Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of State Applicants

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Out of State Applicants

    I have notice most FL jobs require that you are already certified as an officer. How does this work for out of state folks? I am working towards a degree, but wont be a certified officer when I am done. Is this the norm?

    I have been checking out Daytona Beach area departments since I have visited several of those areas.
    Thomas - aka HUCK
    PST II - Police Service Tech II


  • #2
    A big city or county may sponsor you through the academy. Or you can go tot he closest academy and self sponsor. However, out of state people are mostly going to pay over 6k to get through the academy.

    Comment


    • #3
      Self-sponsor is a big thing in FL. Amendment 1 has made it almost impossible to get a sponsorship.
      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

      Comment


      • #4
        so if you self sponsor how long is the course?? sounds like being out of state and applying is a pain in the rear
        Thomas - aka HUCK
        PST II - Police Service Tech II

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by huck911 View Post
          so if you self sponsor how long is the course?? sounds like being out of state and applying is a pain in the rear
          If you don't have a side job and go full time academy 18-20 weeks. If you want to work and do night academy 26-30 weeks.

          Comment


          • #6
            The full time academy I am in is 28 weeks. Its alomst impossible to work and do the acadmey where I am, almost every1 who has been working a part time job in my class has failed out.
            I enjoy life on the dirtroad

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fleetguy View Post
              The full time academy I am in is 28 weeks. Its alomst impossible to work and do the acadmey where I am, almost every1 who has been working a part time job in my class has failed out.
              Dang 28 weeks? Full time? May I ask where your taking it? The night only academy is only 30 weeks at most at multiple places by where I'm at.


              I also wouldn't recommend working IF your going full time academy.
              Last edited by Snuffy65; 09-06-2008, 12:34 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the input. Sounds like if Florida is where I want to go I need to move and go to school in state. Might not look good on the old resume to have that many jobs in a short time. Guess there is always FHP.
                Thomas - aka HUCK
                PST II - Police Service Tech II

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thomas,

                  You already heard some info about the academy in FL related to cost and schedule, so keep that in mind. With a college degree and experience as a communicator that will go a long way to help you get a job in S. FL, but keep in mind being certified already is HUGE for many depts. It means they can sign you right up, have you out in the field in a few weeks, and they dont pay a dime for it (for the most part).

                  Another option you may want to consider is getting on with a dept near you, have them sponsor you through an academy (since you probably know people in the area), work there for some time and then try to apply in Florida. Out of State certified officers can transfer to Florida VERY easily, one of the few states in the US that makes it easy. But you need to have that certificate and a few years experience for most depts.

                  If you are hell-bent on coming to Florida in the next few months or 1 year, then by all means go down and sign up for a community program to get certified, but if you come to Florida with patrol experience, a BA/BS college degree, certified in any state, and a good head, You can get on nearly any dept that's hiring. Just know that experience and a degree goes a long way this day in age, in getting on with a department. Guys who paid their own way through a local program but have no experience or degree are finding it more difficult to find jobs down here because depts, especially the ones under 500 sworn, can be more picky about who they hire, than they could be in the past. Just my .02 cents.

                  Good luck with your choice.
                  Last edited by enisei; 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well i'll say NC FL. I know for a fact some of the academy admin are on this site.....
                    I enjoy life on the dirtroad

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      huck911 there are a few things you have to do to be considerd a FL resident by the college system. Its not as easy as moving here and getting a FL DL. I'm not sure about the amount of time but I want to say 6 months. Out of state tuition is like +80%.
                      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        well i think i will stick around finish school here, maybe get on a reserve position and get a certification that way, and then try to go to a FL department. once again thanks for the input guys.
                        Thomas - aka HUCK
                        PST II - Police Service Tech II

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a question regarding the certification of OOS officers.

                          I am a Parole Officer in Alabama. Alabama parole officers are state certified law enforcement officers with arrest powers etc... Meaning I graduated from a police academy.

                          Does this experience transfer over to florida. I am planning on applying to Tampa PD.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If I am correct, having your law enforcement certificate "transfer" to Florida means you must fulfill two basic stipulations: 1) you must have attended any state certified academy that trains you in a list of certain categories (Domestic dispute, search and seizure laws, self-defense, etc) and 2) you must be working in a law enforcement capacity (not security work) for at least 2 years NOT including time spent in the academy. It sounds like you should be fine as a parole officer. As long as you HAVE the ability to enforce local and state laws, regardless of how you do it or how often, you should be ok.

                            I recommend you check out the FDLE website, look there and you should find a list of community colleges that do a "certification transfer" (it costs $200.00). Give them a call and just find out for sure, most of them are very polite and help anyway they can.



                            Originally posted by England View Post
                            I have a question regarding the certification of OOS officers.

                            I am a Parole Officer in Alabama. Alabama parole officers are state certified law enforcement officers with arrest powers etc... Meaning I graduated from a police academy.

                            Does this experience transfer over to florida. I am planning on applying to Tampa PD.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by enisei View Post
                              If I am correct, having your law enforcement certificate "transfer" to Florida means you must fulfill two basic stipulations: 1) you must have attended any state certified academy that trains you in a list of certain categories (Domestic dispute, search and seizure laws, self-defense, etc) and 2) you must be working in a law enforcement capacity (not security work) for at least 2 years NOT including time spent in the academy. It sounds like you should be fine as a parole officer. As long as you HAVE the ability to enforce local and state laws, regardless of how you do it or how often, you should be ok.

                              I recommend you check out the FDLE website, look there and you should find a list of community colleges that do a "certification transfer" (it costs $200.00). Give them a call and just find out for sure, most of them are very polite and help anyway they can.

                              Thanks, I'll check it out.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6160 users online. 339 members and 5821 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X