300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Records Department

Wanted a quick poll of how different departments in the area have their record departments set up. My department is laying off our two records clerks due to budget reasons, however have no plan yet on who will actually do it(the work generated from layoffs). Scuttlebutt around the department says our mids might take it over because the call volume is minimum in our town on that shift. However people are starting to talk about how it's not in our job description and not in our contract. Regardless of this, how do other towns run the records division? Smaller town reply's would be helpful, maybe I can suggest something worthwhile to my superiors. Thanks for the info ahead of time, please keep negative comments to a minimum, I just need suggestions.

What's up bro? We have three records clerks on days, 7-4, but they open at 8, they do stuff for court the first hour.....I think only Tuesday-Friday is when the public can access them though and Wednesday is a half day or something like that...I'm in a small town too in CT (PM me for more info if you want)....We don't have any sworn personnel in Records, its all civilian....If you are in Easton, I have to say you guys are awesome, I come through there every night on my way home and have never been bothered!! Let me know if you have any more questions

Originally posted by skatonic View Post
    Wanted a quick poll of how different departments in the area have their record departments set up. My department is laying off our two records clerks due to budget reasons, however have no plan yet on who will actually do it(the work generated from layoffs). Scuttlebutt around the department says our mids might take it over because the call volume is minimum in our town on that shift. However people are starting to talk about how it's not in our job description and not in our contract. Regardless of this, how do other towns run the records division? Smaller town reply's would be helpful, maybe I can suggest something worthwhile to my superiors. Thanks for the info ahead of time, please keep negative comments to a minimum, I just need suggestions.

Comment

I'm feeling that my town is far smaller than yours, and this may not be the help you're looking for. Our department secretary (thats right, just one) handles all our records requests, filing, sending files to and from court, scheduling OT details, payroll, pistol permit applications, department correspondence, and answering phones during the day, along with the usual day to day secretary stuff. She really deserves more than she gets paid. We try not to give her extra work by faxing and mailing our own stuff (subpoena returns, S/O registrations etc) and we enter all our own citations etc in the computer. One avenue you might look into is some sort of secretarial intern that would be willing to work for free (or cheap) to gain experience in that field. That person would however need someone to oversee/train them.

Comment

I think we may not have as much work as that, but our secretary can certainly not do all the work. She works hard as it is, putting all that on her would certainly yield a "early retirement" for her! Our best bet is to hire someone a couple hours a week. The only problem is runs that need to go to court that morning...i.e. domestics. The town wants us to cut the budget to the bone, but its frustrating when it's cut so much it's difficult to run. But at least layoffs were avoided this year for the sworn personel.
        Last edited by skatonic; 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

When I worked in a small town, the chief or assistant chief took care of records. Why can't you run your own paperwork to court?

Comment

...it's not in our job description...
            What!? No "other duties as assigned" clause?

Seriously, you'll need a better plan than "let mids do it." Unless you had excess capacity to begin with you'll have to increase the productivity of the remaining clerks or reduce their workload. That means taking a ruthless look at procedures and services.

Comment

We do run our stuff to court, but there is much more to records than simply our arrests. And , seventy2002, there will be no more clerks. The department is getting dissolved.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4667 users online. 282 members and 4385 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X