300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To laser or not to laser

I had a "Vigorous” discussion with a couple of old timers about adding a Crimson Trace laser to a gun. Believe it or not, I was not in favor of adding the laser. The old dogs were in favor of a new trick. I think that it is a crutch that is not necessary with good training. I have seen people at Whistling Pines using a laser site. I see the laser bouncing all over the target. Not sure if that is lack of experience as well.

What says the jury?
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Before you install it, discontinue all caffeine.

Comment

I think that it is a crutch that is not necessary with good training
      Some truth to this. A weapon light is not "necessary", but is very applicable at time and very useful with proper training.

I say there is a time & place for them & it starts with a written policy for their use. I agree that training begins without them; they do not make you a better shot.
      Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God MATT 5:9

Comment

They bounce because no person holds a pistol "Still".

They are great for coming on target and not having your view blocked by hands, arms and a pistol.

It can help you shoot better. You or a friend will be able to see the light move when you pull the trigger so you can evaluate your trigger control better.
        Be safe pulling back into the thread...
        http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

Also great for working on your draw. Empty the gun out and draw like you would towards a threat, makes good practice.
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Goes away from the old adage of "front sight press" and has the person looking for the red dot on target. I'm personally not in favor of them.

Comment

They work great at night. I liked them.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                Also great for working on your draw. Empty the gun out and draw like you would towards a threat, makes good practice.
                +1, If you don't like it for the field then at least you have a good training tool to use when off-duty.

Comment

Was at the range again and saw the same. A wonderful red dot bouncing all over the target. One of these times I am gonna ask them to borrow the gun and see what I can do.

Still think that an officer should not look to technology to say his/her butt. It would be funny to see a John Wayne movie with a laser on his six shooter and the reins to his horse in his mouth.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
                    Was at the range again and saw the same. A wonderful red dot bouncing all over the target. One of these times I am gonna ask them to borrow the gun and see what I can do.

Still think that an officer should not look to technology to say his/her butt. It would be funny to see a John Wayne movie with a laser on his six shooter and the reins to his horse in his mouth.
                    When it comes down to it...if that what it takes...use it.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by OneGuy67 View Post
                      Goes away from the old adage of "front sight press" and has the person looking for the red dot on target. I'm personally not in favor of them.
                      ^^^This.

I got a laser when the department issued me a TLR-2. At first I was all excited about it. What I found out was that it slowed me down and changed the way I shot. I was much more productive without it. There are limited scenarios where the laser would be beneficial, but most of the time, I keep it off.
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I think lasers at night would be more beneficial. Yeah something about seeing it on the chest of a peep. Crimson was on the handle so unless you clicked it off...it would be on target.

Comment

The problem is, what does one do when the laser fails (dead battery, a bubble off-plumb)?

Iron sights...sight picture...smooth trigger press...follow through...a hole in the target, right where you want it and ready for the next shot.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3905 users online. 212 members and 3693 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X