Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting up and moving to Colorado. Need some advice.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting up and moving to Colorado. Need some advice.

I am currently a law enforcement officer in Indiana and am not happy with the department and looking for a change. My girlfriend and I have talked about moving to the Denver area and getting closer to my family.

I have gotten to the point where I am just going to get up and move once taxes are back next year. I will be getting a job in any field until I can get back into law enforcement.

Is it a bad idea to get out of law enforcement until I get a job out there or will in not matter in the hiring process?

Should I challenge the post and get certified before moving? I believe the POST Cert last 6 months. Will this be an advantage?

Another thing I am worried about is finding a job I will enjoy until I can get back in law enforcement.

I guess I am just looking for some words of encouragement. Thronton just emailed me saying I can come out in test but require me to fly out 4 times. I can not take off that much work and I am sure most departments will require the same.

Guess I just need to grow a pair of balls and go. Pay where I am at now is in the mid 30k.

Never run FROM something, run TO something.

I'd get my POST challenge handled, and get accepted by a department before I moved.

If you want to live in the Denver Metro area there's a lot of competition for those agencies. That's what everyone else wants, too.

Rural agencies tend to have higher turnover and be constantly accepting apps:

Park County, Garfield County, Summit County all accept apps more or less continually. So do many other rural counties.

Even if you don't want to stay there forever, applying to one of those agencies might get your foot in the door and able to move to a metro agency in a year or two.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

If you worked for a dept of least 75,000 in Indiana and have 3 years experience, and can get this app done by closing of TODAY you may be eligible: https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/018451.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by cantorzorn View Post
        If you worked for a dept of least 75,000 in Indiana and have 3 years experience, and can get this app done by closing of TODAY you may be eligible: https://www.auroragov.org/cs/groups/...ent/018451.pdf
        I only come from a 5 man department so i dont qualify for that.

Comment

Two things you might try:

1) Look into agencies in the metro area that have their own academies and forget about the POST challenge.

or

2) Challenge the POST and get that out of the way FIRST and then apply where you want.

Either way you need to know Denver is HOT sellers market for any housing, cost of living won't be cheap.
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmaldona View Post
            I only come from a 5 man department so i dont qualify for that.
            Fairplay, CO is a similar size and will be hiring soon.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Colorado Springs is a bit south of Denver, but I believe its only 2 years of experience (maybe 3) for laterals. And no city size requirement as far as previous departments go. I think you may be able to do it in 2 visits - but don't quote me on that...

Comment

I am active po, but I like my department just wanting move out of midwest. Seeking also a nice "small town" in Colorado, maybe couple hour radius from Denver. Small town, under 20 guys. PM me Kmaldona if you find any nice family communities hiring.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." President John F. Kennedy

Comment

Summit County Sheriff MAY be hiring soon, they just had a couple people move from the jail to patrol. Dillon, Frisco, and Breckenridge are definitely hiring, I'm not sure about Silverthorne. All of those departments are close to 20 people, Sheriffs Office and Breck are slightly bigger than that, the others are slightly smaller.

Frisco PD has had a lot of turnover just recently which may be due to a command climate issue. Denver area is going to be highly competitive for any position and most of those departments are about 100 officers or bigger.

There are plenty of nice places in Colorado and lots of good departments, I would suggest coming out here for a bit and doing as many ride alongs as you can to find one you like.

Comment

If I move out there and it takes a while to get a LEO job is there any non LEO jobs that come to mind that are decent paying that I can get with the POST cert and LEO experience?

Comment

If I move out there and it takes a while to get a LEO job is there any non LEO jobs that come to mind that are decent paying that I can get with the POST cert and LEO experience?
                      .....selling MJ is going GANGBUSTERS, right now.
                      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

If you're willing to work the jail Park County's hiring process is fairly fast.

Several security companies are big out here, HHS comes to mind.

Check Indeed.com for Colorado.

Breckenridge is hiring, Vail is hiring, so is Aspen, so is Summit County.
                        Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Man maybe we can carpool ! I am making the same move myself! In to Denver !

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3164 users online. 150 members and 3014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X