Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado State Patrol or Greeley Police Department???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado State Patrol or Greeley Police Department???

I was wondering does anyone in this forum wk for either departments?? I am going to applying for both. I was wondering can anyone here tell me the pros and cons on each department???

thanks and stay safe

)..............
    Last edited by Monkeybomb; 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

The best way for you to find out is to go on a ride-a-long with both. I have been on 2 with CSP and loved it, but both were very different.
      Only the dead have seen the end of the war.-Plato

God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.

Comment

As an officer in Northern Colorado, I have dealt with both a lot. Go for CSP. I have never heard a bad thing about them, Greeley is quite a different story. I also have friends that work for Greeley and they hate it. Hope this helps.
        “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Comment

thanks for the replies!

Comment

Csp

I am with CSP, I haven't been with them long, but I would go that route if I were you, I have had no regrets. There are some pro's and con's, a few of the biggest would be with CSP you may not get a great pick of your duty station, I personally lucked out. With CSP you probably won't get barking dog calls or domestic violence calls like you would with a PD. With CSP they do all their promoting from within if that interests you. The CSP academy is the best in the state, (my opinion of course) but if you were unhappy you would not have a hard time at a later date going somewhere else. Conversly the CSP academy is demanding. With a PD you aren't doing traffic only, that can be good or bad depending on your perspective. I would second the suggestion to do ride alongs with both agencies and then try a few other agencies. Send me a PM with any other questions, hope this helps.

Comment

How good are the insurance benefits with the Colorado State Patrol? What would a Trooper with dependants have to pay? My last question is does anybody know what the pay scale looks like for the CSP, other than what is on their website?

Comment

I located this website with the salaries listed on it.
                http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/dhr/comp/docs/title7108.pdf

If you go to page 9 it shows State Patrol Admin I, State Patrol Admin II, State Patrol Supervisor etc. Does anyone know what those positions are or what rank they are since no rank structure is listed on this page?

Comment

You wanna look at "Trooper", not admin. I am sure there are some CSP guys on here, but I believe CSP tops out around 65K. They are on the PERA retirement (defined benefit) program. I am pretty sure they get a COLA (Cost Of Living Allowance) in pay if they live in area with higher living costs.

The CSP guys can tell you better than I, but my take is that if you like doing primarily traffic and traffic cases, you will like state patrol. If you want to do more of a criminal focus, you might look at a metro department.

CSP does have the security detachment for the governor, and they have some special units and assignments. I had a buddy that was at the capital for awhile, and he seemed to enjoy it.

Seems like a lot of guys get the expensive, mountain posts right out of the academy...Although, I have seen lots of rookie troopers out of the Adams County post lately.

Good luck!
                  "Freedom's Never Free"

"Go ahead. Skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

Comment

Doesn't CSP get piad once a month? That just plain sucks.

Comment

yea, we get paid 1 time per month. at first I didn't like it, but once you get used to it, it is all right. but, overtime you get paid for every other Friday.

Comment

Does Greeley use AIMS CC or Adams SO academy? My g/f is applying to Greeley today and she was wondering. She got an info packet from AIMS and they have a 2 semester program.. so I would assume for times sake they would use Adams.

Comment

greeley does use aims, i believe. I attended aims and in my opinion it is one of the best academy in the state, second only to the csp academy
                          “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6324 users online. 337 members and 5987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X