300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get in to Jefferson County and could use some advice

I have applied for Jefferson County's Deputy Sheriff Trainee and I could use some advice. But first a bit of background on me:

I did not always make the best decisions in life. In high school I had a problem controlling my temper as well as I tried a few drugs and I regret ever trying them and I have not used them since. I also found my self with the wrong crowed once and got arrested for petty theft when I was 18. Since then I have been out of trouble and received a BA in Interactive Media Design.

I now have a wife and a son that is 3 years old and my industry is not the best place to be in during this economy. There for I have decided to go for a career in LE because of the fact that I have always had respect for LEO and I love helping people and making sure every one around me is safe.

Now after I put all that out there. For the last 2 years I have really been struggling finically and have not been able to pay all my bills. I have a very low credit score right now and I hate the fact that I cant pay most of my bills. (Student Loans mainly) My question is, is this going to effect me getting a job offer from them? I have been told by some family members to file for bankruptcy but I am not the type of person that will give in and do suck a thing. I rather fight and may everything better on my own rather then give up. All my life I have fought for the thing that I want even if that meant that I failed and tried again tell I got it right. I am no one to give up just because it gets tough out there. I tend to work my way thru the things that are difficult.

So know that you know this about me please give me some advice on the situation. I have my testing on Friday and I really hope to make it to the academy and hopefully some day SWAT. Thank you all in advance and please be safe.
    Last edited by taco_man; 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM.

There's no hard and fast answer as you fionancial history is based on so many things. Go to http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/bim/bi.pdf and read the financial section starting at Page 117. While it sets the standards for California, the principles are fairly common for most law enforcement agencies.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you L-1 for the link. I have heard from a family friend in SoCal that I should not have to much of an issue since most people are in the same boot right now with the economy but it just worries me. I have wanted to be a LEO since I was a kid but I was also interested in the internet so I when that instead please I don't think I would have made a good officer back then. Well I am still young and if it dose not work out at this department I can alway keep trying different departments and suck or wait tell I get that issue all taken care of. Its just really hard right now do to family health issues and the way the economy is going.

Comment

Last edited by Monkeybomb; 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM.
        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by taco_man View Post
          I did not always make the best decisions in life. In high school I had a problem controlling my temper as well as I tried a few drugs and I regret ever trying them and I have not used them since. I also found my self with the wrong crowed once and got arrested for petty theft when I was 18. Since then I have been out of trouble and received a BA in Interactive Media Design.

You see this kind of thing a lot, making not so smart decisions but getting ahead and really making clean 180 in life. How is this viewed by departments? Is there a clear cut way to approach these short comings and mistakes many of us have made? Is there a certain length of time or behavior that helps show someone has made a change?

(taco man, sorry about the hijack, just trying to help get the questions answered )
          Last edited by Colorado LEO 2B; 08-07-2008, 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It really varies from agency to agency. One may hire you right now, one may send a dear john letter, one may say keep your act together and apply next year. We all have "something" (or things) in our background that are blemishes.

It depends on ALOT of things. Time lapsed between doing dumb things, job history, education, what people and employers say about you, how well you interview etc...

Be prepared to tell the theft story over and over in the coming months. It's just the way it is. I have seen people get hired with worse in their backgrounds. Yours is not horrible.

Comment

It really varies from agency to agency. One may hire you right now, one may send a dear john letter, one may say keep your act together and apply next year. We all have "something" (or things) in our background that are blemishes.

It depends on ALOT of things. Time lapsed between doing dumb things, job history, education, what people and employers say about you, how well you interview etc...

Be prepared to tell the theft story over and over in the coming months. If you had done it before you were 18, it would be much easier on you. It's just the way it is. I have seen people get hired with worse in their backgrounds. Yours is not horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado LEO 2B View Post
                You see this kind of thing a lot, making not so smart decisions but getting ahead and really making clean 180 in life. How is this viewed by departments? Is there a clear cut way to approach these short comings and mistakes many of us have made? Is there a certain length of time or behavior that helps show someone has made a change?

(taco man, sorry about the hijack, just trying to help get the questions answered )
                Hijack away man. I just about went on tangent of what made me do the one 180. But I was never really a bad kid I just had some luckily SMALL mishaps on my way to becoming a great adult. But I can say that they have made me a better person today. I have not talked to about 80% of my friends I graduated high school with because they got in to drugs really bad (Coke manly) and I do not like to associate my self with any druggies as well as I am very uneasy around druggies, and can always sense that some one is a druggie. But that is another story that I could go one. Lets just leave it at I cant sand to be in the same room as some one that uses when I can tell they use.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6518 users online. 364 members and 6154 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X