300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated

I swear, the job market for police officers in Florida sucks. I am keeping the names of the departments hidden.

I graduated from the police academy down here in February. I put my application into s local department. I did well on everything. I have a clean background, I did excellent on the PT exam, passed the Oral Board, passed the CVSA, and made it through the interview with the Chiefs. After I did the interview, the recruiting officer told me that she would call me in a day or two to let me know if they wanted to offer me a job. Well, 2 weeks go by without a word from her. So, I tried calling her and every time I do I get her voice mail. Finally, she calls me back and says they want to offer me a job as a Reserve Officer. I told her no, because I didn't apply for that and that I was getting married soon and needed a full time position. She said okay, let me talk to the Chiefs again and that she would call me in a day again. Yeah right. Another 2 weeks go by before she calls me. And she says that they want to offer me a full time position! Woohoo! She tells me that she will call next week to set up my orientation. Well, 3 weeks go by without a word. I finally get a hold of her. She tells me that they don't know if they can give me a job because the city council won't approve the money. She says she will call me in 2 weeks. Yet again, nothing from her.So, I start calling, and yet again all I get is her voicemail. Then, I get a letter in the mail saying that they had filled the position with another candidate. ( Which is not true, my best friend who went through the academy with me works there and said they didn't hire anybody new).

So, all that takes about 5 months. Now, it's July. I start looking at other departments. Nobody, around here, and I mean nobody, is hiring. They all have hiring freezes on. So, while I wait I take a job with a security company here to gain some relevant experience. While I am getting my licenses I receive word that another local department has opened 3 full positions. I am ecstatic! I give them a call, they e-mail me an application. I fill it out and turn it in only 3 days after they announce the openings. They then call me 2 days later to set up an interview. Two weeks later ( the 7th of August ) I have my interview. I was very well prepared for it. I was confident and quick in my answers. I didn't stumble or say "uh, uhm, um" at all. I did excellent on the written part. The recruiting officer tells me that they have about 12 other interviews to do and that he would CALL me AND send me a letter when they decide. I told him about what happened at the other department with them never calling me and ignoring me when I called them. He said he would never do that. Guess again. He said the interviews would go on till the 12th, and it would take them 2 or 3 days to decide. Well, after not hearing a thing from the recruiting officer, I get a letter saying that they decided to not pursue my application any further. I was disgusted that he didn't bother to try and call me either.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated and discouraged by all this.I had also been told about both departments, that if I wanted a job there, I had better not be processing with other agencies. I looked around last night on department's websites and 2 MIGHT have openings. I am just getting tired of having to deal with recruiting officers. Did any of you guys have this much trouble to deal with getting a job?

I see you are from Jax, perhaps you should think of relocating to central or south Florida. Depts. are hiring down south for sure.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Hopefully, you will find a good fit somewhere.

Comment

Do what I'm getting ready to do and start applying out of state. Between the hiring freezes, the amendment 1 disaster, property costs, etc, there are better options outside of Florida.

Good luck.
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Food For Thought

I hear that what you want is a job, then apply with us (FHP). I know it's probably not your best option at this time, but if you are certified and you need a job, we are always hiring as long as you pass all of the requirements. Just food for thought.

Comment

Hang in there man. Sounds like a mess.

Comment

If you are Certified and go with FHP, I believe you can remain in your hometown. If that doesn't interest you, then come further south! There are plenty of departments hiring down here.
            It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Please be advised this is my view, an opinion, everyone may have different circumstances.

Listen, I can speak for lots of applicants out there, from what I read in these forums everyone is going through the same thing. I have applied for a total of 15 police depts. Amendment 1 is hurting the agencies through out FL, and I mean "through out" The only candidate that is getting hired are those super qualified, for example; previous experience in LEO, Military background w/ honoarble discharge, college degree, and super super clean background with no glitches. Agencies can be very picky in todays economy because they now have to use their funds to pay for a police officer's salary and their equipment, since now they get very little money from tax payers, so if you ask me is all about their best interest. They know there are many applicants searching for police jobs these days because of stability & benefits.

Now if you go back 2 years ago it was a different story. As for your situation
              maybe what I have stated could apply, but then again this is my view an opinion of what I see out there. Have you noticed the increase of applicants when you get called in for your hiring process or the first stage of it? You will notice the increase of applicants that are there sched for the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for the support guys. I did some more research, and there are 2 agencies with openings, or that are about to post some. I am gonna try for those, and I just e-mailed Brevard county for an application. I have a lot of family here, and would much prefer somewhere close. I would really prefer not to do FHP, but if none of those work out, I just might have to. ( And I mean no offense to you FHP guys )

Another question though, does working security while awaiting a job look good to prospective agencies? My job is armed and I do drive a vehicle.

Comment

Armed security guard would look good or at least better than pushing paper somewhere to me if I were in charge of hiring. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Rico View Post
                    Please be advised this is my view, an opinion, everyone may have different circumstances.

