Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakewood PD

Hi all,

I'm out of state but am looking at departments in the Denver area. I did complete a search but the results were somewhat dated. Are any lakewood agents on here? Just wondering about culture, how laterals are treated, good/bad of working there etc...

Good: One of the higher paying agencies, bu not the highest.
    Bad: They require laterals to attend their academy, and you have to call yourself “Agent”.

Seriously, considered a pretty good department but occasionally has problems playing with others.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Did Lakewood chief come from San Diego area? At my first dept corporals were called agents because my chief would copy most of what San Diego was doing and San Diego called them agents. Later we finally went to corporals I believe it was because SD stopped using the term agent.

Comment

Years ago, I recall the the Lakewood Chief was from somewhere in California, but I don't remember where. An instructor at the academy was from Lakewood PD. My understanding was that there was a belief that by requiring 4-year degrees and calling officers agents, the department would be more (or appear more?) "professional" and attract better applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by jd950 View Post
          Years ago, I recall the the Lakewood Chief was from somewhere in California, but I don't remember where. An instructor at the academy was from Lakewood PD. My understanding was that there was a belief that by requiring 4-year degrees and calling officers agents, the department would be more (or appear more?) "professional" and attract better applicants.
          If I remember my history correctly he only lasted a year, back in the early 70s, but the “Agent” and 4 year degree thing persist. They didn’t wear uniforms back then either, slacks and a blazer were the uniform. That lasted into the 1980s.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Denver81
            Denver81 commented
            Editing a comment
            The agent thing was modelled after the FBI when he PD was founded.

Not sure I'm keen on putting up with the nonsense of another full academy.

Anybody know much about Arvada?

Comment

My suggestion is: visit Colorado, decide where you want to live... then start looking at nearby departments. To be honest, in my opinion, there's no point in moving to Colorado if you're going to live anywhere in the Denver Metro area. May as well move to any big city in any state.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              My suggestion is: visit Colorado, decide where you want to live... then start looking at nearby departments. To be honest, in my opinion, there's no point in moving to Colorado if you're going to live anywhere in the Denver Metro area. May as well move to any big city in any state.
              This...this really could apply to basically any job field and not just LE.
              "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by PPD View Post
                Not sure I'm keen on putting up with the nonsense of another full academy.

Anybody know much about Arvada?
                Arvada has a similar culture to Lakewood, maybe on a slightly lesser scale. You'll file your own felonies as a cop with Arvada, even as a beat cop, its known to be a more paper intensive department. You'll get paid well there.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                  Great thoughts; I actually grew up in CO and want to live in Morrison on the west side of Denver. I want easy access to the mountains for skiing and fishing (even though it's getting crowded, Wife has a good career that requires a large airport so WY, ID, and MT aren't options).

Comment

Originally posted by PPD View Post

Great thoughts; I actually grew up in CO and want to live in Morrison on the west side of Denver. I want easy access to the mountains for skiing and fishing (even though it's getting crowded, Wife has a good career that requires a large airport so WY, ID, and MT aren't options).
                    If you want to live in Morrison and work for a bigger agency, I'd recommend JeffCo Sheriff. They combine their academy with Lakewood, but I don't know if they make laterals attend the full academy like Lakewood does. A bit smaller: Golden has a good department, School of Mines has their own department. Idaho Springs, Blackhawk, Central City all have departments, I think Blackhawk starts at $31/hr. Gilpin County next door is hiring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8173 users online. 447 members and 7726 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X