300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality Questions

So i recently decided to do a couple of things to my car, engine wise atleast out of sheer bored. the reason i post this here is because i plan on putting a turbo in my car but have had something brought to my attention in the form that its illegal to do this to my car. my question is directed to those of you LEO who know the state laws regarding this and if this is truely illegal. thank you for your help.

You would be fine. It is not illegal.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

thank you for the speedy response.

Comment

The turbo is fine, but the modified exhaust system that you'll hopefully be putting in afterward is illegal.

Comment

Any modifications that alter the pollution control equipment are also illegal.

But, the modified exhaust is really what gets people into trouble.

Comment

the exhaust i know is more of a sound pollution issue with the state. i believe its monitored in terms of db's?

Comment

In Florida, if the exhaust is modified from its original manufacturers condition, it is illegal.

Comment

There are different statutes dealing with the exhaust.

FSS 316.293 covers noise abatement - the enforcement section of the statute statute specifically DOES NOT say anything about decibels. subsection 5, it just states that any modification that is louder than it came from the factory is illegal. This is only a citation.

FSS 316.2935 covers pollution control equipment - tampering with the pollution control equipment - tampering means dismantling, removal or rendering ineffective ANY air pollution control devices or system which has been installed in the motor vehicle. Most of these violations are criminal, meaning you could be arrested, and your vehicle towed and impounded until it is compliance.

Be confident that almost anything you do to modify your vehicle, with few exceptions is probably illegal in someway.

Comment

Originally posted by MeNaCe305 View Post
                  So i recently decided to do a couple of things to my car, engine wise atleast out of sheer bored. the reason i post this here is because i plan on putting a turbo in my car but have had something brought to my attention in the form that its illegal to do this to my car. my question is directed to those of you LEO who know the state laws regarding this and if this is truely illegal. thank you for your help.
                  I'm not a police officer (yet) but I know many who are, and many who are into the hot rodding scene as well. I've never known anyone who got pulled over for just the modifications they have done to their car. I was also in a car club with multiple LEOs who had cars just as modified and sometimes more so than my own.

I think the simple rule of thumb is discretion. Don't put on any mods that make your car dangerous or a safety hazard, and don't go crazy with the exhaust or stereo systems, and don't drive like a jackass. The performance car scene is very big in Florida and it seems that FL LEOs understand and tolerate that.

My Mustang has an off road H-pipe and two chamber Flowmaster mufflers and is quite loud, but I always keep the RPM's down in neighborhoods or populated areas and drive safe. In the 4+ years I've had the car modded that way, not once have I ever had an officer even look at me sideways because of the car.

Comment

incORrectgramar is; illegL?
                    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

I remember when I lived in FL and being that I am from NYC and I drove a SRT-4 (2.4L turbo), I loved not having any emissions inspections
                      NYPD
                      Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
                      Exam 8307 - 89.412
                      Medical - passed
                      Meet with BI - Investigative review

Suffolk County PD
                      2007 Exam - 86

LAPD
                      Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
                      Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
                      Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

Comment

having a 5 inch fart can could get you pulled over but i don't know who would write that ticket.

i've found the fart can stops equals a lot of suspended dl's.
                        "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

316.293(5b) Muffler Modified to Emit Excessive Noise.

I use the above statue all the time for traffic stops(especially the fart cans) and have gotten good arrests out of them.

Comment

A turbo will actually cut down on the noise. So eventhough its illegal to mod the exhaust you will never get pulled over for it, because your not gonna have that fartcan sound.
                            I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3118 users online. 164 members and 2954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X