300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDPD Gun list

Does anyone have a list of what guns miami dade allows you to carry on duty.

I don't have the list but I know for pistols they only allow 9mm caliber as of right now. Certain .223 rifles and the remington 870 shotgun.

I know two of the pistols are the Glock 17 and G26.

If your thinking about purchasing a weapon now because you might be in the process with MDPD, don't do it. They tend to change around what they allow once in a while. They allowed you to carry .40s & .45s few years ago. I also heard maybe next year they might issue some AR-15s.

Comment

Are MDPD recruits required to purchase a pistol before the academy?
      John from Maryland

Comment

yes.
        only the sig sauer p226
        in the academy

Comment

It's been 9mm for several years. Unless you have been grandfathered in you will be using Sig p226's in a 9mm. If you want to use a glock you have to qualify with it AFTER you graduate from the academy (which I think is stupid). And it has to be in the 17 with a Miami barrel. Which is only carried by Lou's. Also, I believe the County still has a contract with Lou's and you have to purchase your SIG from them also. MDPD in my opinion needs to update their list of duty weapons.

I was with one of my best friends (Sgt. MDPD) at the gun show this weekend and I was looking at a couple of .45's for duty use and being a CO with the County he couldnt believe that the Corrections Department had a much wider choice than PD. Our choices are anything from 9mm, .40, and .45. And can go with S&W,Ruger,Sig Sauer,Glock, and H&K. And we may qualify with multiple weapons.

Comment

The "Miami" barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by MDC74 View Post
              It's been 9mm for several years. Unless you have been grandfathered in you will be using Sig p226's in a 9mm. If you want to use a glock you have to qualify with it AFTER you graduate from the academy (which I think is stupid). And it has to be in the 17 with a Miami barrel. Which is only carried by Lou's. Also, I believe the County still has a contract with Lou's and you have to purchase your SIG from them also. MDPD in my opinion needs to update their list of duty weapons.
              I was with one of my best friends (Sgt. MDPD) at the gun show this weekend and I was looking at a couple of .45's for duty use and being a CO with the County he couldnt believe that the Corrections Department had a much wider choice than PD. Our choices are anything from 9mm, .40, and .45. And can go with S&W,Ruger,Sig Sauer,Glock, and H&K. And we may qualify with multiple weapons.
              You can qualify with the 17 now in the academy. My cousin went to Lou's and purchased the G17 & G26, qualified with both. I also believe the county has a contract with Lou's. What I think is dumb is how they aren't allowing us to qualify with the AR-15 right now in the academy because "it isn't fair to senior officers that would like to carry an AR". I kind of understand it not being fair but I still think it's dumb making everyone come back after graduation just to qualify with another rifle. Might as well save everyone time and do it that same week of fire arms.

I agree with the county needing to update and expand their options of weapons.

Comment

Are the Sigs DAO, DAK, or DA/SA?

Comment

Just thought I'd share with you guys...

All 38 recruits of MPI 106 had a choice of guns to buy... all 38 bought the glock 17 as their on-duty pistol. 30 recruits purchased the glock 26 as their BUG (back up). The other 8 either didn't get another pistol or went with another BUG.

Comment

Does City of Miami issue different guns than Miami-Dade?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
                      Does City of Miami issue different guns than Miami-Dade?
                      Yes they do.
                      I believe they allow both .9mm & .40s

Comment

Do you by chance know what makes and models? I do believe Miami-Dade allows the Glocks in 9mm and Sig P226 in 9mm as well. However what about City of Miami?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
                          Do you by chance know what makes and models? I do believe Miami-Dade allows the Glocks in 9mm and Sig P226 in 9mm as well. However what about City of Miami?
                          The City of Miami issues Glock 22 .40 cal only for duty.
                          sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

Thanks. Do they have a different authorized weapons list or just Glock 22/23/27?

Comment

Thought I'd add to this thread...

For some reason MDPD doesn't allow the Blackhawk holsters. I think they allow any level 1 holster. If you want a level 2 or 3 it must be from Safariland. They don't allow any ALS (auto locking system) holsters, which kind of sucks. I wanted a level 2 or 3 with ALS. I thought the ALS was the best thing invented for holsters & officers to detain a person quickly after they had some one at gun point. Oh well...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5631 users online. 345 members and 5286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X