300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darien PD

does anyone have any info on this dept.. is it very political to get a job or are the hiring practices fair? any info would be awesome thanks!

Same politics as any other department in Fairfield County. Not much in the way of overtime and very Politically correct. Almost no action and they expect tons of Selective Enforcement. (DUI's, speeding, parking tickets, etc.) So much chance to be proactive. I would look to Stamford or Norwalk if you're looking for a place with some action and overtime.

Comment

To tell you the truth, I think things work out for a reason and I personally could not be any happier where I'm at now.

That being said, I tested for a few different departments "back east" before getting hired out here in Las Vegas. Darien was one of the departments I tested for. Darien was one of the only departments back east that I actually had positive things to say about when testing. I made it through towards the end of the hiring process and thought I did fairly well. I just didn't get selected and obviously didn't do well enough

Anyway, I had a lot of respect from start to finish on my brief experience with the department. I didn't think it seemed too political (again very very brief experience) and I respected the way all the Officers handled themselves and appeared. I would definitely reccomend trying to speak to an Officer that currently works for that department though as they would clearly know a lot more.

Bottom line, I had nothing negative to say about Darien and comparing Darien to about six or seven other departments, I would say my personal opinion would rank them in the top three to work for, easily, possibly the second preferred (although I'm a bit partial now haha )

Good luck to you, its definitely a great area and nice little town, although now being where I'm at, I wondered if it would be "too quiet"... And hopefully they do alright salary wise because its extremely expensive to live in that area.
      The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

thanks for the responses.. im just worried if maybe someones son or daughter is next in line to become a cop and they just have this testing period sort of as a cover.. but from what ive been hearing they just take the best candidate so hopefully ill score high enough

Comment

Originally posted by joeypalz283 View Post
          thanks for the responses.. im just worried if maybe someones son or daughter is next in line to become a cop and they just have this testing period sort of as a cover.. but from what ive been hearing they just take the best candidate so hopefully ill score high enough
          I don't know, personally through experience, I think you might be more correct than you'd rather be about certain departments on the east coast in general. I know of quite a few who either outright did a transfer or began testing and hired on with west coast departments, not just where I'm at, but surrounding states as well. I think its less civil service non-sense and basic testing, scoring, backgrounds, etc. I know people who tested back east and take X amount of time (months and months) just to hear back written exam results, while here, a large amount of departments would have someone's background testing completed and in under 1 year, they'd already be in an Academy...
          The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Not really sure where your getting your info, but no department here takes over 6 months unless there is a hiring freeze or your bottom of the wait list.

As for the living expense, its really the same here as on the West coast, but its a pretty easy remedy. All you need to do is go North about 20 minutes to Trumbull and beyond and housing becomes very reasonable.

If your looking to avoid a slower town though, this isn't the place to look. They don't average a lot of CFS in Darien, and its pretty small, mostly residental. If you want something a little more fast paced in this area, look to Bridgeport, Stamford or Norwalk. I would also talk to cops that actually work here, and live here. Not just tested here. Testing here doesn't give you any real indication of what takes place in your town or county. Just my two cents.

Comment

Irish, if that post is directed towards me, allow me to respond briefly so we don't end up going off topic, or you can PM me if you'd like. The info I'm responding with is personal info that I've learned through testing processes with several departments, 3 of which in CT, as well as a two ride-a-longs with 2 of the departments, and speaking with several CT Officers (1 CT State, 1 who worked in Darien, and 1 who worked in Hartford). I agree with you that there are definitely places to live that become more affordable in CT, however, how far do you want to go (distance from work versus nice area etc, these are all things you'd have to consider that I'd admit I don't have much info about). As for the living expenses, I lived on the east coast, NY, CT, and RI and there is NO WAY that the cost of living is the same, case closed. There are very expensive areas on west coast too, and those might be similar to the east coast, but comparing Las Vegas to just about anywhere in NY, CT, and RI, there really is no comparison. Mainly taxes and housing costs in particular.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I have plenty of respect for Darien in particular and several other departments on the east coast. I just think it worked out better for me coming over here. We have a lot of Officers transfer from FL and the Northeast in general for most of the reasons I've mentioned above.

Lastly, as for the testing, the written exam alone (for just about all of the tests that I took), came with a minimum of 3 months just to find out the score. From there, you still have the rest of the background process. For CT, I would say Darien and New Canaan were the quickest. I was really turned off from Norwalk, so all I can speak on is the written exam for them, which I took because I was there and then withdrew myself from the rest of their process.

To the original poster Joey, good luck to you, and do what I did if you can and try and speak to Officers from the areas that your looking at, try and do a ride-a-long if you can, drive through the areas and try and see what they are about, etc.

Comment

Not really sure how you can make a judgement based on the written test, but whatever floats ya boat.

As for the testing process, all tests that I took, including the State took less then 8 months from start to finish and Norwalk was the first to offer a Hire followed shortly after by Stamford and then NYPD. The other's I just withdrew from after starting in Norwalk. I can't really understand how you can be turned off after taking only a generic test.