Listen, I can speak for lots of applicants out there, from what I read in these forums everyone is going through the same thing. I have applied for a total of 15 police depts. Amendment 1 is hurting the agencies through out FL, and I mean "through out" The only candidate that is getting hired are those super qualified, for example; previous experience in LEO, Military background w/ honoarble discharge, college degree, and super super clean background with no glitches. Agencies can be very picky in todays economy because they now have to use their funds to pay for a police officer's salary and their equipment, since now they get very little money from tax payers, so if you ask me is all about their best interest. They know there are many applicants searching for police jobs these days because of stability & benefits.

Now if you go back 2 years ago it was a different story. As for your situation
                    maybe what I have stated could apply, but then again this is my view an opinion of what I see out there. Have you noticed the increase of applicants when you get called in for your hiring process or the first stage of it? You will notice the increase of applicants that are there sched for the same thing.
                    Come down south... YOU WILL GET HIRED... Trust me. Go with FHP if you want to stay North & transfer 2 years later.

Comment

There appears to be a growing trend in law enforcement, which only seems natural, that the requirements and standards for newly hired officers is becoming increasingly more strict and specific.

What i think people need to consider is that governmental law enforcement is one of the FEW careers in todays market, where there still exists defined retirement pensions and a strong job security. These two things alone (not including all the other great reasons to be a police officer) are enough to attract alot of very well qualified applicants to many of the good departments.

It's becoming increasingly difficult for applicants without college degrees to join good-sized departments, even those with prior military but no college work. In the academy i attended just a few years ago, everyone in the class had either a college degree or significant/wartime military experience. I've even noticed it's becoming harder for prior military to become police these days without at least SOME credits towards a bachelors degree.

That being said, many of the good paying departments with excellent benefits are becoming more and more picky as to who they hire, because they can be. Many departments look to college educated candidates because though not always the case, a majority of college educated applicants tend to have a better understanding of the importance of communication. As society progresses, like it or not, people feel that diplomacy is becoming a better way to handle situations. This is not lost in the field of law enforcement. With the increase in the use of cameras and video equipment, Officers are now held to higher standards and any and all mistakes they make are on display for the world to see. Departments across the US are becoming increasingly more aware of this and how it affects public opinion. Because of this, departments are looking to hire people who can communicate, not just break out an ASP and administer some "street justice".

You will always have those officers who love nothing more in life than to get physical with some mouthy punk who has little regard or respect for themselves, let alone an officer, but the growing trend to is hire and train officers who will use their "Verbal Judo" over their physical judo to accomplish their jobs.

This is not a jab at the thread starter by any means, as i have absolutely no information regarding his history or past, but more of an insight I have noticed over the past few years regards departments from all over.

Todays top applicants are going to have a college degree and/or significant military experience, a VERY clean background (meaning no misd charges and few traffic infractions), be a good communicator, have a solid personality, and a good understanding of how to talk to people. If you can't complete a proper sentence to save your life, have very little to no social skills, and can't communicate with someone who comes from a completely different background and/or culture than your own, you have little chance of being a successful police officer in this day.

On a final note, we hear alot that law enforcement is a "blue collar" job, and in many ways it most certainly is. But before you begin to think to yourself "Gosh why can't I get hired, it's JUST police work", consider the last time you knew of a "blue collar" type job that provided you with a company vehicle, good starting pay, structured salary increase every year (up to your max, usually 10 years or so), 20 year retirement, full benefits including life insurance (of which we pay little to none into), and the relative freedom to do what you want all day. Call it "blue collar", "purple collar", "whatever collar" work, but being a police officer and the benefits that come with, it are like nothing else in the world. With that being said, competition will only continue to increase.

Stay safe....

Comment

I will say down here we are hiring - I can rattle off about 5 depts that are right now... come more South there are jobs - or out of state - GA - SC plenty out there...
                        All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

Since you're already certified, you'll definately get hired down here.

If you're not, even WITH military experience, you'll be competing against kids with college degrees....
                          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Maynard - FHP is hiring - FL DOT is hiring LE officers - lost of stuff - Look out side the box m8
                            All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

I agree with you enisei, pretty much that is the bottom line.

I appreciate those who have said S. Florida is hiring, but check this out;

Wilton Manors PD- thank you letter for your interest, but hired someone else.
                              Light House Point PD- submitted application, thank you interest letter NOT Hiring
                              FLPD- Pass the Oral Board Interview, was put on a list

Those are the only S. FL dept I have applied to so far. As far as Central FL almost all of them in Seminole County. I even applied to New Symrna Beach PD lowest paid stating ad 14.56hr, and was advised they are now in a freeze.
                              But do not loose hope and continue trying don't give up and Good luck to all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3556 users online. 132 members and 3424 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X