Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garfield CO, Glewood SP, Rifle agencies

HI
    I was wondering if anyone has any scoop on these agencies most posts seem to be on the Denver side of the Rockies. Im thinking of relocating from Mn and want a area that has lots of snowmobiling, hunting ect.
    any info on cost of living, moral, workload or just anything would be great

Hey bto35, send me a pm and Ill be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Originally posted by bto35 View Post
      HI
      I was wondering if anyone has any scoop on these agencies most posts seem to be on the Denver side of the Rockies. Im thinking of relocating from Mn and want a area that has lots of snowmobiling, hunting ect.
      any info on cost of living, moral, workload or just anything would be great
      I started out in a small agency near there on the western slope for the same reasons (off duty recreation). When asked about my time there, I can only honestly say "It was ok." In alot of cases (not all) the pay is low, cost of living can be high in the nicer mountain towns, and there are not as many opportunities if you want to try something other than patrol a few years down the road.

The off-duty time was awesome though. It's nice to have snowmobiling and world class elk hunting 5 minutes from your driveway. Like you I am an outdoorsy guy, and I could not get the best part of elk season off because the Officers with seniority are there for that reason too. They deserve it, seniority has its privlges.

Denver and Colo Spgs are both a reasonable drive away from the mountain activities you enjoy. CSPD and EPSO both pay well, and have great reputations.

The Denver metro area has like...25 or so agencies, most offering the usual pay rate starting somewhere in the mid 40's, and topping out in the 60's after about 5 years (varies from agency to agency). Obviously if you choose to promote, you can have a very healthy salary.

If you're interested, look at a map of the Denver area...alot of the municipalities and Sheriff's Offices have great reputations. There's no shortage of jobs for those who are qualified.

The Fort Collins area is pretty cool too. Good professional opportunities, competitive pay, and great outdoorsy things to do are really close as well in the puder canyon.

If your heart is set on the western slope, Grand Junction PD and Mesa County SO are the big boys out there. Some of us think Durango is a pretty cool town also.

Morale varies from Department to Department. The best way to really find out is to speak with an Officer who works there, or do a ride along. You can get a feel for the place by watching how the Officers/Deputies work and interact with everybody.

You're in outdoors heaven in Montana, can I ask why Colorado?

Comment

I think he's from Minnesota not Montana.
        Only the dead have seen the end of the war.-Plato

God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.

Comment

yup, from Minnesota LE jobs are very competitive here and ive never lived out of state so I thought CO would be a good option.
          It seems the best money is on the eastern slope. I was thinking Fort Collins or Greely agencies. I would just like to have some good fall and winter rec stuff not too far away. Perhaps i'd be better off moving out there and get a job in a jail or as a EMT or wildland firefighter until i get famaliar with the areas and then decide???
          Last edited by bto35; 08-08-2008, 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by IrishLacrosse View Post
            I think he's from Minnesota not Montana.
            Attention to detail...

Comment

Hey, not sure if you're still around, but I just got out of police academy in this area and so have heard a bit about the surrounding agencies.

The cost of living here is pretty crazy. Be prepared to spend A LOT more than where you're living now. Housing, gasoline, groceries...everything.

As for the agencies:
              Garfield County SO is really looking for a lot of people. Mostly because what they pay is not that great compared to some of the others in this area. At last count, they had 9 patrol slots available and 22 detentions. This may have changed a little bit because they have been aggressively recruiting. I know a few of the detentions officers and really like them - good people. Only know a couple of the patrol officers and they seem like good guys - but I don't know that side as well as the detentions side. The Sheriff is currently working with the county commissioners to get the pay increased.

Glenwood PD is also hiring quite a bit. The pay is higher than GCSO. I don't know any of the officers there.

Eagle County SO is hiring. Their starting pay is the highest in the area from what I've seen - $24.71/hour. I've heard their hiring standards are pretty strict.

Mesa County SO is hiring quite a bit, as well. The cost of living in Mesa County is quite a bit better than Garfield County. From what I've heard, the starting pay is actually higher there than GCSO, if that makes any sense at all. But with a town close to the border of Utah and on a major interstate like I-70, you can imagine there is quite a bit of gang/drug activity.

All I really know about Rifle is that it is growing like crazy because of the oil fields. Domestics are pretty rampant. A lot of the problems they run into are from people that aren't even from the area - they're here for oilfield jobs. GCSO expects the size of Rifle to outpace the town of Glenwood Springs in due time at the rate it's going compared to GS.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions otherwise, I could probably track them down.

Comment

Originally posted by CO_LE_Angel View Post
                But with a town close to the border of Utah and on a major interstate like I-70, you can imagine there is quite a bit of gang/drug activity.
                You can imagine it, but it doesn't make it true. Compared to any metro or even suburb, it's practically nil, especially the "gang" part.

Comment

hi i was thinking of applying to the garfield county SO but I was wondering where people lived there because it is really expensive to live there in glenwood springs.

Comment

When I lived in Carbondale, I knew a lot of people who commuted in from as far down I-70 as Rifle. You can also head out Highway 133 towards Redstone and Marble, although that direction is still fairly expensive.

Comment

a lot of deputies live in Parachute. but, Parachute sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiland View Post
                        You can imagine it, but it doesn't make it true. Compared to any metro or even suburb, it's practically nil, especially the "gang" part.
                        Hmmm. I've been told by several people that they left G.J. because of the gang problems within the schools. Have also had stories related to me by deputies of Mesa County S.O. Hmm. Okay.

Comment

Originally posted by CO_LE_Angel View Post
                          Hmmm. I've been told by several people that they left G.J. because of the gang problems within the schools. Have also had stories related to me by deputies of Mesa County S.O. Hmm. Okay.
                          Please note that I said, "Compared to any kind of metro or even suburb..." The statement is a relative one.

But quite honestly, people leaving due to a gang problem in this area...that's actually kind of funny and shocking. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be condescending (probably succeeding though), but heaven help those folks if they ever move anywhere larger and put their kids in public school. And the little wanna-bes around here would **** bricks if they found themselves in real gang territory.

I think it's really all a matter of perspective. Choose a call...if you talk to a seasoned officer from a large metro department who's lateraled to the area, then to someone who's grown up here and worked only here, it's going to sound like those officers were on two completely different calls. I'm not saying either of them is right or wrong...it's simply a matter of perspective. What's "routine" there may rarely or never happen here, so the frame of reference is completely different...it's a big deal when/if it does happen here...ie, so much of what goes on here is no big deal compared to what's typical of larger areas.

Same with the "meth problem" I keep hearing about, particularly from people who've lived most of their lives here, or someplace smaller. All I can think is, holy cow, those people have no idea what a meth problem is. Again, a matter of perspective.
                          Last edited by Reiland; 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6910 users online. 367 members and 6543 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X