Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me About Your State

Hello all,

I am new to these forums and interested in law enforcement as a career. I am a recent college graduate and currently on the search for a job with a department.

In my final semester of college I applied to the local PD of the college town I lived in but was passed over for employment. I'm currently working full time outside of law enforcement to pay bills but am in the hiring process with another agency.

All this being said I'm am trying to expand my horizons for departments worth taking a look at. I was really excited about the prospect of working for the PD in the town where I went to school, it's a town with just north of 120,000 residents and is slated to expand significantly in the coming years. Unfortunately as previously stated the local PD passed me over in the hiring process but I am now looking for other departments relatively similar to this one.

I originally grew up outside of the continental United States so my knowledge in general about the lower 48 is slim and my knowledge of law enforcement in these states is even slimmer. I currently reside in Texas and am looking for information of different departments around my State. However, At this current point in my life there is nothing holding me down in one specific area of the country so I am literally looking nationwide.

Now I understand every department and every town is different. I am looking currently on a very broad scale, I am looking for a town with around 100,000-250,000 in population as I have found that correlates with the size of department I am interested in working for. I am really looking for input from all of the users of this forum, tell me about the department you work for, what you like, what you don't like. Where are places you want to work? Was there an agency you were really interested in but got overlooked, not selected, or just didn't make sense at that current time in your life?

Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting in other State forums as well to hear their input I look forward to hearing all of your input.

The biggest thing about Colorado is the contrast between urban and rural policing.

Denver and the Denver Metro area is probably more or less like any urban area. Colorado's rural ranching and high country areas are completely different. Out here, things that would result in a 911 call in the city get handled in-house or between the parties involved. Things happen out there that we'll never know about.

People live out here, where response times can be over 45 minutes, because they don't WANT government looking over their shoulders. They want bad roads, limited services, etc... and the low taxes and low government involvement that come with it. Law enforcement is at best seen as a necessary evil. Your ability to talk to people far outweighs your ability to intimidate them. There's one of you and a clan of them, and your backup is 20 minutes away in bed.

There isn't even anyone on the road in our county between 0200 and 0600. No deputies, no troopers... nobody. If something happens somebody is getting out of bed to respond.

Your skills also need to be top-notch, because when it's time to fight it's time to fight and you have to win. Also, you need to be a jack-of-all trades. Most cases get handled by the patrol officer from start to finish. Traffic accidents, assaults, theft, fraud... even rape and murder will have a far heavier patrol involvement than in a more urban department with more resources and personnel.

The interesting part comes with the agencies that cover both types of territory. Some officers do better in one type of place, others in the other.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 09-20-2014, 10:32 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4160 users online. 225 members and 3935 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X