300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mn graduate looking for Co depts

Just graduated this summer from a LE program. Mn is a competitive market so im thinking of moving to Co maybe. What would be some good depts to apply at. I like to hunt, fish and ride snowmobile so a agency that has that nearby would be great.
    I have 4.5 yrs as a reserve officer also a water patrol officer, EMT and wildland firefighter. Would i have to go through a academy or are there agencys that would hire me direct???
    any suggestions?

You will need to get POST certified in Colorado. Your reserve experience will help, but it does not count as a lateral transfer. It's pretty competitve here also. Just depends how many slots are available and all who is applyinig. Denver PD is a great department, Colorado Springs is good too. Depends what you want to do. We have some good small departments too. If you like the mountains, look into Loveland PD, or some Sheriffs office that cover those areas. Good luck

Comment

Move on and look at either Florida or Arizona... they have the most openings and about every agency hiring will send you to an academy. Here there are only like 9 agencies with an academy.. and i'm willing to bet competition for each of those is as tough as MN.

Comment

Florida is the way to go like Mystikal said. Miami Dade Police, or Broward Sheriffs Office are great departments! Every department in Florida will place you into an academy at their expense. Once you complete FTO you get a take home car. Cost of living is pricy, but the action would be priceless out there. You will do more police work out there in 1 year, than being a cop in Colorado for 25 years. Keep it in mind.

Comment

I live in Florida. I am not certified but I did just receive my final offer with the Colorado State Patrol. They have everything I was looking for and also pay you while you are in the academy.

The South Florida PD's are hiring and are very competitive, but it seems from what I've heard that if you have experience you will have a great shot. The big thing that held me back from applying was the cost of living. It is VERY high. I have 3 children and I would need a fair size house. We couldn't find anything in a safe area that we would be able to afford.

If you have any question about the CSP, just let me know. I can't wait to start and the process was great.

Good luck!
          Colorado State Trooper

Comment

[QUOTE=Latino50;1009562]....... Every department in Florida will place you into an academy at their expense. "

Just to clarify, not EVERY department in Florida will place you in an academy at their expense. In fact fewer and fewer are. They I applied at almost 12 different departments and several told me don't even apply if I am not certified already.
            Colorado State Trooper

Comment

[QUOTE=jman077;1009890]
              Originally posted by Latino50 View Post
              ....... Every department in Florida will place you into an academy at their expense. "

Just to clarify, not EVERY department in Florida will place you in an academy at their expense. In fact fewer and fewer are. They I applied at almost 12 different departments and several told me don't even apply if I am not certified already.
              Narrow that down to the southeast section of florida and you will be more accurate. however, with the property tax issue that could have changed.. i havent monitored the florida board since the tax issues arose.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10098 users online. 403 members and 9695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X