300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fhp Pat

Thought it would be good for people to post their experience and questions/comments about the FHP PAT here.

Mostly because I need an excuse to post a question (and don't feel like putting in too much effort searching)

So I'll start, my buddy has his heart set on FHP and is taking the CJBAT and PAT on the 23rd. How much time does he have to complete the PAT?

ETA: Why did o.com switch the letters from capital to lowercase? Bah!
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
    How much time does he have to complete the PAT?
    http://beatrooper.com/PAT.htm

6:04 (six minutes, four seconds). Tell him to save some juice for the last 220 yard run because the dummy drag is whats most intense.

My opinon. Cheers!

It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Don't even think about sweating it. Seriously, my group had a old man mostly walk through it and he passed. Just pace yourself. We had a guy tare off during that first 220 yard run and the dummy drag punched him in the face and he almost had to walk the last 220 yards.

I paced myself on the first 220 yards, running a good, but not tiring pace. (If you are in good shape, this is going to be a joke for you. At the time I was only in pretty good shape, not great.) It had rained lightly on us, so the wall, and the grass was slippy, and more then one person busted his, or her butt. I found that the dummy wasn't as hard as I thought, but it did make my legs slightly tired. I let myself go on that last 220 yards though.

I finished with a time of 3:20, I think. It would have been sooner, but there was some trouble with the car key. Some idiot bent it. Remember to pull the key straight out!
      "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

I took the PAT for another PD that didn't have the rope tied to the dummy like FHP does. It's harder to drag when you have to pick it up off the ground by the shoulders without a rope on it because you're forced to only drag it backwards. With the rope attached you can pull it forward 1/2 the way and then turn your body around to drag it backward the other half and your legs won't get as tired.

Anyway, immediately after the dummy drag there's the short low crawl then you have to stand up and run. Well, there were about 2-3 young athletic dudes that tried to set a world record for the course...they fell right down on their face after they tried to get up and run because their legs didn't work, their legs were totally wasted. It was hilarious - they were even laughing about it because they didn't excpect it at all. They said their legs felt like rubber bands. The dummy drag (when done like that without a leash) pumps all the blood out of your leg muscles and totally exhausts them. Those guys were pulling the dummy as hard and as fast as they could though.

If you're not in that great shape don't worry!! Just make sure to take your time and carefully pace yourself until AFTER the dummy drag. I mean you'll have to force yourself to jog real slow and keep that slow tempo. It's especially difficult because of all the nervous energy along with everybody watching and waiting. But be sure to keep to a super slow jog all the way through the first 1/2 of the course or you'll burn out...you'll still finish alright but it will just be tiresome.

That's the best advice I can give other than to just relax and remember you have PLENTY OF TIME to complete it even though it won't seem like it when you're running the course. You could probably do the course at a very brisk walk and finish just in time. I'm pretty sure it's Pass or Fail and your actual course times don't much really matter anyway.

Comment

yeah, I got this kid doing a light work out before going out for the test and especially before going to the academy, considering he can only knock 15 pushups... (he's 6' and weighs 140lbs)

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Make him run...The man I talked to told me that I needed to be able to run 3 miles with minimal discomfort.

Might he could try that one hundred pushup plan.

Pushups, abs, and running.
            "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

To simulate the PAT, maybe have him jog 1/4 mile, then do some squats (or something to tax the legs) for a minute or two then immediately run another 1/4 mile all without stopping. Have him try to eventually complete it in under 5 minutes.

I think the total course comes out to just under a 1/2 mile. That's including both 220yd. runs, both 50yd sprints, 100 yd dummy drag and everything else thrown in there. So figure on running at a 10 minute mile pace (1/2 mile in 5 minutes) just to be safe and to push it a tiny bit.

Cardio is absolutely key.

Chevy- I heard the same info, you need to be able to comfortably run 3 miles at an 8 min-a-mile pace at the academy.

Comment

Oh, the boy can run. Which is his response to everything.

Justhomp:"What are you going to do when you come up to that guy that is on probation for armed robbery that's not going back to jail and your backup is 10 minutes away?"

Kid: "Hey, I'm a fast runner"

Justhomp:"You're gonna run AWAY from criminals?"

I'm more concerned about his overall strength and getting prepared for the academy. I'm a bit busy right now, but once he passes the PAT I'll get him started on some good ol' Army PT

Comment

He's not going to run away he is going to "tactically retreat"
                  Last edited by Pauliegolf10; 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3720 users online. 272 members and 3448 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X