300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling?

Need help understanding how dept sched is done. How many day's a week you work, hours per week, and do you alternate coverage on weekends? I am close to getting in to FMPD, and I am curious as to the sched process and how it works. I can work anytime anywhere.
    Thank you for any help.

I may have worded this thread incorrectly, let's try this. Shift times, 5p -3a?7a-5p, ect... 4 on 3 off? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's so much your wording as it is vagueness. If you're asking about typical schedules for PD's in general, then I can provide the following information below. If you're looking for FMPD specifically, then you'll need to change your Title to reflect that and get responses directly from officers there.

From the title of your post, it seems like you just want to know what are common scheduling practices. It's not easy to say because each dept has their own schedules and they honestly change over the years, but in general here are some:

5 on, 4 off: 10.25 hours
      4 on, 4 off: 12 hours
      4 on, 4 off then 3 on, 3 off (rotate): 12 hours
      3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off: believe it is called the DuPont style
      There are also others i am unfamiliar with
      These schedules usually provide a good amount of time off during the week and often times will provide 2 weekends off in every month.

As for specific hours, that is truly dependent upon the department and what type of scheduling they do. I know depts that have 3 shifts in the morning and then 3 in the evening, i know some that have 4 shifts, it's really department specific.

As for hours, you're probably looking to work sometime in the 10-12 hour/day range. I've never seen a Dept with less than that and to be honest, with the amount of time it takes to get suited up, be at the station 5-10 minutes before lineup, and with the type of work we do (get paid for lunch, spend hours at a time on 1 call, etc) it would not be very effective to only work 8 hours a day.

The scheduling in local law enforcement is unlike most jobs but it allows alot of time for vacationing and have 3-4 days off in a row is really one of the best parts of the job imo.

Hope i answered some questions. If not, try to be a bit more specific in what you're looking for.
      Last edited by enisei; 08-09-2008, 10:20 PM. Reason: Left something out

Comment

Thank You

I appreciate the feedback, very helpful, it was what I was looking for. Like I said, I can work any shift any time, just curious as to sched situations. Do newbies go directly to midnight shift or a shift similar to midnight? Also, if you have to report to the station each shift, do you dress there?

Comment

I appreciate the feedback, very helpful, it was what I was looking for. Like I said, I can work any shift any time, just curious as to sched situations. Do newbies go directly to midnight shift or a shift similar to midnight? Also, if you have to report to the station each shift, do you dress there?

Well to do this job you HAVE to be able to work anytime. Any potential police officer that says "I can't work weekends, or holidays, or _________" is choosing the wrong profession. You will start out in patrol and whether or not you get a certain holiday or a certain weekend will depend on a) if your schedule happens to fall on that day or not b) if you ask for that day using time off.

As for starting on the night shift, it also depends on the department. Most large departments will place rookies in areas and on squads that are short, regardless of whether that is 1st shift or 3rd, in a good area, or bad. Smaller departments will likely have the new guys starting on the "unpopular" shift, though even then it's not always the case. You cant have a squad of 4-8 rookies, thats a steep learning curve and the potential for big mistakes, especially seeing as much of the crime occurs at night.

Most departments will have you report to a station (once again size will determine if there are more than 1 station, and where you report to), before every shift. The only local law enforcement agencies I have known that dont report to a "line-up" at a station everyday, is the Highway patrol. From what i understand (at least here in NC) they can check available from their house....and then subsequently go shower, eat, get dressed, watch some tv, and 2 hours later go stop a car, but hey, noone joins the troopers for the pay!!

Where you get placed, what shifts you work, what your shifts are like, where you report everyday, these are all going to be pretty specific to each department, so it's best that you get up with anyone from the dept you are looking to join, and simply ask them.

Comment

FMPD patrol shift schedule. at when I was there this is what it was......

Bravo- 7a-5p

Charlie-11a-9p

Delta-5p-3a

Alpha-9p-7a

You work Tues-Fri or Fri-Mon. Everyone works Fridays(considered a training day).

When I was there they tried to give you a different shift for each of the stages(3) of the FTO process. After this, they stick you where they need a body. Any other questions shoot me an email.

Good Luck,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4288 users online. 250 members and 4038 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X