relocating to colorado... montrose area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relocating to colorado... montrose area

After much discussion and a honeymoon to Ouray, my wife and I have decided to move from Austin, TX to the Montrose area (she was essentially begging to move lol). I am applying to the MCSO as a corrections officer since I'm not TCLEOSE/POST certified. What is the general consensus on that area of the state in regards to LE work etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
    Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

I dont live up that way but I hear that Grand Junction is a good Department to work for, and it is the closest major city up that way....and Ive heard they may put you through an Academy to become POST, but don't quote me on that...

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out when I get off work.
      The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

You might also want to apply with DOC. They have places out there, Delta I think. More people want to work in the bigger areas so you might be a shoe-in.
        My soul has been removed to make room for all this sarcasm

Comment

I've lived in big cities and small towns, and I tend to prefer the latter. My goal is to work the road, but I know its not as simple as snapping my fingers. Decided against CSP after talking with the wife.

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll, but well worth it.

Comment

I wouldn't count out CSP. If you do change your mind and decide to put in please don't add to their thread here in the Colorado Section.

Comment

I added to yours! I'm not going to rule anything out, but her desire to plant roots in the Ouray/Montrose/Grand Junction area outweighs my as long as I'm near mountains and twisty roads attitude (motorcycle rider). Being the Texas boy that I am, I'm gonna have to man up and get used to some colder weather and real snow.

Comment

Originally posted by darkhorse6 View Post
                I added to yours! I'm not going to rule anything out, but her desire to plant roots in the Ouray/Montrose/Grand Junction area outweighs my as long as I'm near mountains and twisty roads attitude (motorcycle rider). Being the Texas boy that I am, I'm gonna have to man up and get used to some colder weather and real snow.
                Its going to be a shock to the system...

Comment

I think it should be easier to get used to the cold then to go from the cold into the heat. You might want to try Grand J. They are a tough department to get onto but, I hear they are top notch. It is actually more on the milder side there anyway.

Comment

I had forgotten about applying to killeen, tx pd so I will be doing concurrent hiring processes. Id bet it will be easier to acclimate to Colorado than it was with Baghdad and the up to 150ish degree temps there. I should patent anti-b*tch cream for its inherently beneficial uses with acclimating and more haha. I could even rub it on the wife when she sleeps as a test.

At this point I'd love ANY LE job in the rocky mtns area. I cannot afford to be very picky with the current job market/applicant surplus. I will definitely put my feelers out there and see what comes up.

It looks like your persistence paid off with the CSP thread lol. Victory speech sir?
                    Last edited by darkhorse6; 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM. Reason: made a typing oopsy

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
                      You might want to try Grand J. They are a tough department to get onto but, I hear they are top notch.
                      To be perfectly honest, no...no, they are not top notch.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9285 users online. 335 members and 8950 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X