300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut State Police

I'm from New York and I've heard some very good things about the Connecticut State Police. I'm planning on taking the next exam in Feb, 2009.
    I saw this video in another thread about the 117th Trooper Graduation and now I'm even more interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5liO4zFVuI

Any current or former troopers on here please give some details or pros/cons about the selection process, academy, or agency in general. Do they test for every academy class, or do they form an eligible list and process multiple classes from that list?

I'm not a trooper, but based off what I have observed I can provide you with a few details. The selection process can take a year or more to complete in most cases. The academy is VERY militaristic. Lots and lots of marching, PT, screaming, and yelling take place on a daily basis. So be prepared for that. The starting pay is lower than what most municipal departments in the state start new officers at, but you get a decent raise upon graduation from the academy.

Comment

i was at post (for municipal) when they were putting a trooper class through- they get their balls broken daily- its very similar to a 27 week boot camp-tossing beds screaming etc- they go home on weekends too, but usually much later than us and they have to park their cars all facing the same way-after that though youre still a cop just like everyone else- granted they have more units/money as a whole, but i dont see why anyone would want to do that when its the same damn job as a city guy -i could see going there to get into major crimes or any other units they have though- when i worked for the city we worked alot with the troop and some were cool others not, but youre all on the same team, doing very much the same job- thier training no doubt is more difficult than the minicipal side though- good luck with it what ever you choose

Comment

Their academy is a joke. They try to make it like a boot camp, but its really nothing at like any services boot camp.

Their pay is pretty sub par compared to the rest of CT, and its horrible when you look at NY police agency's. The overtime for them is really hit or miss as well. They are basically armed traffic enforcement. They do U-turns on the highway and do accident reports all day. Do yourself a favor and apply to a bigger department in CT if you really want to work here. New Haven, Norwalk, Stamford are all good places to look.

Comment

Irishhammer, why would you say that? You know someone on the job?

Comment

Yep, I see them all the time, plus a few of them have left to join our department. For some people its great, not for me though. Not after being a city cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishhammer View Post
              Their academy is a joke..
              So you have experienced their academy?

Comment

I was there every day when they were. I got to see everything they did and "went through". It was a total joke. The fact that people quit some people actually dropped out of it was hilarious.

Comment

Last edited by Ad422; 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ad422 View Post
                    How often does CSP hire and how many recruits do they normally accept?
                    Well, since about 2000 when I started keeping track, the CSP has a test about every 12 to 16 months. They generally take about 60 recruits and about 10-20 alternates to each academy. They usually graduate about 50 recruits. The CSP website claims that they will have a test for Class 122 sometime in the first quarter of 2009.
                    Last edited by Gixxxxer750; 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
                    GOD made cops because firemen need heros too..

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                      What exactly is an alternate?

Do they become Troopers also?
                      Alternate is kind of weird situation, you are required to attend the academy from the beginning in hope that one of the regular recruits drops out or gets booted and you take their spot. After a certain point you are let go if they don't need you. I don't have the specifics but that the gist of it.
                      Last edited by Gixxxxer750; 10-05-2008, 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

almost like rhode island state police, where even if you go through the academy, your not entitled to the job and they place you on reserve, in which case they won't use you until a slot opens. Which could be anywhere from a few months to years.

Comment

Last edited by Ad422; 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ad422 View Post
                            Are you at least advised before the academy starts that you're a alternate?
                            Yes, they will let you know what your status is before the start of the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralMelchid View Post
                              almost like rhode island state police, where even if you go through the academy, your not entitled to the job and they place you on reserve, in which case they won't use you until a slot opens. Which could be anywhere from a few months to years.
                              At least RI let the alternates go through the whole academy and finish. CSP will let you go after a certain time. So if your one of the lower score ranked alternates and not many people drop out or fail, you will be sent home. Not sure what the cut off is...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4650 users online. 272 members and 4378 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X