Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FHP question regarding tattoos.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FHP question regarding tattoos.

    I apologize in advance if this has already been asked.

    On FHP's website it indicates that tattoos are not accepted on either your wrists or elbows.

    My question is: are you allowed to cover them with a bandage or long-sleeve uniform?

    I ask because here where I'm from, the NYPD recently changed their policy on tattoos. Prior to 2006 there was no policy against tattoos, now they can't be visible but you are allowed to wear a long-sleeve uniform which'll cover it or if you want to wear the short-sleeve uniform then you can cover the tattoos with ace bandages.
    NYPD
    Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
    Exam 8307 - 89.412
    Medical - passed
    Meet with BI - Investigative review

    Suffolk County PD
    2007 Exam - 86

    LAPD
    Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
    Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
    Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

  • #2
    I got stopped one time by an FHP he was a pretty cool guy he had a huge tat on his right arm just above his elbows but it was clearly visible.

    Comment


    • #3
      well, it doesn't say on the website that visible tattoos are prohibited, it just says that they can't be on your wrists/elbows.

      I had filled out my application and mailed it in earlier this year and they sent me the booklet to fill out for the BI I believe and a date when to go down for testing but I never went after reading that about their tattoo policy.

      I can send in the application again and get scheduled for another test date but I want to know that I'm not wasting my time because I have a tattoo of my son's name on my wrist.
      NYPD
      Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
      Exam 8307 - 89.412
      Medical - passed
      Meet with BI - Investigative review

      Suffolk County PD
      2007 Exam - 86

      LAPD
      Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
      Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
      Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know but with how bad things are with FHP.. assuming you have a good record I don't think they will say NO to you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, that's good to know.
          Exactly how bad are things with FHP and how strict are their BIs? I ask because NYPD's are pretty lax.
          Are you employed by a LE agency in the State of FL?
          NYPD
          Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
          Exam 8307 - 89.412
          Medical - passed
          Meet with BI - Investigative review

          Suffolk County PD
          2007 Exam - 86

          LAPD
          Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
          Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
          Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, go ahead and send your paperwork in...i also have a tattoo on my wrist and i went today and took my pat test... i asked the captain and he said it was close but i was good to go..i was very excited since i was thinking of not going to the pat at all..best of luck..and by the way they do have troopers with tattoo's our pat instructor had a tat...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by redfzn13 View Post
              Thanks, that's good to know.
              Exactly how bad are things with FHP and how strict are their BIs? I ask because NYPD's are pretty lax.
              Are you employed by a LE agency in the State of FL?
              Not yet.. I went through the application process with Miami-Dade Police Department... Waiting for the academy to start.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by costeno23 View Post
                Well, go ahead and send your paperwork in...i also have a tattoo on my wrist and i went today and took my pat test... i asked the captain and he said it was close but i was good to go..i was very excited since i was thinking of not going to the pat at all..best of luck..and by the way they do have troopers with tattoo's our pat instructor had a tat...
                Nice. Thanks.
                Good luck to you.

                Btw, my credit isn't the greatest and I still owe some money to 3 credit cards, about 1K each, would that be an issue? I heard they're pretty strict on credit history.

                Originally posted by ERMDPD
                Not yet.. I went through the application process with Miami-Dade Police Department... Waiting for the academy to start.
                Good luck.
                NYPD
                Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
                Exam 8307 - 89.412
                Medical - passed
                Meet with BI - Investigative review

                Suffolk County PD
                2007 Exam - 86

                LAPD
                Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
                Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
                Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks! As for your credit history they may question you but it shouldn't be a big problem... FHP doesn't just want people... THEY NEED!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
                    Thanks! As for your credit history they may question you but it shouldn't be a big problem... FHP doesn't just want people... THEY NEED!
                    Why do they have such a big retention problem?
                    I always figured it'd be better to work for a state agency than a city agency.
                    State Trooper positions up here in the Tri-State area are hard to come by.
                    NYPD
                    Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
                    Exam 8307 - 89.412
                    Medical - passed
                    Meet with BI - Investigative review

                    Suffolk County PD
                    2007 Exam - 86

                    LAPD
                    Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
                    Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
                    Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by redfzn13 View Post
                      Why do they have such a big retention problem?
                      I always figured it'd be better to work for a state agency than a city agency.
                      State Trooper positions up here in the Tri-State area are hard to come by.
                      Mainly because of pay. I forgot how much they make I think its like $33,000 a year and if you work the South Florida area they make like $36,000 or $37,000.

                      Read some threads here in the FL section about FHP. It should answer most questions you may have.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by redfzn13 View Post
                        Btw, my credit isn't the greatest and I still owe some money to 3 credit cards, about 1K each, would that be an issue? I heard they're pretty strict on credit history.

                        I'm an applicant with FHP. Just make sure you're paying your credit cards on time and that you have no accounts in collection...if you do, they are going to want paperwork showing you are making payments.

                        I'm also an applicant with LAPD. I did the Expedited Testing in July and I'm in Backgrounds right now. I can tell you LAPD is A LOT more strict with Credit/Finances than FHP. If you have any questions about the testing with LAPD just PM me.

                        Good Luck.
                        It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i do not work for FHP.
                          with that said the expectation is that you will wear long sleeves to cover up the tattoo during the academy and while assigned to the troop.

                          however, if your supervisor (once at a troop) says it's fine you will probably wear short sleeves like everyone else. just long sleeve it at court to be on the safe side and wear the shiny shoes.

                          anyone hired before 1-1-07 i believe was grandfathered. anyone after has to adhere to the new policy.

                          also, while not on topic- but info for those applying with, fhp is supposed to have tasers trickled down through the agency over the next year and a half.
                          they need it.
                          "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

                          Be that pig.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I see many local agencies and SO's do not have issue with tats. I see many cops and deputies with full sleeves.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BOSMIA View Post
                              I see many local agencies and SO's do not have issue with tats. I see many cops and deputies with full sleeves.
                              but many agencies seem to be trying to distance themselves from that as the LE 'industry' is streamlining the professionalism of the job.
                              i have a visible tattoo or so, my opinion is that its a personal choice, like tobacco use, hairstyle, etc.
                              "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

                              Be that pig.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4768 users online. 277 members and 4491 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X