• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow....just, wow!

DEA says it doesn't trust Aspen authorities
    By AP News
    Thursday, May 26, 2011

ASPEN, Colo. (AP) — The federal Drug Enforcement Administration says it did not notify Aspen authorities of a major drug bust last week because it doesn't trust them. Aspen newspapers report that DEA agents met privately Wednesday with Pitkin County Pitkin County Sheriff Joe DiSalvo and Aspen Police Chief Richard Pryor. After the meeting, the two men said the relationship with federal drug enforcement officials remains strained. DEA agent Jim Schrant said federal agents don't trust the two departments. Federal authorities with help from other local police departments arrested 10 suspects, including six from Aspen and four from Los Angeles, accusing them of distributing more than five kilograms of cocaine in the Aspen area over the past year.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

I am not surprised that they don't trust the locals, but am surprised that they state it openly.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I am not surprised. In past years Aspen has a bad rep about drug tolerance. Whether or not it is truly deserved I cannot say. It is widely believed that they look the other way with open public use of schedule II substances.
      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The former sheriff there was pro legalization and was known to move in some pretty eccentric social circles. It's my understanding the current sheriff is a protege so I don't blame the DEA if they thought it would compromise their investigation.

Comment

The Denver Post ran an article about the last Sheriff recently when he retired. He basically says that he only enforced the laws that the community wanted him to. The Post called him “popular and unconventional.” He was able to work this way in Aspen- where money and influence is far more important than ethics or integrity- but if a Law Enforcement agency ran this way in the metro area, we would just call it corrupt.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16480973
          "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
            DEA says it doesn't trust Aspen authorities
            Having lived in that valley and worked in Aspen for years, I don't blame them!!

Comment

I read the article, morbid curiosity. What a quack. Anywhere along the I-25 corridor and he wouldn't have lasted a week as a cop. What a mockery of the badge...

Comment

I was part of that task force back in the mid 90's and it was no different then. We didn't share information with the PD or SO at all.

There was one time in which we wanted to execute a search warrant on a trailer in Woody Creek and requested a SO Deputy to assist us. We wanted the Deputy to only sit in his vehicle and activate his emergency lights while we did our knock and entry and that was all. The Deputy complied with us and was on scene for only a few minutes, sitting in his vehicle and running his lights. We heard later that the Sheriff fired that Deputy for "assisting us" with our search warrant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5659 users online. 333 members and 5326 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X