300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver, El Paso, Arapahoe, Jefferson, Adams Counties

I'm considering lateral transferring to Colorado. I would prefer a city agency as I'm used to patrol work but wanted to leave open the option of transferring to a Sheriff's Office. My only requirement is that I could be hired for patrol, as opposed to starting in the jail. Does anyone know if Denver, El Paso, Arapahoe, Jefferson or Adams Counties start deputies on patrol or do all of the counties start in the jail?

Denver Sheriff has no patrol, if you are looking to patrol in Denver you need to apply for Denver Police

Comment

Originally posted by CaliMan35 View Post
      I'm considering lateral transferring to Colorado. I would prefer a city agency as I'm used to patrol work but wanted to leave open the option of transferring to a Sheriff's Office. My only requirement is that I could be hired for patrol, as opposed to starting in the jail. Does anyone know if Denver, El Paso, Arapahoe, Jefferson or Adams Counties start deputies on patrol or do all of the counties start in the jail?
      El Paso was the only one of those listed counties that required jail work before patrol duty, they just recently got rid of that requirement within the last year or so. As the other poster stated Denver is just the jail. Someone else can correct me if the others require this as well, but El Paso is also the only SO of that list that requires you as a lateral to go through their full 6 month academy unless you have extensive experience (10+ years) as an LEO. You can always email their HR Sgt for specifics but figured I'd give you that heads up.
      Last edited by COMoparfan392; 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Double post... terrible service atm sorry...
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by COMoparfan392 View Post

El Paso was the only one of those listed counties that required jail work before patrol duty, they just recently got rid of that requirement within the last year or so. As the other poster stated Denver is just the jail. Someone else can correct me if the others require this as well, but El Paso is also the only SO of that list that requires you as a lateral to go through their full 6 month academy unless you have extensive experience (10+ years) as an LEO. You can always email their HR Sgt for specifics but figured I'd give you that heads up.
          Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will take Denver Sheriff off the list as working custody is not an option for me. I would love to apply for Denver PD, however, they still require lateral officers to attend a full 4-month long academy. I don't understand why some departments still have that requirement of experienced lateral officers. I would think an accelerated in-house shortened 6 week academy on "how we do things" should be enough. So Devner PD is not really an option for me either.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will take Denver Sheriff off the list as working custody is not an option for me. I would love to apply for Denver PD, however, they still require lateral officers to attend a full 4-month long academy. I don't understand why some departments still have that requirement of experienced lateral officers. I would think an accelerated in-house shortened 6 week academy on "how we do things" should be enough. So Devner PD is not really an option for me either.
            Then El Paso is off your list too I assume? Another SO you may want to look into is Larimer County in Northern CO. The agency is supportive and is pretty laid back so long as you do your job from what I know. The pay scale is also competitive (27.69-36.44 an hour).

Comment

Arapahoe in-house is around 6 weeks IIRC. Adams is short, but their pay is horrible. Although they advertise that you can go directly into patrol, it rarely happens, almost everyone starts in the jails. However, jail stints seem to be short for laterals (like 1 year or so from what I hear). Douglas and Arapahoe have decent reputations. Jefferson tends to promote their jail deputies to patrol. The major metro city agencies will offer the best combo of pay/benefits. Think: Aurora (7 week in-house), Westminster (2 week in-house), Thornton (10 week in-house), and Lakewood (6 weeks in actual academy setting). Although smaller and less active, Parker, Littleton, and Golden also have decent pay and benefits. Englewood is also small, but very active & busy department in comparison to the others I mentioned, also good pay/benefits.

If you're willing to look outside the metro area (but still on the front range), I would check out Longmont, Loveland, and Greeley.

I personally wouldn't work for any of the agencies around Colo Springs. Pay isn't great and neither are benefits, although COL is less.

Comment

Denver, El Paso, Arapahoe, Jefferson or Adams Counties start deputies on patrol or do all of the counties start in the jail?
                All the departments you mentioned except Denver and Adams are good departments.

Denver is only a corrections agency, the Sheriff isn't elected he's an appointed flunky and their academy isn't even POST certifying. There is no place in the County of Denver that isn't also in the City of Denver so DPD does the law enforcement and the Sheriff Department does the corrections and court security. They have good people but horrible, horrible administration. I read somewhere there are more assaults on staff in Denver jails than the rest of the state combined.

Jefferson is an excellent agency, but they do tend to start new deputies in the jail... that isn't policy but it seems to happen a lot... which isn't a bad thing, and it's a pretty nice jail.

Douglas is excellent, and pays well, but in one of the highest cost of living parts of the state.

Arapahoe's Sheriff is totally unqualified for his position. He has 5-6 years of patrol experience, half in a very small jurisdiction. I don't know how that's impacting the department, but morale can't be good.

Adams is OK, but as mentioned their pay sucks. I was never impressed by their jail staff but don't know anything about the patrol side.

El Paso is solid but pays less and you have a huge military presence in CS with all the problems that entails.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2314 users online. 136 members and 2178 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X