300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP Duty Station Question

I flew from Connecticut to Orlando this past week to take the CJBAT/PAT test. While we were there, Capt. Crotta explained that we would not find out our duty station until week 20 of the academy. I recieved an email from the Tallahasee Chief Recruiter stating that we would be called BEFORE the academy and told what our duty station would be. (Even if we are not certified). Just wondering which it is: Are we told before or after the academy starts.

Originally posted by tylerfox View Post
    I flew from Connecticut to Orlando this past week to take the CJBAT/PAT test. While we were there, Capt. Crotta explained that we would not find out our duty station until week 20 of the academy. I received an email from the Tallahassee Chief Recruiter stating that we would be called BEFORE the academy and told what our duty station would be. (Even if we are not certified). Just wondering which it is: Are we told before or after the academy starts.
    When I read stuff like this it makes me extremely mad. This is an issue that FHP has been dealing with for sometime now and they (the brass in Tallahassee) are having a tough time figuring it out. It used to be that you found out after the state exam, about your 20th week or so. Then it was changed to "before you went to the academy". Now is something in between and they don't even know which one is it. This should be a red flag for you. What a pathetic way to run an agency, man, I'm sorry.

Look, I'm sure you have your reasons to come to FHP, but let me tell you, the future does not look good for this agency. We are losing people as soon as they hit their 2 years on. Heck, some troopers are leaving as soon as they get done with FTO. This agency is being run into the ground by the administration, and I don't think they care much. It's a shame!!
    Good luck to you and if you need anything else answered, let me know.

Comment

Haven't seen you here in a while Frost, hope you're well man.
      It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by ChRdy21799 View Post
        Haven't seen you here in a while Frost, hope you're well man.
        Thanks, I've been alright! Busy with school, work, and it's back to school for my kids so basketball practice is in full swing, and PTA stuff usually keeps me busy during the school year as well. Hope you are all well too. You still attending the FHP academy January 2009? Good luck.
        Take care.

Comment

They keep changing it back and forth. As far as I know now they tell you at week 20 in the academy. It would help with recruiting if they adjusted this though in my opinion. People can't sell their homes right now and who really wants to pick up and move for 33k?

Comment

Originally posted by BOSMIA View Post
            They keep changing it back and forth. As far as I know now they tell you at week 20 in the academy. It would help with recruiting if they adjusted this though in my opinion. People can't sell their homes right now and who really wants to pick up and move for 33k?
            You are right. That's exactly the position that I am in living in CT. I would certainly have to be told, before I go down there, where I would be going. I have a desire to return to Lakeland. But I am not selling my house and moving my family down there to go to Miami. That's not gonna work for me, especially since I was led to believe in that email that we were told ahead of time. Well, I guess I will wait and see what happens.
            Last edited by tylerfox; 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

PS Anyone who still knows for sure, what they do when they select you, feel free to respond

Comment

Originally posted by frostbiteCRA View Post
                You still attending the FHP academy January 2009? Good luck.
                Take care.
                I'd like to! I still have a few steps left and I should be good. Overall things are going slow, but well.

I'll keep you posted. I'm sure if I get in I'll have a few questions!

It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

PS Anyone who still knows for sure, what they do when they select you, feel free to respond

I remember the 115th BRC was able to chose their assignment before they went to the Academy. When that happened, based on the roster from that class (available on FHP web site), everyone went back home and no one went to the areas in need of Troopers.

When I went to the May PAT in Miami Capt. Crotta said Miami, Orlando, and Tampa were in need for Troopers the most. So if you want Lakeland, you could go for Orlando or Tampa then put in a transfer for Polk if there are openings....just an idea.

Tough decision!

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Last edited by grd2326; 11-19-2011, 12:07 PM.
                    "work harder ... millions on welfare depend on you"

Comment

Originally posted by ChRdy21799 View Post
                      When I went to the May PAT in Miami Capt. Crotta said Miami, Orlando, and Tampa were in need for Troopers the most. So if you want Lakeland, you could go for Orlando or Tampa then put in a transfer for Polk if there are openings....just an idea.

Tough decision!
                      Actually I did consider that, and probably would do that if I were presented that scenario. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by grd2326 View Post
                        I noticed the starting pay seems very low for the state-wide agency ... what is the cost of living like?

The cost of living is high in South Florida. Not as bad up in North Florida. The startingpay FHP offers is below other agencies in South Florida. It's on par with other agencies in North Florida from what I have read on this board.

Comment

I am 100% positive they will give you your duty location toward the end of the academy. You can trade locations with others as well.

Comment

I talked to my background investigator last week and she told me that I will know where I will be stationed before I sign on the dotted line and take a job.

Comment

They changed it again?!?!?!? WTF?!? I hope they did, it will make life easier for many but that's not what I heard about a month ago.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3455 users online. 188 members and 3267 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X