300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future with TPD

I have a 2 year degree from SPC. I want to attend the academy next summer and my first choice would be TPD. I have done a ride-a-long with TPD and fell in love with being a police officer with TPD. I am currently working for an armored truck company till my girl gets done with grad school next summer and then I will attend the academy, most likely HCC. I have no record, no drug usage, clean driving history and I am 28 yrs old. I am wondering what else I can do so I look better and maybe get hired after the academy with TPD? I want to go back and get my BA degree once I am in an agency. Thanks.

it sounds to me like youve got your ducks in a row. just make sure that your finances are in order and keep your nose clean.

good luck!

Comment

They say TPD is very competitive due to it being a great agency, but you have a good background/qualifications.

Worst case scenario, spend a year or two with a smaller agency (TPD likes previous experience) and then get on with Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester9 View Post
        They say TPD is very competitive due to it being a great agency, but you have a good background/qualifications.

Worst case scenario, spend a year or two with a smaller agency (TPD likes previous experience) and then get on with Tampa.
        Suggestion here is to go with HCSO then after the two years and free academy; switch to TPD.

Comment

I would finish getting your BA before I applied.
          In GOD we trust, everyone else we run on Tele!!!!

Comment

I'll second that above post...Finish your BA. I'd ALMOST say a BA from a university/college is worth more than a few years exp...to get hired. In the field, the exp is worth more for sure. Depts love to talk about how "??% of their officers has a college degree or higher" and citizens like to hear that too. Having 2 or 3 years of experience may not carry as much weight, especially in the public eye, as everyone will eventually get that over time. Not necessarily so with the degree.

Trying to join a smaller agency is also a great idea. While you're there, finish your degree. A degree with experience and a background like yours, you'll get into any dept in the state.

Good luck!

Comment

Does TPD have take-home cars? Their website doesn't say...

Comment

Originally posted by Ten4 View Post
                I would finish getting your BA before I applied.
                I would say get the job then finish. In today's techologically advanced environment. People can finish school without the traditional full time campus experience that I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat View Post
                  Does TPD have take-home cars? Their website doesn't say...
                  yes, not right away though.
                  Originally posted by England View Post
                  I would say get the job then finish. In today's techologically advanced environment. People can finish school without the traditional full time campus experience that I had.
                  he means you will have a better chance of being hired with a BA than an AA

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6099 users online. 315 members and 5784 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X