As for the housing you can live 15 minutes North of any town in Fairfield and find great houses for affordable prices. The only place that is terrible on taxes is Bridgeport, and thats because the city is one of the worst in the nation and is falling in on itself.

Ride alongs and tests don't give any kind of a perspective into what a department is really like. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishhammer View Post
                  Not really sure how you can make a judgement based on the written test, but whatever floats ya boat.

As for the testing process, all tests that I took, including the State took less then 8 months from start to finish and Norwalk was the first to offer a Hire followed shortly after by Stamford and then NYPD. The other's I just withdrew from after starting in Norwalk. I can't really understand how you can be turned off after taking only a generic test.

As for the housing you can live 15 minutes North of any town in Fairfield and find great houses for affordable prices. The only place that is terrible on taxes is Bridgeport, and thats because the city is one of the worst in the nation and is falling in on itself.

Ride alongs and tests don't give any kind of a perspective into what a department is really like. Sorry.
                  I will send you a PM reference Norwalk since you not only work for them now but mainly because this is a public forum.

On the contrary, I think ride-a-longs give a great perspective and opportunity for those interested to see "the streets" so to speak, meet Officers, and learn more than you could ever learn or be told from a book, college, or rumors, etc. Granted certain ride-a-longs are different based on the actual person and the Officer. However, I've had a few now and I always let their demeanor decide how much they'll learn. If their a pain or become a liability based on actions, I'll drop them off early. If their demeanor and behavior appears to be correct (ex: they are not doing stupid things), I'll keep them the entire shift or as long as they want to stay, and point out certain things that they might find helpful or interesting, and answer as many questions as I can, etc. I learned a lot during ride-a-longs and try to give that to people who ride-a-long with me.

As for testing, not sure when you tested, I'm only talking about 3-4 years ago, and none were complete (start to finish) in 8 months or less. Who knows though. Different candidates, applicants, background investigators, openings, etc. Could be a ton of different reasons.

Comment

From the sounds of it, you scored in the lower half of the testing cycle and were probably wait listed if anything at all.

Comment

From the sounds of it, you scored in the lower half of the testing cycle and were probably wait listed if anything at all.
                      Negative, took the written exam that day and made my decision before I even began the exam.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what I scored on the written exam, but I know I was sent two separate letters about taking the physical fitness exam, even after sending paperwork saying that I would like to withdraw from the process.

Thanks though.

Comment

im trying to contact them to maybe get a ride-a-long and find out what the test maker is for this test so i can be better prepared.. me and a few buddys are testing for darien and we are all from NJ and we know how the process works here in NJ and just hoping its not the same in CT lol .. anyway i appreciate all the responses again ill try to keep this thread alive with further questions, this is very helpfull beucase i couldnt find any info or anyone who has info on this dept any where.

Comment

I tested with Norwalk PD about two years ago. I took the written and agility test within weeks of each other, and I didn't get scheduled for an oral board for a solid 5 months after that. About 6 months after the oral board, the sent me to the next phase of the process which included the polygraph, psychological, medical, and background. That phase took 3 months to complete and they didn't select me for hire. But all of the officers I interacted with there were very professional. I almost applied there again but decided against it just because I don't live any where near Norwalk, and because was well on my way to being hired by a smaller dept, which did in fact hire me.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey712 View Post
                            I tested with Norwalk PD about two years ago. I took the written and agility test within weeks of each other, and I didn't get scheduled for an oral board for a solid 5 months after that. About 6 months after the oral board, the sent me to the next phase of the process which included the polygraph, psychological, medical, and background. That phase took 3 months to complete and they didn't select me for hire. But all of the officers I interacted with there were very professional. I almost applied there again but decided against it just because I don't live any where near Norwalk, and because was well on my way to being hired by a smaller dept, which did in fact hire me.
                            Thats most likely based on how you did on the written test in relation to the rest of the test takers. They block it off into separate blocks that have time frames of when things are scheduled. Top half usually starts their orals about 30 to 45 days after the written with the second half not starting until after the hiring people make up their mind about the first half. Then after that they will start the process for the second half. The written test is a joke though, so don't take that personally if you do get in the second half. Who knows, maybe you will be considered such a stellar canidate that they will keep sending you letters even though you withdrawn, which never happens.

Comment

Thats most likely based on how you did on the written test in relation to the rest of the test takers. They block it off into separate blocks that have time frames of when things are scheduled. Top half usually starts their orals about 30 to 45 days after the written with the second half not starting until after the hiring people make up their mind about the first half. Then after that they will start the process for the second half. The written test is a joke though, so don't take that personally if you do get in the second half. Who knows, maybe you will be considered such a stellar canidate that they will keep sending you letters even though you withdrawn, which never happens.
                              Norwalk PD sent me a letter stating that I didn't meet their background standards or some thing like that a few months ago and therefore I was no longer under consideration. Oh well.
                              I got hired by a smaller dept here in CT and I start the academy next week. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4508 users online. 277 members and 4231 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X