NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Chances on getting on with a local department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvas006
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

Chances on getting on with a local department?

So my main goal in the future is to work for the secret service or the FBI, but I feel that my best chance to building my resume is working with a local department first. I have a Bachelors from CU Boulder and I am currently in graduate school at Regis University. I have worked an office job for the last 2 years since I graduated with my undergrad. Ive done a couple of ride alongs with Lakewood and Denver but I have not volunteered or interned at any department. I heard that majority of departments take ex military or if you have your law enforcement certificate. What are my chances?
  • L-1
    • Jun 2004

Crystal ball says, what were you civil service scores and how high did you place on the hiring lists for the agencies you applied with?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• FrontRangeCop
      Sworn Officer
      • Sep 2016

Not sure what your BA is in, but if it's something useful (eg accounting, finance, criminal justice, STEM) and you have a clean-ish background nothing should stop you from entering the Secret Service or FBI. Thats assuming you can pass the physical fitness and psychological as well.

The FBI and Secret Service are fundamentally different types of law enforcement work than "street" or local policing. If you like to solve complex long term problems and want the prestige of working for a well respected organization then go for it. Just don't expect your career to be action packed, many agents go thru their entire career without a single use of force. Granted, this depends on how and where you're assigned. There has been pretty low morale in the secret service for some time now, due to the lack of variety in assignments. It's not unheard of to just babysit a dignitary or son/daughter of a current or former president for months at a time. If you think you'd like field work more, I'd look into the ATF or DEA as well.

Comment

• Langford PR
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by FrontRangeCop
        Not sure what your BA is in, but if it's something useful (eg accounting, finance, criminal justice, STEM) and you have a clean-ish background nothing should stop you from entering the Secret Service or FBI. Thats assuming you can pass the physical fitness and psychological as well.

The FBI and Secret Service are fundamentally different types of law enforcement work than "street" or local policing. If you like to solve complex long term problems and want the prestige of working for a well respected organization then go for it. Just don't expect your career to be action packed, many agents go thru their entire career without a single use of force. Granted, this depends on how and where you're assigned. There has been pretty low morale in the secret service for some time now, due to the lack of variety in assignments. It's not unheard of to just babysit a dignitary or son/daughter of a current or former president for months at a time. If you think you'd like field work more, I'd look into the ATF or DEA as well.
        ^^This

Local LE is not the same animal as Federal agencies and while local LE work is a good enhancement for applying with the feds it is not required at all. The federal hiring process is also quite long so with your degree in hand I would suggest getting going on that while you check out the local work. I also recommend the ATF and DEA. Border Patrol is definitely hiring but I'd really check that out to see if that work is what you want and knowing Spanish is a big deal there as well.
        Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
        “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
        “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
        "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
        ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

• VT2k15
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by silvas006
          So my main goal in the future is to work for the secret service or the FBI, but I feel that my best chance to building my resume is working with a local department first. I have a Bachelors from CU Boulder and I am currently in graduate school at Regis University. I have worked an office job for the last 2 years since I graduated with my undergrad. Ive done a couple of ride alongs with Lakewood and Denver but I have not volunteered or interned at any department. I heard that majority of departments take ex military or if you have your law enforcement certificate. What are my chances?
          If i were you Id apply to CBP or Uniformed USSS. Those are the two best agencies to get on with when hopping right out of college or with minimal experience. How do I know? From personal experience needless to say. Hop on USAJOBS and go from there. Apply everywhere please. If you have anything or anymore questions, please feel free to contact me via DM. However from what others are saying (you are basically sitting post with USSS and CBP youre working a checkpoint) Border Patrol is a good gig, but do you really want to be on the Border working in 110+ degree weather all day every day? There are many entry level positions with the feds and you have to start somewhere. Lastly, a guy I knew through a friend told me that guy whom was a janitor with the FBI eventually became a special agent with them years to come. So you have to start somewhere. Local PDs are honestly probably harder to get onto than some entry level Fed positions. So keep an eye out on USAJOBS and immediately get your application in.

Comment

• Look-out-Larry
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2017

If you’re considering Aurora, just know you need to be a cop and an astute money manager. APD has a money purchase retirement system and not a defined benefit. It’s great if you’re looking to work a couple years and move on. Not so great if you want a career. Both Denver and Colorado Springs have a defined benefit.

Comment

• FrontRangeCop
              Sworn Officer
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Look-out-Larry
              If you’re considering Aurora, just know you need to be a cop and an astute money manager. APD has a money purchase retirement system and not a defined benefit. It’s great if you’re looking to work a couple years and move on. Not so great if you want a career. Both Denver and Colorado Springs have a defined benefit.
              Although I think PDs in Colorado will slowly start returning to defined benefit (FPPA) due to the good economy and need to attract from the private sector, you're right, this is a big deal.

Although Colorado Springs is a hybrid program combining money purchase and defined benefit, it's still better to have a 100% defined benefit program.

The following metro agencies now have full defined (FPPA) benefit retirements:

Denver PD
              Westminster PD
              Thornton PD
              Edgewater PD

You should see several more join in 2018, however I haven't heard of Aurora being one of them.

Another thing to note is how long it takes to top out in pay.

Aurora = 10-11 years (less as lateral)
              Denver = 5 years (less as lateral)
              Thornton = 5 years (less as lateral)
              Westminster = 6 years (less as lateral)
              Edgewater = Merit (no time frame)

Step plans are a big deal, they guarantee you'll top out in a set time frame. Almost all larger agencies use these plans. Smaller agencies not so much. Merit systems may seem great on paper, but it's entirely possible you can go 20+ years without ever hitting top out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18986 users online. 28 members and 18958 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...