300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No conditional offer at this time-DPD

On Aug.5th I received an e-mail saying that I would not be given a conditional offer at this time. It also said that my final status would not be determined until mid October when the academy started and they were sure that they had filled all remaining vacancies. Does that mean I may still have a shot at getting in provided that someone backs out, does not pass final screening, gets hurt in the beginning weeks of the academy? Civil Service says that I need to hold my questions until my final status has been determined due to the number of other applicants in my position. Should I just write DPD off for now and try again next year? May I be possibly considered for the next academy considering I passed everything and was certified by the Manager of Safety and placed on the Eligibility Roster? Sorry for the long post. Can anyone give me some feedback?

You cold still be in but it is a long shot. Was this your first try on this application? If so, you do have a chance and if it was or second pass, you need to reapply. DPD does hire off the "list" and you never know when someone may back out.

Comment

Third time I've applied in the past three years. That's what I figure, but I guess I won't know until they've given me official word. I've been in this process for almost a year and I tried as hard as I could. What do you mean by second pass? Not sure I understand.
      Last edited by Tacbear1; 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Keep your hopes up. I am currently testing with DPD as well for the first time. According to my BI I am processing for the January Academy. Here is my timeline for you to compare to.

Denver PD
        Written 5/22/08-Passed
        Background Packet Due-6/5/08
        PAT-6/28/08-Passed
        Suitability Interview 7/7/08-Passed
        Polygraph-7/8/08-Passed
        Ride-A-Long-7/17/08-Awesome
        Notified Passed Suitability Steps-7/18/08
        Moved on to Backgrounds-8/5/08
        Met with BI-8/9/08
        Only the dead have seen the end of the war.-Plato

God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.

Comment

It's hard to give you a good answer without knowing the exact wording of your email (what you listed is kind of vague). However, reading between the lines it sounds like your test scores did not place you high enough on the list to be reachable at this time. It also sounds like your scores put you in a borderline position on the list. You are not reachable yet, but if enough people drop out, you just might get picked up in October.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

No worrys about being the 3rd time. It can take a while and at times there is no real reason why you were not chosen. I tested many times, it just takes time. With DPD, if you are not give a letter, your application stays open. Some call this the "list." The next time they are hiring, they review your app. You may get an offer then. However, if you are not choosen again, you will have to start all over. Also, have you requested any information on why you were not selected? If not, do so. This helps to improve yourself for the process. You can also try and talk to Al Lacabe. He is a good guy but holds the final say. Good luck and don't be discuraged.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply, guys. I e-mailed the Civil Service Commission, and the HR Manager told me it is unlikely I will be selected in October,as they have already picked alernates. I will most likely end up in a "passed over" status, but have a shot at the next academy in January. I'm still on the list, but I know they aren't going to pick me. It just doesn't sound promising. I'm not mad at them, but I invested almost a year of my life in this. It's so frustrating. So, I'm thinking if I get denied, I probably won't apply again. This is my third time trying and I just don't have it in me to go through it all again and get denied. This was a department I always wanted to work for, but I don't think its going to happen. I have been a cop for almost 5 years and I know I'm qualified, I made it through the background and everything else no problem. I have a great job, too. Going to Denver would be a pay cut, but its something I've always wanted. I tried, I really did. I think about calling Manager Lacabe and asking, but I don't think he'll want to talk to me. I mean, how many denied applicants call his office and want to know why they didn't get hired? That has to get on his nerves. I hate to be so negative, that's not me. It's just not in the cards and it kills me.
              Last edited by Tacbear1; 09-04-2008, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I know this will sound dumb, but it may make things a lot easier for you by taking the mystery out of the whole process. Call or drop by the civil service office (its a lot better in person) and ask to speak with a supervisor. Tell whoever you wind up with that you are trying to get a quick education and ask them to explain how the civil service hiring process works in connection with the position you are testing for. Just explain that testing has become a confusing mystery for you (there is nothing more frightening than having to navigate something you don't understand) and that it would really help if you knew how the process worked. Odds are they will be delighted that someone has taken an actual interest in the thankless and mundane job they do and they will tell you all the ins and outs of the process.

Make up a huge list of questions ahead of time, Ask them to tell you about the testing process. How are the written and oral scores weighted? What is scored and what isn't. Do you get extra points for a nice haircut or a speaking second language? Do they go by the rule of three when making appointments from the list? How many people are on the list and how long is it good for? How many appointments do they expect to make from the list each year? Eventually you will ask what your position is on the list and based on the number of appointments they make every year, you will get a good idea when they will get to you, or if the list will expire before you are reachable.

In any case, reachable or not, you will get an education and it will make test taking in the future a lot less worrisome. .
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

try for aurora or any of the counties... arapahoe, jeffco, adams... they are all hiring and send you to an academy. If its your dream then get in anywhere you can...

I had the same thing happen with CSPD.. it really dropped my morale towards policing for quite a while. but I eventually applied in the metro denver area and got in. Perseverence will get you where you want to be.

Comment

I'm already POST certified and I used to work for one of those departments you just metioned, Mystikal. I may look at Jeffco, seems pretty cool. I also thought about CSP. I am at my second department now and have been there almost a year and a half. There's nothing wrong with my current agency, I'm gonna try to go to the road. I have always wanted to work for Denver. Its been my dream since I was a kid. That's why they call it a dream, you only see it when you're sleeping. As I said, I tried three times. I'm on the Eligiblilty Roster, but I already got rejected for the October academy and now they are saying I have a "shot" at the January one. That's just their way of saying its probably not going to happen, so don't get your hopes up. As for Aurora, thanks but no thanks. They're a top notch agency, but I will never, ever put myself through a stressful yearlong process again. Not feeling sorry for myself, or trying to get anyone else to. I want to be determined. I wish I had that perserverence, and I did at one time, I just don't anymore. I wonder if Denver Sheriff is hiring.

Comment

As a former Deputy I don't recommend it. That and its not a route to the road.. theres no patrol involved with them. If your post you have a ton of options for great departments that work just as hard... don't just limit yourself to Denver.

Comment

Thanks, Mystikal. I do appreciate your advice. I'll apply elsewhere.

Comment

Can I ask why DPD?

There are a ton of agencies in the metro area where the pay is comparable(sp?).

Comment

Why not DPD? Pretty much because I grew up in Denver and I know the city like the back of my hand. I have always enjoyed the city, so it would have been the perfect place for me. But, now I have applied three times and I know I'm getting denied on this one, so I'm done. I not applying next time. I have also been denied by a few other places as well. I'm on my second cop job and maybe this is where I'm meant to be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5094 users online. 279 members and 4815 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X