300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Handicapped Placard question.

By no means is this important and its more of an "Ask a cop" type thread/question, but specifically for Florida, so I figured I'd post here.

I know how the laws and protocol are for where I work (Las Vegas, NV), but wanted to have a couple questions answered if possible for my Grandfather in Florida (Delray Beach, FL).

My Grandmother, who passed away several months ago, had a handicapped placard strictly for parking purposes. She never drove and stopped driving many years ago (thankfully). However, my grandfather would use the placard with her so she wouldn't have to walk far distances.

He hasn't put much thought into the handicapped placard or handicapped license plates, mainly due to the fact that they have had it for so many years, both in New York and in Florida when they moved to Florida roughly 8 years ago, give or take.

Recently however, his neighbor received a "citation" from a "volunteer" police officer from the Sheriffs Department for not "being" handicapped and using the handicapped placard and license plates.

I used quotations because I'm going to assume that in Florida, this is probably the largest issue than any other state might face. I asked several questions and the response I received from my grandfather was that many police departments and sheriffs departments locally use some of the citizens to volunteer to do traffic control and issue traffic tickets and citations. His terms could very easily be confused or wrong, but thats the impression he is under regarding what happened.

His main question he was concerned about and wanted me to clarify for him was the following:

1. Could he face any tickets/citations/etc for driving a vehicle (which was and always has been) registered to him with handicapped license plates and/or a handicapped placard, if he is not considered handicapped?

2. Same question above, but reference parking (instead of just operating a motor vehicle) in a handicapped parking spot with the handicapped placard and license plates?
    He probably should just get his Doctor to write a letter and goto DMV because I'm sure he would be "qualified", but as of now, he is not considered handicapped. My basis for this by the way is that he has a difficult time walking far distances and often uses a cane if he knows he's going to be walking a decent amount.

3. My question, not his, does this seem to make any sense to other Officers from the FL area? Do you think its more than likely a volunteer issuing a "warning" or is it an actual citation with a fine, etc? Here in Las Vegas, as long as the vehicle has either a handicapped placard and/or handicapped license plates/registration, it can be parked in a handicapped parking spot. I don't speak for other Officers here, but I personally, have never issued a citation, warning, or even considered looking into the fact on whether or not the driver of a vehicle is handicapped or not, based on the usage of a handicapped placard and/or plates/registration. But I'm sure like I said before, this is more of an issue and problem in FL than anywhere else.

Thanks in advance for any replies and sorry for the long in depth question.
    Any questions, feel free to ask, and I can ask my Grandfather for clarification.
    The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

It is a second degree misdemeanor to use someone else's handicapped placard to park in a handicapped spot (obviously not the case if that person is riding with you).

Comment

Chris, thanks, I assumed that was the case. So based on that, I will tell him what I already told him, which is not to park in the handicapped parking spots unless he gets a placard for himself.

Does he need to switch to regular license plates?
      That was another one of his concerns.

Also, how do you guys go about enforcing the fact that even though a vehicle has the handicapped license plates/registration and placard, that the driver or passenger is actually handicapped?

Thanks.
      The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

The placards have serial numbers, and the DL# of the person they are assigned to.

Like mentioned, it is a misdemeanor to unlawfully use the handicapped placard of another. You would also get the cite for parking in a handicapped space.

Our volunteers issue violations too, not "warnings". So it is probable that the volunteer issued an actual parking citation.

Comment

Originally posted by MRRBEST View Post

Also, how do you guys go about enforcing the fact that even though a vehicle has the handicapped license plates/registration and placard, that the driver or passenger is actually handicapped?

Thanks.
          Well obviously you have to use a little common sense. The statute is used more for the 21 year old that uses great grandma's placard so he can get closer to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
            Well obviously you have to use a little common sense. The statute is used more for the 21 year old that uses great grandma's placard so he can get closer to the liquor store.
            Thats why I asked because I was surprised to hear him tell me his neighbor, who is over 80 years old, received the ticket.

Originally posted by APDSgt View Post
            The placards have serial numbers, and the DL# of the person they are assigned to.

Like mentioned, it is a misdemeanor to unlawfully use the handicapped placard of another. You would also get the cite for parking in a handicapped space.

Our volunteers issue violations too, not "warnings". So it is probable that the volunteer issued an actual parking citation.
            Gotcha, that makes sense.
            So last question, as long as he does not park in a handicapped space, can he leave the registration/plates alone or does he need to update them to "regular" registration/plates?

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let him know the info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5700 users online. 320 members and 5380 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X