300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Are there any L.E.O's from Ct. that could answer a couple of questions I have? I am currently an Officer in Florida and have been thinking about moving the family back up to Ct. I have heard good and bad about the way L.E. works up there. Ive heard that its quite liberal up there. But the pay is much, much better. If anyone has any advise, or suggestions please let me know.
    Chris

Well.. First question is, which part of CT? That right there makes a huge difference in what you can afford as opposed to what you get paid?

Right now Fairfield county Norwalk and Stamford are probably the two best paying departments in the state (when you factor in overtime), but the base isn't as great as you might think. Right now top pay in Norwalk is $64,000, which when you consider the price of a decent house in that area is just below $500,000, it just isn't that much money.

its also VERY liberal up here. That drives pretty much everything you do, from patrol to specialized units, liability is driven down your throat to the point of excess. That ends up driving cops to focus more on the OT they can earn from ditch jobs and how they can scam the city they work in out of more time/money then the most important factor which is being a cop. It can be very disheartening to hear a person you are riding with say that they don't want to jump out on some dudes who you know are in a gang or are dealing because they are afraid that their may be a fight, which may inhibit the amount of OT they can earn.

CT also has a lot of really ****ty towns/cities where they try to hide the crime, but its really a festering hole that never heals. Bridgeport, Stamford, Norwalk, New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury, Etc are terrible towns, but you would never think it because everyone just assumes CT is well, CT. Lilly white and rich.

If I were you, I would talk to some current LEO's up here and try to get a better feel for the specific area you are considering coming back too. I am currently a cop in Norwalk, and I personally am considering coming down to the Tampa Bay area myself for a number of reasons.

Comment

That is what I heard. I will be up there in Oct. to go on a ride along in Meriden, and hopefully other places.
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Irishhammer View Post
        Well.. First question is, which part of CT? That right there makes a huge difference in what you can afford as opposed to what you get paid?

Right now Fairfield county Norwalk and Stamford are probably the two best paying departments in the state (when you factor in overtime), but the base isn't as great as you might think. Right now top pay in Norwalk is $64,000, which when you consider the price of a decent house in that area is just below $500,000, it just isn't that much money.

its also VERY liberal up here. That drives pretty much everything you do, from patrol to specialized units, liability is driven down your throat to the point of excess. That ends up driving cops to focus more on the OT they can earn from ditch jobs and how they can scam the city they work in out of more time/money then the most important factor which is being a cop. It can be very disheartening to hear a person you are riding with say that they don't want to jump out on some dudes who you know are in a gang or are dealing because they are afraid that their may be a fight, which may inhibit the amount of OT they can earn.

CT also has a lot of really ****ty towns/cities where they try to hide the crime, but its really a festering hole that never heals. Bridgeport, Stamford, Norwalk, New Haven, Hartford, Waterbury, Etc are terrible towns, but you would never think it because everyone just assumes CT is well, CT. Lilly white and rich.

If I were you, I would talk to some current LEO's up here and try to get a better feel for the specific area you are considering coming back too. I am currently a cop in Norwalk, and I personally am considering coming down to the Tampa Bay area myself for a number of reasons.
        Why do you think Norwalk sucks so bad? I live here and I am currently trying to get on the force. I would love to hear from someone on the inside and their point of view. I actually have a oral board interview. Please post on why you think it sucks?

Comment

Its not that Norwalk sucks, its just the mentality toward policing in general in this area is horrible. That coupled with the fact that overtime is more important to most then actual police work, it can be a bit of a downer. This is just me speaking. There are days I love what I do, but I am also working in a area right now that I have wanted to be part of for some time now. If you live here its not the same as this other guy wanting to come up here with his family. You may fit right in, I don't know.

As for Meriden, that town isn't my cup of tea. The pay isn't that great and the area is really run down, it also looks really boring. Have you considered a deaprtment like Stamford or something?

Comment

Im considering all departments. My family lives in Branford and I would like to relocate near there. So departments around that area would be the best.
            Chris

Comment

I'm currently in the process for 3 depts in the capital region of CT.

Check: http://www.policeapp.com. That lists a lot of the departments in CT and that's the site I relied on for most of my info. You can usually apply online with that site.
              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
              -Chris Rock

Comment

Theres a few sites here in CT that you should keep your eyes on for PD opening positions.

As mention above policecertification.com is great but they don't always show everyone thats hiring.
                Also check these out,
                conncops.com
                www.ct.gov/post/
                www.sccjact.com
                Last edited by Gixxxxer750; 08-17-2008, 08:14 AM. Reason: repair links
                GOD made cops because firemen need heros too..

Comment

Also periodically check this site out, http://www.das.state.ct.us/exam/ . Scroll almost all the way down to the bottom and you will find the link(s) that will allow you to sign up for the written exams for the CT State Police and some other state law enforcement agencies. According to the website, they will be testing in early 2009.

Comment

We're hiring right now!

http://www.wcsu.edu/hr/employment/Po...ficers0708.asp

Not a bad gig if you can handle the "quiet".

Our health benfits are probably the best you can get from a CT police agency ('cause we're state employees and the state has the money to spend on that stuff).

20 year retirement- pension based on 50% of best three years averaged. All pay, including OT, counts towards a retirement year.

Current pay for POs is step 1 - $22.79 ($49,989) to step 11 - $27.41 ($65,496). The current contact has a 3% wage increase each year. You go up a step each year also... unless you've been a bad boy.

No mileage limitation on where you live, so you can get out of the high priced areas if you don't mind a commute.

And we're going to "lose" three Sgts and the LT who will be retiring soon so there is some upward mobility expected in the next year or two. Since the senior officer currently on only has 3 years, it's a wide open field. The promotional process is pretty easy and anyone with more than 3 years experience as a PO regardless of where they worked is eligible to test for it.

Currently lots of OT. I should break $100k this year without much trouble.
                    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Working for the State schools is a pretty nice gig. Good guys, lot of cops from other departments. Good benefits, pay, schedule, but from what I have heard its pretty tame, which isn't a bad thing sometimes. Definitely worth looking into.

Comment

You will find the same s**t different uniform where ever you decide to go in CT. Some departments are certainly better than others. New Haven is hiring - you will be busy, but they have a good retirement, their new Chief is very proactive and they have plenty of specialized units. Branford, Guilford, etc... will be quiet. Hamden pays well and is fairly busy. It all depends o what size department you are looking for and how busy you want to be. I would also check to see if the department you are looking at has a lateral program that accepts FL cert before you find out you have to go to another academy.

Comment

Here's another thought - Yale PD. They pay well and are in the middle of New Haven. They are busy, but generally New Haven PD handles most serious calls.

Comment

GangGreen712, You don't have PM but I was wondering how the 6 town test is going? Did you hear back from any of those departments? I was told by one of those towns that they will hold the test again by november or december.
                            I know a few people who took it and only heard back from a town or 2 out of the 6.
                            GOD made cops because firemen need heros too..

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxxxer750 View Post
                              GangGreen712, You don't have PM but I was wondering how the 6 town test is going? Did you hear back from any of those departments? I was told by one of those towns that they will hold the test again by november or december.
                              I know a few people who took it and only heard back from a town or 2 out of the 6.
                              I didn't hear from any of them unfortunately. I passed the test but I didn't rank high enough.

I'm getting my CHIP card updated again on the 18th, so I'm going to put in about 8 different applications around the state.
                              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                              -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3257 users online. 147 members and 3110 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X