300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP Night Duty

I've been driving 10PM-2AM for the past month and not once have I seen FHP running radar within Port Saint Lucie (121) and Melbourne (183)

I only see you guys when there is an accident.

Can you fill me in on what you guys usually do at night?

Calls for Service?
    City Radar?
    Off Duty Jobs?

I have no idea how FHP works. Thanks for all the information.

Curiosity.
    WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

FHP at night is extremely tight pretty much everywhere in the state. There is some time at night to be proactive, but for the most part it's crashes. I think as more and more counties go to working most of their own crashes, you may see a bit more time to be proactive.

Comment

I dont know how it goes down south, but in my area, (Taylor, Madison, Jefferson, Leon counties, ect) there is one trooper out for every 3 counties on midnights. And most of what they work is wrecks. When my department calls them to dispatch a trooper to a wreck, 9 times out of 10 he's on a wreck on another county.
      "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

1 Trooper for 3 counties what a joke.

Comment

Fhp Night Coverage

That's the way most FHP Troopers feel: "What a JOKE". The midnight shift is kind of a reactive shift because of the manpower. Something happens you respond. You could be proactive, but then if you are the only trooper out and you get a drunk or a drug arrest, then there is nobody out there.

Here is So Fl is not as bad as 1 for 3 counties, but on some nights we have 2 for 2 counties...I mean, some areas down here are still operation with the manpower of the late 70's early 80's. I'm not kidding you. Troop E (Miami and the Keys) used to have something like 250 troopers during the 80's. Now they are down to 80 or some ridiculous low number (actual # not being disclosed by the brass). And most times you have troopers out sick, on vacation, working offduty...so yes we are short.
          In the area you are referring too (PSL) it's like 1 trooper for like 100 miles...
          If FHP would have been a business, we would have been out of business long time ago....

Comment

Originally posted by BOSMIA View Post
            1 Trooper for 3 counties what a joke.
            YUP! I tell you, I'm very pro-FHP, but anyone that is applying to joing FHP is out his/her mind. We are losing people as fast as we can hire them. Maybe in 10 to 15 years this agency may be what it was back in the days (depending on what the future governors and legislators do, and if they do something positive for us). Think about it, that's a long time and that's how long it's going to take to get us back to where we were. Our problem did not happen overnight, so it's not going to ge resolved overnight. Unless every trooper gets a 20%-25% pay raise in 1 year (and we all know that's not going to happen because then DOT, FWC, DMV, AGG, FDLE and every state agency would want the same and it would cost too much-in 2003 or 2004 the state had a 5 BILLION surplus and we did not get a penny, so good luck on getting anything is these hard times).
            But again, good luck to all of you applying and I really wish you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
              FHP at night is extremely tight pretty much everywhere in the state. There is some time at night to be proactive, but for the most part it's crashes. I think as more and more counties go to working most of their own crashes, you may see a bit more time to be proactive.
              SHHHH Don't say such things.

Comment

I think they like to keep a trooper at the reststops at night, to help keep the lowlifes out. Around here the county guys are very good about getting the DUIs. I think its a good idea to post the troopers there at night.
                Last edited by fleetguy; 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM.
                I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

Originally posted by frostbiteCRA View Post
                  That's the way most FHP Troopers feel: "What a JOKE". The midnight shift is kind of a reactive shift because of the manpower. Something happens you respond. You could be proactive, but then if you are the only trooper out and you get a drunk or a drug arrest, then there is nobody out there.

Here is So Fl is not as bad as 1 for 3 counties, but on some nights we have 2 for 2 counties...I mean, some areas down here are still operation with the manpower of the late 70's early 80's. I'm not kidding you. Troop E (Miami and the Keys) used to have something like 250 troopers during the 80's. Now they are down to 80 or some ridiculous low number (actual # not being disclosed by the brass). And most times you have troopers out sick, on vacation, working offduty...so yes we are short.
                  In the area you are referring too (PSL) it's like 1 trooper for like 100 miles...
                  If FHP would have been a business, we would have been out of business long time ago....

How can anyone let this go on. So dangerous for Troopers out there on mids.

Comment

So Troopers work morning / noon shifts, and go to sleep at night.

And there are a few guys that work nights right?

I know it's taking me some time to understand this, but i'm amazed so far.

proactive = radar yes ?
                    WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

Even though there might be 1 guy out for every 3 counties, they are not exactly alone. There might not be another Trooper, but if they need backup, their dispatch can call one of the SO's or PD's in the area to get them help. They've called me on more then one occasion, and we're not slow getting to them.

If we can figure out where they are. I know that one FHP dispatch center covers a huge area, many, many counties, but their mapping system is out of date and most of the time flat wrong. They have state and county roads for everything, (which we dont, and thus have to work hard to figure out where they are talking about.)

I had a trooper out in my county that needed EMS on a stop. Their dispatch called me and, giving me the directions, had me roll EMS to somewhere south of town, when the trooper was about 15-20 miles NORTH of town.

So, if we can figure out where they are, and most of the time we can, we get them help right quick. Our agencies work very well together.
                      "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by fleetguy View Post
                        I think they like to keep a trooper at the reststops at night, to help keep the lowlifes out. Around here the county guys are very good about getting the DUIs. I think its a good idea to post the troopers there at night.
                        Reststops and service plazas are HIREBACK (troopers working there are getting paid overtime)...I'm not sure where you are at, but down south we have DUI squads and they are also good about getting DUIs...

Comment

Mids? Proactive? Ha!!!!

If you have a zone partner....IF....you'll be together or at least in the same vicinity. There's a lot more I'd like to say, but for officer safety reasons, I'll just let it be.

We're out and about, but if it's not something blatantly reckless/dangerous, then I usually let it pass.

Example, after midnight I don't waste my time for anything less than 30 mph over the limit.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyPower View Post
                            Even though there might be 1 guy out for every 3 counties, they are not exactly alone. There might not be another Trooper, but if they need backup, their dispatch can call one of the SO's or PD's in the area to get them help. They've called me on more then one occasion, and we're not slow getting to them.

If we can figure out where they are. I know that one FHP dispatch center covers a huge area, many, many counties, but their mapping system is out of date and most of the time flat wrong. They have state and county roads for everything, (which we dont, and thus have to work hard to figure out where they are talking about.)

I had a trooper out in my county that needed EMS on a stop. Their dispatch called me and, giving me the directions, had me roll EMS to somewhere south of town, when the trooper was about 15-20 miles NORTH of town.

So, if we can figure out where they are, and most of the time we can, we get them help right quick. Our agencies work very well together.
                            That's not safe at all.

Also, it takes time for their dispatch to contact your dispatch. If the Trooper is fighting for his life every second counts.

Scary!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG View Post
                              Mids? Proactive? Ha!!!!

If you have a zone partner....IF....you'll be together or at least in the same vicinity. There's a lot more I'd like to say, but for officer safety reasons, I'll just let it be.

We're out and about, but if it's not something blatantly reckless/dangerous, then I usually let it pass.

Example, after midnight I don't waste my time for anything less than 30 mph over the limit.
                              unreal man. I can't believe the State allows this to go on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4646 users online. 269 members and 4377 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X