300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to join mdpd got felony no conviction

I am 18 about to turn 19, I want to become a mEtro dade police officer, I got arrested when I turned 18 for grand theft 3rd degree, I did not get convicted tho, the judge gave me nolle proces. Am I still able to become a officer? Do I have to wait? I am in the process of getting it expunged but I no they will still see it. All info will be greatly appreciated, if I have to wait a couple years I will most likely enlist in the airforce for 4 years, will that help me out?

Look into another career. I don't think they or any other department will take you, honestly... Too many people apply with them and the City of Miami for them to look at someone that recently got arrested for a felony.

Also more than likely if you got caught you probably have several "undetected crimes" (previous thefts, drug usage, etc...)

Way to start off your adult life

Comment

Don't even think about it, it's not worth the heartache you'll have.

Comment

what if i sponser myself into the academy?

Comment

Getting a job in law enforcement is not really a matter of "passing" the hiring process. LEO jobs are very competitive, and with the economy on the down hill slide, these jobs will be even harder to get. Basically, you might be eligible to be hired somewhere, but why would an agency pick someone who was accused of a felony when there are 150 other applicants that meet the qualifications and have never had a brush with the law? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, it's just something to think about.
          Last edited by Florida Smokey; 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM. Reason: added comment

Comment

i guess you have a point, well ill go for the military first and then try that path

Comment

Yeah theft is not a crime to have been arrested for that is going to look good for you no matter what job you apply for, let alone law enforcement. With that arrest having been only a year ago from what it seems I'd say your chances are pretty much slim and none. In this day and age as it is you'll also be hard pressed to find too many agencies that are going to hire a 19 yr old anyone. You don't have the life experience most departments are looking for and having been arrested for grand theft a year ago they are going to see that as you not having the maturity level ready enough for this job. If the military is another option for you then maybe look into that. Do a few years there, gain some experience, mature, then come back in a couple years and try again. Stay out of trouble though in the mean time.

Comment

From what I hear, for every 30 openings the SO has, there are some 800 applicants. Why would they consider a recent felony arrestee?

Comment

The miltary is a better option for you. 20 year retirement, full medical, 30 day vacation,travel and many more incentives that exceed becoming a cop. If you want the job then become a cop in the Air Force. Once you retire you will only be 39 years old still young enough to join most law enforcement agencies and work on a second retirement. There are lots of people here that have taken that path. I wish that I had stayed in and done it that way. Good luck in you journey.
                  NCSHP
                  APPLICATION SUBMITTED OCT 2007
                  PHYSICAL AGILITY AND WRITTEN 156 T-SCORE
                  POLYGRAPH PASSED
                  BACKROUND COMPLETED
                  REVIEW BOARD NO GO
                  CONDITIONAL OFFER
                  PHYSICAL
                  PSYCHOLOGICAL
                  ACCEPTANCE LETTER
                  ACADEMY DATE NOV 12 2008

---------------------------------------------------
                  SUCCESS IS EARNED NOT GIVEN
                  sigpic

Comment

I also got arrested when I was 19 for CCW in Dade County. I thought my career choice was over. I enlisted in the ARMY, did 6 years and got out. immediately I got a job with DOC. While it did suck, I did get paid for training. While working, I went to the CROSS-OVER. Upon completion of the CROSS-Over, I got hired with a medium sized agency in North Florida. So, yes it is possible, you just have to work at it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmgolub View Post
                      I also got arrested when I was 19 for CCW in Dade County. I thought my career choice was over. I enlisted in the ARMY, did 6 years and got out. immediately I got a job with DOC. While it did suck, I did get paid for training. While working, I went to the CROSS-OVER. Upon completion of the CROSS-Over, I got hired with a medium sized agency in North Florida. So, yes it is possible, you just have to work at it.
                      Carrying Concealed Weapon or Carrying a firearm? I believe one is a misdemeanor and the other is a felony. Gotta double check on that. They'll let some misdemeanors slide but no felonys.

Comment

Originally posted by Toaf912 View Post
                        i guess you have a point, well ill go for the military first and then try that path
                        you can also try the NYPD
                        NYPD
                        Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
                        Exam 8307 - 89.412
                        Medical - passed
                        Meet with BI - Investigative review

Suffolk County PD
                        2007 Exam - 86

LAPD
                        Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
                        Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
                        Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

Comment

ccw weapon - misdemeanor, ccw firearm - felony

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5099 users online. 272 members and 4827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X