300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver PD

Any potential recruits for the upcoming Denver Academy in Oct. ? I rarely see any Denver PD discussion here, just curious.

I test on the 30th of July, I believe, got it in my files too lazy to check right now, lol.
    Last edited by airbornefergie; 06-08-2007, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I am also in the process with Denver. I have completed everything in the selection process so far with the exception of the panel interview. I really hope that I get into the October academy but I know the competition is keen and it is going to be very close race with all of the people that have applied. I guess the video scores have a lot to do with the ranking into the academy. I was told a score of at least 70 is considered very competitive so obviously this isn’t a test anyone is expected to get 100% on.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan View Post
        I rarely see any Denver PD discussion here, just curious.
        thats because there are better, higher paying, departments in the metro area that have a speedier process than them.

Comment

Like Aurora, I'm applying to Aurora as well, my number one choice of course. I pray everyday I make it lol.

Comment

Denver's video test is a joke, I would discuss it but I am sworn to secrecy... IMO That entire test day was a waste of my time. I passed the test rather well, and didn't even get a call back, or a letter.
            Awesome human relations I tell ya.

Then almost a year and a half later, I get a letter from Denver saying please be sure to update your address with our recruiting team. Apparently they had the right address, because I got the letter. Oh well

Sorry rant over.

Comment

A guy from our agency just got on with DPD a little over a year ago. He had applied there like three or four times before and never got very far in the process. This last time, he marked that he was Hispanic on his application and was hired. The other times he had marked "white." Coincidence? Maybe.
              "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

Well Denver's hiring is surely not the speediest. I took the written/video test in Sept. and was contacted in March to move on to the next phase. My Aurora application goes in the mail on Monday, I've heard their process moves alot faster. We'll see..............
                Last edited by FordMan; 06-09-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Yes I have also been in the process with Denver for sometime as well. Does anyone know the video test scores of some of the people who made it all the way through the process and also some of the reasons why people didn’t get hired?

Comment

Originally posted by RyanRJ2047 View Post
                    Yes I have also been in the process with Denver for sometime as well. Does anyone know the video test scores of some of the people who made it all the way through the process and also some of the reasons why people didn’t get hired?
                    Minimum score of 72 required to even move on. I've been testing with DPD since 2001.

After working as a Denver Deputy Sheriff and learning things like...officer safety, I recently took the video test again and did worse than I had ever done. like 60% ish. (don't know or care anymore)

Someone told me once the secret is to think like a snitch or politician, not a cop. Guess they scored 80-90% with this strategy.

I think it's a bogus test used to eliminate tons of applicants, many of whom could be/already are great cops. The computer eliminates the human element, and DPD has very peculiar employment standards.

I can't for the life of me understand why my agency and DPD don't work better together, and make it easier to cross-over. Get the old guys and slugs off the street and in the jail to retire, make the rookies work the jails to learn how to communicate with "bad-guys", and add some more numbers to the front lines!

Most of the best street cops I've met started off in the jails. I know many great DPD cops too, who would love the extra man power, but for some reason we act like worst enemies.

LOL, can't we all get along?!?!?
                    "The world is a dangerous place; not because of those who do evil, but because of the good men that do nothing."
                    -A. Einstein

“As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”
                    -(Proverbs 23:7)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hardships with the department. I was told by a Denver Cop that while he was going through the academy there were people that had scored in the mid 50's all the way up to the high 80's on the video test, all of these people were in the academy mind you. I was told that a score of 65-70 was considered very competitive as on this particular test not many people score above 80-85, some do but the majority of people score below that. Also, it is important to note that just because you score above an 80-90 on the video test doesn’t mean you are going to pass all of the other testing, there are a lot of steps in the Denver PD process and you can get eliminated in any of them. From what I gather they use the video test to rank you into the academy once you have passed every other part of the process.

Comment

Doesn't suprise me. I was just going by what the "test proctor" and one of DPD's recruiters told me. Not the first time I've been lied to by an agency. The proctor infomed me on the way out "Don't expect a call. You passed but your score wasn't good enough!"

I recently passed all of JeffCo's tests and was in the top 16% of everyone testing. They used some B.S. excuse from something I did over 5 years ago to eliminate me. When I confronted the officer, I informed him that the site used to mention 3 years, most agencies 5 and he said "Uh...no...uh...we uh require 7 years"

I recently had a long conversation with my gunsmith, an ex-cop who ran against Sheriff Mink who informed me that since I'm in good shape, muscular with some solid martial arts training in my background, most agencies wouldn't hire me because they wanted "non-confrontational" officers and slugs. (Being a white male doesn't help either.)

I have yet to go hands on even after almost a year as a Deputy!!! Jeff-Co recruiters knew a guy I boxed with over 10 years ago (He's now a pro fighter) and his first remark was "Well I bet you got into all sorts of trouble then since you associated with this guy!" ...NO-I TRAINED with him. I NEVER associated with him out of class. Just because I can fight does NOT mean I enjoy beating people up! Many pro fighters are pretty laid back people outside of the ring!

ANYWAY!!!
                        "The world is a dangerous place; not because of those who do evil, but because of the good men that do nothing."
                        -A. Einstein

“As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”
                        -(Proverbs 23:7)

Comment

Originally posted by cpratt1999 View Post
                          I can't for the life of me understand why my agency and DPD don't work better together, and make it easier to cross-over. Get the old guys and slugs off the street and in the jail to retire, make the rookies work the jails to learn how to communicate with "bad-guys", and add some more numbers to the front lines!
                          the brass for sheriff don't want to lose their high pay and rank and DPD don't want to work in the jail or lose the great overtime to the sheriff... hence why the deputies are non-post. the FOP dont want it because one of them would be disbanded.. most likely the sheriffs. its all about money and politics... and then in the end they wonder why the sheriff can't retain people.

Comment

I tested for Denver PD in August of 2006. I scored a 78% on the video test. At that time the passing score was 80%. I worked for Maricopa County for 2 1/2 years in the jail as well. I believe previous Law Enforcement experience does hurt you with that test.

I took the same exact test in Michigan two years ago for MSP. Before the test, the proctor explained any corrections or police experience can hurt you. In Gilbert Az they use the same exact test. I have numerous friends who haven't passed as well.

I ended up moving to Nor Cal in April to pursue LE out in Cali. That same month Denver sent me an email inviting me to continue! I am back in CO now. I am going to try for Aurora. Most likely i'll end up certifying myself.

Comment

Originally posted by comilehighpower View Post
                              I am going to try for Aurora. Most likely i'll end up certifying myself.

I think we've discussed this before. thats i feel the best avenue here... these agencies with academies can afford to be picky. 9 agencies with academies or certify yourself and have over 300 agencies to choose from... all of which are short but require POST.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6106 users online. 315 members and 5791 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X