Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Colorado Springs, CSPD.

Hey guys,

I know, in general, CO's cost of living is pretty high. Here is my list of questions.

1.I am planning on moving to Colorado Springs pretty soon, and wanted to know how expensive it is to live in Colorado Springs. I am from Kentucky, and never been to CO , so I don't have a clue of the

expenses in CO.

2.Also, I will be applying CSPD soon. Would their starting salary be enough to live comfortably? I know this is a vague question, but I am single, and I didn't want to live penny to penny because of the cost of

living in CO.

3. Do you guys know if any apartment complex allow CSPD officers do "Courtesy officer"?

If you don't know what "Courtesy officer" is, typically, the apartment complex let the officer live for a discounted or free of charge, in return, they have you do some stuff around the apartment if needed.

4. Last question is, Do CSPD let officer take "take-home" cars?

Thanks.

#1. Kinda ya kinda no. Rents here have gone up. They have across Colorado. You shouldn't have too much of a difficult time finding a place. Depending on where you look it might be around 1200.00 give or take. Don't look in the south east part of the Springs. Some places in Fountain are not too bad. Some guys that I work with live there.

#2. You shouldn't have a problem. Once you are through FTO you get more and there is always extra duty. Just don't come here and expect a champaign lifestyle on a craft beer budget.

#3. Have not heard of people doing that but, the state had a law that a public servant cannot accept a gift over $50. Sooooooo I would say that would be a no.

#4. Depends on who you are. Street beat with a car partner that would most likely be a no also. Higher up the food chain that would be more likely. Sheriff's office I believe let their patrol take home.
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

• Dr.Kim
      Dr.Kim
      Forum Member
      Dr.Kim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. Are you, currently, working for CSPD or did you work for CSPD? if you don't mind me asking.

• Dr.Kim
      Dr.Kim
      Forum Member
      Dr.Kim commented
      Editing a comment
      And it seems like, from the other post you posted, you were trying to get in with CSP. That is my ultimate goal too, to be a State Trooper for CSP. another reason why I am actually moving to CO, so that I can obtain my residency in CO. Did you get in with CSP?

No and no. I was tired of the CSP fanboys always posting every little detail. If you want to work for State then go there. They will post you in areas that are not as expensive but, are out in the boonies. CO is an awesome state but, have some very rural area.
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

• Dr.Kim
      Dr.Kim
      Forum Member
      Dr.Kim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply again. Last question for you. What is your opinion on CSPD? Has a good reputation or good department to work for? I know they were under scrutiny due to the "quota" scandal. I didn't know if CSPD
      works their road officers to death and go calls after calls.
      Apologies for asking many questions. I am researching like a mad man, and trying to gather every info that I can.

CSP and CSPD are two very different types of LE. If you think you want to do traffic enforcement and crashes your entire career, then by all means go CSP. Plenty of people love it, and you'll be spared the domestics and other calls associated with residential/commercial LE. Many people without LE experience don't understand how different that type of LE is compared to being a police officer or deputy, and they end up transferring out to a City or County agency after a year or two. If a "quota" is something you think you may not like, then CSP is not for you. Granted, quotas are not legal, but you'll be rated largely based on how many summonses you write or traffic arrests you make.

CSPD has a good rep, and with any agency that size the faults of your agency will be magnified. Overall, the COL is lower in the springs area than the Denver/Boulder area, and the pay reflects that. Denver/Boulder area PDs will pay as much as 10K more top out when looking at the major ones.

As for being worked "to death", you can expect a very high call load with any metro agency. It's not uncommon to go call-to-call all night long with calls pending (sometimes hours long) all shift.

Benefits and pay here in CO vary wildly from dept to dept, much more than most states. You'd do yourself a favor to thoroughly research many agencies. You can have one agency that tops out the same as an adjoining agency, however one may offer a defined benefit pension and the other just a 401A (glorified 401K). Also, many places (usually just the smaller depts) only offer high deductible health plans. These plans, as the name implies, only offer to pay benefits after you shell out the first $1500-$3500 towards medical costs.

Comment

• Dr.Kim
      Dr.Kim
      Forum Member
      Dr.Kim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for taking your time to answer my question thoroughly. Very helpful insight people like me who
      don't live in CO.
      I am guess I am torn between State Patrol and Local PD agencies.
      I have done enough ride-along with both agencies, and I personally love them both. I would LOVE traffic enforcement (I mean, who doesn't like going fast and catching speeders??), and would enjoy crash as well.
      However, I also love the variety of different calls come along the way working as a PD officers or Deputy,
      such as robbery, and domestic whatnot. I just can't decide which one to go for and devote my career for next 30 years or so. I am hoping to do this job as long as I can.

Now, another factor that attracts me to CSP is their pay. I mean, starting at $80,000 now as a road trooper and
      have potential to make over $100,000 as a corporal and above, that is pretty insane to me. I heard their health insurance is horrible, but I am sure making that kinda money will cover that.

Sorry for a long post, but I am about to get into Law Enforcement, and needless to day, I am very excited, and
      hoping to choose a good agency that I can work for +30 years and retirement from them.

Quick question for you: How do y'all buy houses in CO? I mean housing is insane up there. Median housing price is anywhere from $350,000 to $500,000?? in fort Collins area.
      If you live in KY, you can get a very very, I mean really nice house for $350,000.

Originally posted by Dr.Kim View Post
    Hey guys,

3. Do you guys know if any apartment complex allow CSPD officers do "Courtesy officer"?

If you don't know what "Courtesy officer" is, typically, the apartment complex let the officer live for a discounted or free of charge, in return, they have you do some stuff around the apartment if needed.

Not sure about rent for security in Colorado Springs. I do know in the Denver Metro it's very common. However, you might not want to live in those apartments. Most of the "nice" ones have very senior officers living there. In the bigger departments, seniority is king for everything!

Comment

Senior Officer's apartment : New Guy's apartment
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hello everyone. I have a question if anybody knows for a fact that CSPD TRAINING ACADEMY is a residential academy or recruit can go home every night. Much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Recruit can go home every night. But you better not hit any cones during driving.....you'll be fired! http://gazette.com/5-colorado-spring...rticle/1608716

Comment

Gotta love the fact that CSPD is always crying to the public and media about how undermanned they are or how they need to hire more people to do their jobs efficiently but then then don't speed up the hiring process, don't select the most qualified applicants, and then have these kind of standards in their academy. What a joke!
          "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3761 users online. 229 members and 3532 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X