300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Deputies facing layoffs

We received a email stating that if we do not accept 90 hours of furloughs that 42 of our deputies will be laid off. The F.O.P is now in arbitration with the city and county, hopefully this can be resolved. These past couple months have been very scary for some of us young DPD & DSD officers.
    "Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Good luck. I hope they manage to work out a solution. We need more of you guys, not fewer.
    If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Comment

I hope the public safety unions come out hard against Hickenlooper when he runs again whether it be for Mayor or another political office. He is balancing the budget on the backs of city employees while continuing to throw money at his liberal pet projects. I miss the good old days of Mayor Webb's corruption.

Comment

I didn't want to respond to this, but someone has to.

With all of the retirements and people flat out quitting DSD...not to mention we are already understaffed and cutting corners to lower personnel costs, these layoffs are only another political scare tactic. By who...I'll let you decide. Hick's mad about the arbitration and he showed us that last year. He took 11 people, and 30 hours pay...but hey! We kept our G.D. contract raises! (Which-do the math, just about equals the sum of the -30 hours we lost)

Other people are mad because of those alleged 42 possible layoffs...well many left the bargaining unit for their own good reasons. In a recent letter sent to each new officer, they informed them that if they don't re-join that unit...well there isn't much reason to fight for their jobs now is there???

Wow people....wow.

If they do actually go through with it it proves that the safety of our city and it's people are of little concern to those with political power and influence to make a difference are only concerned with their financial gain.

Each time I hear someone walk around in uniform saying "When am I gonna get my 4.5% raise?!?!" it makes me wanna puke. Basically they are saying screw our rookies, and their wives/husbands, kids, expenses, medical problems, bills, etc. for what would be about a $1 per hr. raise. Our people are more important than a $1 raise on our S#!&*@ salary. This is BS.

Here's where to expect more defamatory statements to be made from "them" since they LOVE to write their little letters making up erroneous rumors, violating confidentiality agreements, violating computer usage agreements, violating our freedom from union discrimination rights, harassing officers via text messages, oh and refusing to get up and support their people.
        "The world is a dangerous place; not because of those who do evil, but because of the good men that do nothing."
        -A. Einstein

“As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”
        -(Proverbs 23:7)

Comment

Originally posted by cpratt1999 View Post
          I didn't want to respond to this, but someone has to.

With all of the retirements and people flat out quitting DSD...not to mention we are already understaffed and cutting corners to lower personnel costs, these layoffs are only another political scare tactic. By who...I'll let you decide. Hick's mad about the arbitration and he showed us that last year. He took 11 people, and 30 hours pay...but hey! We kept our G.D. contract raises! (Which-do the math, just about equals the sum of the -30 hours we lost)

Other people are mad because of those alleged 42 possible layoffs...well many left the bargaining unit for their own good reasons. In a recent letter sent to each new officer, they informed them that if they don't re-join that unit...well there isn't much reason to fight for their jobs now is there???

Wow people....wow.

If they do actually go through with it it proves that the safety of our city and it's people are of little concern to those with political power and influence to make a difference are only concerned with their financial gain.

Each time I hear someone walk around in uniform saying "When am I gonna get my 4.5% raise?!?!" it makes me wanna puke. Basically they are saying screw our rookies, and their wives/husbands, kids, expenses, medical problems, bills, etc. for what would be about a $1 per hr. raise. Our people are more important than a $1 raise on our S#!&*@ salary. This is BS.

Here's where to expect more defamatory statements to be made from "them" since they LOVE to write their little letters making up erroneous rumors, violating confidentiality agreements, violating computer usage agreements, violating our freedom from union discrimination rights, harassing officers via text messages, oh and refusing to get up and support their people.
          The more things change the more they stay the same. When I worked for DSD in the 90's the FOP leaders were using the money they raised from their bingo games for personal benefit. The then new guys got screwed royally in a contract that gave the old guys a pretty big raise on the back of the newer officers. Add that on top of all the money they wasted on the POST certification issue of the time one of the happiest days of my life was when I left there. I hope it works out so the new guys don't get screwed due to the greed and incompetance of the Mayor and the Union leadership.
          Last edited by GVBD59; 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Wow, and I thought we had it bad here in Pinellas when the BCC asked us to cut our budet by 20million. No furlough's, but they have taken all overtime away (they "suggest" flex only) don't want us to take comp time and have taken three paid holidays away. (MLK, Veterans Day, and Good Friday.)

Comment

Here is one of the things about accepting pay cuts. How many parks are built, fountains put in, pet projects funded and general wasting of cash go on in the City of Denver? I'm willing to bet its alot more than the cost of keeping every public safety officer and giving them a 10 percent raise across the board.

The fact that they even ask before trying to really balance a budget is a slap in the face.

I'm willing to bet there is a slush fund they don't want to part with for more than what they are asking the agency to drop. Its not just Denver either. Colorado Springs is the same way. They have some calling for a straight 10% cut across the board for every city employee. But they just gave the USOC 58 million to keep them there and a bunch of other concessions that costs money. That on top of spending Millions on another park downtown so bums can have a nicer place camp and bath in a really expensive fountain.

The priorites are all jacked up.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The FOP members are voting 10-27,10-28 and 10-29 on the agreement that has been reached by the City and the FOP= Delay raise in 2010 till Dec. Then raise in Dec. 2011 and raise in June or July of 2012. No layoffs,no furloughs. Don't know if any hiring will be done. We have had about 10 people retire in last 3-4 months and we have about 14 uniforms taking the City up on the early retirement incentive. Their last day will be Nov.30, 2009. Lots of OT happening with the Depatment now................

Comment

Hope everything works out with my Brothers at the DSD. Jeez....Hickenlooper is such a slimebag. Pressures everybody into giving up pay until later, threatens layoffs, etc, then gives away 2.5 million to the homeless. Mind you this is right after a homeless person critically injured a man and woman after they refused to give him spare change and he stabbed them.

Hickenloopers priorities are completely screwed, and I hope that the rest of us don't suffer any more because of it. Good luck guys. I know alot of us on DPD who started with DSD are on your side hoping things work out.
                  I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

+1 Great post. Good luck to you guys back home, I hope it all works out. Have fun in the snow!
                    Only the dead have seen the end of the war.-Plato

God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4467 users online. 261 members and 4206 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X