into... If you have your mind set to it, do it. Just make sure you can live with what you make with them.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
      Go for it! Knowing the low-pay and what your getting yourself into... If you have your mind set to it, do it. Just make sure you can live with what you make with them.
      Thanks ERMDPD, my wife and have talked about it, and have made financial planning. That bankruptcy gave us a real lesson. We are now smarter with our finances. Again thanks for your reply and words of encouragement. Be safe out there.

Comment

I'd say go for it. You're education, experience in the work sector, and good background will be very positive for you. The age shouldn't preclude you, though trooper academys tend to be very tough so just be sure you're in shape for it. As for the bankruptcy, you'll more than likely have to explain it to the BI, but if there was ever a great time to try to get on FHP (in terms of greatest % chance), now would be that time it seems.

Make sure you focus in your application on what strengths you can bring to this field and to law enforcement in general from your years of work experience, that will help draw attention away from what appears to be your only weak spot.

As the other poster stated, be sure you are making a sound financial choice going this route as well, and keep in mind SHP can make you work anywhere in the state, so be prepared to possibly have to move.

Good luck!

Comment

Enisei, thanks for your response and words of encouragement. I'm hitting the gym 5 times a week, running and doing some light weights, mainly building my cardio strenght, hopefully to be in good shape for the academy. My wife and family has been very supportive, we've talked about moving anywhere in the state, we currently reside in Miami; I would love to come back to S. Florida after the academy, but I'm ready to serve anywhere in the state.

Comment

You will more than likely stay in the South Florida area. I heard it's where FHP needs most troopers right now.

Comment

Got for it!!!, Now, the issue with your credit is easy to explain to a BI,plus you took care of it so is non-issue,as far as moving anywhere,well is a possibility,but you are in Miami and for what i understand they need Troopers in S.FL.
              Like others had said,just make sure you are well aware of the pay issues,because at this point people are joining FHP ,is not for the money but for the love of the job!!!

Comment

Originally posted by costeno23 View Post
                Like others had said,just make sure you are well aware of the pay issues,because at this point people are joining FHP ,is not for the money but for the love of the job!!!
                Thank you guys for the encourament, I already applied, so the waiting game begins. I will keep you posted as I go along in the process. To comment on this quote, you nailed it, I'm definitely not in it for the money but for the love of the job.

Comment

FHPhopeful,

There are a few guys on here that are pretty far along in the process, including myself. If you have any questions just feel free to ask. There are some Troopers on here as well that chim in every now and then.

Check this thread out as well, great info.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87077

Good Luck!

It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

FHPhopeful,

You won't have a problem. FHP is desperate for warm bodies and will take nearly anyone. You won't have a problem staying in South Florida since 90% of the class will end up there. Miami is a hot spot for new Troopers. Be prepared to make peanuts for a living. You most likely won't be able to survive on the pay so either have a wife with a good job or be prepared to work lots of off duty when you get off probation. There's a reason why FHP is losing people left and right but if you still want to do it, be my guest. At least you know the situation prior to getting involved. As far as the physical fitness, be able to run 2 miles by the start of the academy and be doing lots of pushups. Throughout the day anytime the thought crosses your mind, drop down and knock out 25-30. This will help you tremendously. Don't be one of the people that shows up and can't do 5 pushups or run .25 miles before falling out. You'll make your life easier by being prepared to do the exercises they will have you doing. Good luck if you decide to go forward with this.

Comment

Good post cnfowler
                      It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                        FHPhopeful,

You won't have a problem. FHP is desperate for warm bodies and will take nearly anyone. You won't have a problem staying in South Florida since 90% of the class will end up there. Miami is a hot spot for new Troopers. Be prepared to make peanuts for a living. You most likely won't be able to survive on the pay so either have a wife with a good job or be prepared to work lots of off duty when you get off probation. There's a reason why FHP is losing people left and right but if you still want to do it, be my guest. At least you know the situation prior to getting involved. As far as the physical fitness, be able to run 2 miles by the start of the academy and be doing lots of pushups. Throughout the day anytime the thought crosses your mind, drop down and knock out 25-30. This will help you tremendously. Don't be one of the people that shows up and can't do 5 pushups or run .25 miles before falling out. You'll make your life easier by being prepared to do the exercises they will have you doing. Good luck if you decide to go forward with this.
                        Thank you guys for the tips, and words of encouragement. My wife and I have talked about it extensively, we even have changed our speding habits and budgeted ourselves within the salary range, 30-35K, I've kept it conservative, not adding the additional pay for a bachelors degree and the difference in pay for south florida. As far as the physical fitness portion, I joined my local gym and are running 1 mile every day, slowly building my cardio, my goal is to be able to run 3 miles without breaking a sweat.
                        As far as the pushups are concerned, I have not tought about it , however, I will follow your advice and try to do as many as I can throughout the day. Agains gents, thank you very much for all your support, tips, pointers, and most of all encouragement, I will keep you posted on the progress. Thank you, be safe, and God bless you all!

Comment

Good luck, the salary range is depressing.

Comment

I am no expert but from my research FHP is really BIG on getting people with good credit. You may want to try or contact a recruiter before trying. Good luck.

Comment

My .02

Howdy FHPhopefull,
                              I tend to differ from what my fellow Trooper said, but these days you never know who they are going to hire. So he/she is somewhat correct. However,
                              WE DO NOT HIRE just any warm body. You still have to at least meet the minimum qualifications. We still screen applicants and conduct a very intense BI. I work closely with a So Fl BI so I constantly ask him about how the hiring process is. By the caliber of new troopers that come out of the academy, I can tell you that we have lowered our recruiting standards, but still it's not as easy as people may think. Also the academy is not a walk in the park. As far as I know if you have declared bankruptcy in the past 5 years, your chances decrease at being hired (not only by FHP but other agencies). In fact, bankruptcy is an automatic DQ'd if it occurred in the past 5 years with the County. Keep on working, and make sure that you explain to the BI everything in detail.
                              Good luck and if you need anything answer let me know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5670 users online. 304 members and 5366 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X