300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer/Digital Forensics questions

I currently work for a large corporation doing Network and Host Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention with a little bit of Digital Forensics thrown in (if I'm lucky). I am not in LE, I have not played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I've really been turned on by this whole C/D Forensics thing and would like to take it to another level and actually HELP people rather than dealing with faceless big corporations. From what I've gathered there may be a little bit of this going on within local PDs, but I'm curious if it's something that happens on a regular basis. Is there a specific team within any of your local departments that perform these types of duties?

I'm pretty new to the field and am looking for someone that could be a possible mentor because I'm much more "hands on" than a book learner. I learned a long time ago that the best way to learn is to have someone good that can teach you. Books can get me the general principals, but without having a knowledgable person available to answer questions, I can only go so far.

So, in a nut shell, Do any local depts. (city or county) have a Digital Forensics team, and if so, would anyone be willing to talk with me via email/phone and maybe help me out? I'm asking here because I'm possibly looking to get away from my current position and into LE.

Thanks,
    Jason

I know CSPD has a few guys that exclusively do "computer stuff". The one guy in it that I know was a patrol officer for YEARS before getting into it.

Try contacting the larger agencies (Denver, DCSO, Aurora etc...) and speaking with them directly. It is a very specialized LE job, not very many do it, or know anything about it.

I thought he mentioned that there are non-sworn guys working in that division (task force) as well....but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure what the civilians make either.

Comment

I would check with CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation). The agency or its crime lab may have something like what your looking for.

Comment

Douglas county has a regional computer forensic lab. I am sure someone there might me able to get you info on their operation - contact Douglas County SO. If you are interested, I might be able to get more specific information on the lab and let you know (one of my colleagues has sent work to them in the past)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 345 members and 5535 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X