Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I teach myself or learn before the academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I teach myself or learn before the academy?

I start my academy in January & want to learn as much as possible before. What do you guys suggest that have graduated from any law enforcement academy in the State of Florida?

So far I've learned my departments codes, alphabet, and for the most part I can handle the radio pretty well (id rate myself a 9 out of 10). I'm trying to memorize my state statues I know for ex: FS 316s are all traffic violations either non-moving, moving, or criminal violatons. I know FS 776 involves use of force. I've memorized Miranda va Arizona. I'm trying to learn some basic EMS. I've memorized the parts of guns (Semi-pistol, Shotgun, AR15). I also received a study guide of driving skills & definition used during driving skills

Ex: The forward motion that causes the vehicle to straighten from turns when the vehicle? Answer: Caster effect

I feel like I may have a hard time with LAWS & EMS. If there's any tips or any thing that you know will be in my academy please let me know. Thanks guys!

Do some ride alongs , trust me you will always be learning something new everyday

Comment

Originally posted by bhipd3406 View Post
      Do some ride alongs , trust me you will always be learning something new everyday
      Done too many... Seriously! I don't know of any one that has done more ride-alongs than me. I've heard the County doesn't like us going on ride-alongs or putting ourselves in "high risk" situations until we're actually law enforcement officers.

How do you think I learned to handle the radio

Comment

For me, I would suggest that once you start the academy, learn how to write good reports. It will save your arse. Also, another suggestion would be working on IPS skills. As big of a bad **s you think you are there is someone out there bigger and badder. Learn how to talk to people before you escalate something you didnt have to in the first place.

That badge and uniform doesnt make you, you make that badge and uni.
        That is all.

Comment

The important stuff you'll be taught. Learning your radio codes is a good idea. As far as memorizing statutes, it really depends on your instructors. We never needed to know statute numbers, we just needed to kno the elements of a small number of statutes. To be honest, the only statute numbers I know by heart are the DUI and flee and elude statutes. If you haven't already, taking a technical writing class this fall at your local college wouldn't hurt.

Comment

here is my TWO CENTS......please please please please please please dont be that guy in the academy that thinks and i stress THINKS he knows everything because you did some homework before the academy started. dont get me wrong here, im not trying to say thats how you are or bash you. im just saying we had a guy in my academy class like that and everyone hated him. even the instructor would say stuff to him. Nobody likes the jerk that thinks he knows everything about everything. it doesnt impress the instructors or other academy mates. Just stay modest and focused on the ultimate goal (your state certification). GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Push ups, pull ups, sit ups and run, run, run..........

Comment

Originally posted by SoFla5o View Post
                here is my TWO CENTS......please please please please please please dont be that guy in the academy that thinks and i stress THINKS he knows everything because you did some homework before the academy started. dont get me wrong here, im not trying to say thats how you are or bash you. im just saying we had a guy in my academy class like that and everyone hated him. even the instructor would say stuff to him. Nobody likes the jerk that thinks he knows everything about everything. it doesnt impress the instructors or other academy mates. Just stay modest and focused on the ultimate goal (your state certification). GOOD LUCK.
                Lol I think every class has some one like that. I don't want to be that guy, especially since I'll more than likely will be the youngest in my class. I want to keep a low profile & not stick out. I just want to study a bit (if i can) because I suck with studying, I've never really had any good study habits. So if I can start studying now little by little I'm sure it will help me out a lot in there.

Comment

Originally posted by WNBFLA50 View Post
                  Push ups, pull ups, sit ups and run, run, run..........
                  I'm working on long distance running. I've never been good at long distance running. I can sprint half a mile, maybe 3/4 a mile (pushing it) but when it comes to running 1.5+miles I get too tired. I want to be able to run atleast 2.0 miles by the time the academy comes around.

I can do sets of push ups with no problem (any where from 30-50 a set).

Comment

Originally posted by MDC74 View Post
                    For me, I would suggest that once you start the academy, learn how to write good reports. It will save your arse. Also, another suggestion would be working on IPS skills. As big of a bad **s you think you are there is someone out there bigger and badder. Learn how to talk to people before you escalate something you didnt have to in the first place.

That badge and uniform doesnt make you, you make that badge and uni.
                    That is all.
                    I got the same advice from family & supervisors on the department. They say one thing they hate is going over officers report and seeing basic words misspelled or no use of puncutation. Some time officers won't realize what they write on the report & when you read it out loud it sounds horrible. Another thing I want to make sure I do is good handwriting. I've seen some tickets that friends & family have gotten & you can't read some times any thing the officer wrote!

Comment

Push ups,Push Ups and more push ups..also Run,Run like you stole something..lol
                      Don't stress yourself about the academics..they will teach you that
                      remember...once you are out of the academy you will have FTO,so you still will be learning...so run,run,run,run you don't want to fail the pt part of it

Comment

On the note of run, run, run... are the runs typically in the early morning or eve?

Do they give any concessions with the heat/humidity? Sorry a little off topic..

Comment

Know your elements of the crime!!! If you do that legal is easy. Do all the pushups and running you can. On the first PT test you need to sandbag. If your in good shape and hit a plato your in truble, thats the only reason I say sanbag. I got in shape befor I started, lost 40 pounds. The problem is i hit my plato so its gettin hard to shave second off my run. The new curriculum is very flawed. Memorize everything in the book the class I am in has lost 7 to tests and we are only half way in. The instructors are giving us good info on being a cop but they are wasting class room time because inorder to score high on test you have to memorize every single word in the book. I spend classroom blocks reading and re-reading everything.

Do not learn anything from the old curriculum it will hurt you. The academy staff warned us not to do that many of the terms used have changed.
                          Last edited by fleetguy; 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM.
                          I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

PT work on your endurance. It's one of those things that you can eliminate out of stress list. That's the best thing you can do, start eliminating things that will stress you out.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetguy View Post
                              Know your elements of the crime!!! If you do that legal is easy. Do all the pushups and running you can. On the first PT test you need to sandbag. If your in good shape and hit a plato your in truble, thats the only reason I say sanbag. I got in shape befor I started, lost 40 pounds. The problem is i hit my plato so its gettin hard to shave second off my run. The new curriculum is very flawed. Memorize everything in the book the class I am in has lost 7 to tests and we are only half way in. The instructors are giving us good info on being a cop but they are wasting class room time because inorder to score high on test you have to memorize every single word in the book. I spend classroom blocks reading and re-reading everything.

Do not learn anything from the old curriculum it will hurt you. The academy staff warned us not to do that many of the terms used have changed.
                              I know several people who are currently in MPI 106 (mdpd academy). They were the last class to use the old curriculum. I heard some of the guys from MPI 107 were studying material from the old curriculum and it hurt them very bad, some even failed.

For what department are you in the academy for fleetguy?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5634 users online. 345 members and 5289 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X