Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm wishing to Lateral to suburb of Denver!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wishing to Lateral to suburb of Denver!

I am new to the forum, so any help is appreciated.

I have read some of the threads and the advice given seems to be on point with what I've researched online. I also had the opportunity to talk with several officers for CSP that were in DC for the Inauguration (thanks for the help near the Navy Memorial). I have a Bachelor of Science degree in LE, ten years of uniformed patrol LE experience, and basically want to relocate to the Denver area because I don't want to raise my family in DC for various reasons. I'm a Midwest boy, transplanted via Military family, and desperately seek to get the "hell out of dodge". I have family in Englewood and love the outdoors(sking/hiking). I know about Colorado POST and luckily my training is accepted and I can get a provisional license based on that (had to send my course syllabus to them for review). I'm only 32, not thrilled about going through a full basic LE academy, and would like some advice from fellow LE officers who know/work in the agencies of my interest.

I'm not looking for a cushy retirement job and know I'll be pushing a cruiser for awhile, where I enjoyed my job the best. I'm just looking for an aggressive department where management backs the troops and there is camaraderie. Dream huh? Looking at: Westminster, Lakewood, Arvada, Thornton, Longmont, Aurora, Commerce City, Littleton, Loveland, etc... I don't know too much about the sheriff office's, but here Jeffco is good. Any help is appreciated. My wife is a teacher so that plays in too with school systems. Thanks and stay safe!

The Denver area is pretty well represented here, so I'm sure you'll be able to get alot of informative responses.

Most of the agencies in the metro area pay pretty well. It seems like there are a ton of them, probably over 15. I can't think of an agency who will require you to attend a full academy. I don't have the pay scales handy, but have been told the sheriff's offices generally don't pay as much as municipalities. They all have good reputations though.

As far as the best department with the best comraderie/administration...beats me. Generally speaking no matter where you go, you won't be bored and you won't starve. I work with officers from other municipalities and they all seem to be happy where they are.

If your heart is not completely set on the Denver area, Colorado Springs pays well and is one of the biggest departments in the state. I'm not sure when they're hiring next. Only an hour south of Denver, and just as close to the mountains.

I've also heard good things about Ft. Collins, they are right by loveland. Hour'ish north of Denver and really close to the mountains.

They agency I work for seems to support the troops (I recently lateraled up here). Everybody gets along for the most part and the pay is competitive. I could tell you more in PM.

Comment

Make sure you check out broomfield too. That is somewhere I'll be applying as well.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

High pay?
        A certain size community (we have large, medium, and many small towns)?
        Certain kinds of common crime?
        A certain department ethos?
        A particular shift length?
        -------------------------------
        You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

I just moved from Denver and I can let you know that it's hard not to fall in love with the area. I'm not an LEO so I'll leave the rest of the advice to the officers, but as far as schools go in Denver, Littleton schools have a great reputation.

Arapahoe County (which contains Littleton) might be another place you'd like to look, but the county stretches far to the east so there's a lot of area to cover away from the Metro area. I'm not sure if you'd be guaranteed an area close to Littleton.

Comment

Is DRCOG still in use?

I got hired off the DRCOG COPS test. It is one test that 23 Denver Metro police agencies use as their first step in the hiring process. I don't know if it is still in use but it would be a first step in getting your name on a list if it is.
            I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball-Six View Post
              Out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

High pay?
              A certain size community (we have large, medium, and many small towns)?
              Certain kinds of common crime?
              A certain department ethos?
              A particular shift length?
              I'm looking to "get the most bang for my buck" as a lateral. An agency that values laterals and will adjust starting pay accordingly to my years of experience, or close to it. I still know I'll be the "rookie" when it comes to any agency and I'm cool with that. The main thing is an aggressive law enforcement agency that backs their troops which has a fun working atmosphere with camaraderie. I'd rather work in an area where you stay busy with a combo of radio runs and pro-active contacts. I enjoy working guns and drugs, but also like traffic. Would prefer an agency that has the opportunity for specialized assignments/task forces as well. Take homes would be a plus, but it doesn't seem many agencies have them for officer's in patrol branch. 4 10's would be nice as well. I've worked shift work, in all times of the day, so it doesn't matter.

What is the pursuit policy like in some of the agencies around Denver?

Thanks for any advice/information. I plan on visiting my relatives in Englewood soon and do a ride along with some of the agencies.

Comment

Where I work, and most areas I know of, have pretty restrictive pursuit policies according to their officers.

Task forces are abundant, most are multi-agency (drugs, gangs, terrorism etc...).

Comment

Pursuit policy here is one of the most strict that I am aware of. Violent Felonies only with supervisor discretion.
                  -------------------------------
                  You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

Originally posted by maj0820 View Post
                    I'm looking to "get the most bang for my buck" as a lateral. An agency that values laterals and will adjust starting pay accordingly to my years of experience, or close to it. I still know I'll be the "rookie" when it comes to any agency and I'm cool with that. The main thing is an aggressive law enforcement agency that backs their troops which has a fun working atmosphere with camaraderie. I'd rather work in an area where you stay busy with a combo of radio runs and pro-active contacts. I enjoy working guns and drugs, but also like traffic. Would prefer an agency that has the opportunity for specialized assignments/task forces as well. Take homes would be a plus, but it doesn't seem many agencies have them for officer's in patrol branch. 4 10's would be nice as well. I've worked shift work, in all times of the day, so it doesn't matter.

What is the pursuit policy like in some of the agencies around Denver?

Thanks for any advice/information. I plan on visiting my relatives in Englewood soon and do a ride along with some of the agencies.
                    Douglas County will credit you 1 year of experience for every three years of patrol experience. They top out at 70K after 10 years experience.

Lots of drugs, not alot of guns.

No dedicated specialty teams. You will be on your regular assignment, and train with your specialty team on overlap, ie. SWAT, SDU, HAZMAT...

If you live in county, and are on patrol, you will have a take home car on your work days. Your car partner will take it home on his/her work days.

4 tens

884 square miles. suburbia/rural. Most calls are in suburbia of course...

5th richest county in the U.S.

Best of all, Douglas has one of the best chase policies in the Denver Metro area. That's all I'll say...

Be safe pulling back into the thread...
                    Be safe pulling back into the thread...
                    http://infidelswithhonor.com/

Comment

I didn't mean to get everyone caught up on the chase policy comment, although an agency that still has the mindset of "if you run from the police, we'll hunt you down" is nice. The other aspects I've mentioned previously are more important.

One agency I didn't mention is Aurora. Amongst agencies I've listed of interest, what would be your overall rankings if you were in my shoes as a lateral applicant?

Comment

You best bet is to view the Denver-Metro area map. Get all the surrounding city & town names. Everybody, here, has websites which outline their openings, work conditions, & benefits. Some, like Douglas County, test quite often.

I came from a 9000+ sworn member agency in a major city on the west coast, after 30 years, feel free to PM me with any questions.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Hey there my Colorado brothers - pardon my intrusion for a second:

If you don't mind being a little north of Denver, don't forget to check out Wyoming Highway Patrol.

There is a very informative (and long) thread on WHP if you go to the Wyoming state forum page.

The department has a short academy for lateral transfers, and treats you like an adult. The top dogs in the agency will tell you flat out working for WHP is the closest to being self employed as a cop you will ever find. Wyoming POST will give you your certification (equal to the level you have now) after a two week challenge course. Wyoming POST will also accept all your POST certified training from DC.

If Wyoming is not for you, perhaps I'll see ya on the border some day - Good luck!
                          Taking a year off to travel the USA with my family. You can follow our adventures on our website: www.TheGreatAdventureTour.com
                          sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7027 users online. 250 members and 6777 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X