Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTO Washout rate with San Diego Departments?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTO Washout rate with San Diego Departments?

I have heard both sdpd and sdso have a pretty tough fto program. What happens to these guys, i am guessing with sdpd they can become service officers? And with the sheriff they maybe could work the courts or jails?

are there any second chances?

The SDSD u go away if u fail FTO. It's not very common. We had a guy at my station fail, they asked him to resign before they let him go. They would not allow him to go back to the courts where he worked before. HE wopuld have to reapply to become a detentions deputy.

SDPD has washed out a lot of people. A few from my academy are not PSO's. I think police service officers. Some left and are trying to get hired on other departments.

Comment

was the guy pretty bad, did he just have a bad attitude or something?

Comment

His officer safety wasn't there.

Comment

At SDPD it's not a guarantee that if you fail you get a PSO slot. In fact with so many trainees failing, it's not even likely anymore. PSO also requires a lot of the same skills at officers (particularly report writing) so if those are why you fail, you obviously can't be a PSO either.

Some have been offered jobs as Parking enforcement, in records, and dispatch, but those are rare too. Most people are just let go.

I know a female SDSO dep who was in LE and they let her demote to detentions at Las Colinas after failing field training. I don't know what her particular deal was, but she wasn't a prior jail dep. This was less then three months ago.

The fail rate is around %50 i would say at the moment. That's a rough estimate. It might be less. Every academy is different.

Comment

With my agency: As the number of applicants goes down and the candidate pool shrinks, the number of less-than-qualified new officers increases- and so does the FTO and academy washout rates.

The old timers have to admit- these new officers are expected to know / learn / memorize / much more stuff that they did. As an FTO supervisor I've watched the situation for years and I wonder how good I would do against today's standards. Hats off to the guys and gals making it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
              With my agency: As the number of applicants goes down and the candidate pool shrinks, the number of less-than-qualified new officers increases- and so does the FTO and academy washout rates.

The old timers have to admit- these new officers are expected to know / learn / memorize / much more stuff that they did. As an FTO supervisor I've watched the situation for years and I wonder how good I would do against today's standards. Hats off to the guys and gals making it these days.
              As an FTO Supervisor as you quoted, what do you recommend or what tips do you have for rookie Officers/Deputies to pass the FTO program. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisari View Post
                As an FTO Supervisor as you quoted, what do you recommend or what tips do you have for rookie Officers/Deputies to pass the FTO program. thanks.
                Keep your chin up and remember the basics. Look good; accept feedback and ask questions; keep a good attitude or keep IT to yourself; study those things that you can study like department policies, radio codes, etc. ; if you are not very familiar with the area you will be in, have maps and be good with them; if it gets slow find something to do. Even if it is going over a POST training objective that you were a little weak in, it shows initiative and may prepare you for an unforseen call.
                Remember, the "T" stands for training. You shouldn't have to worry about asking questions on a subject you are weak in. It's the FTO's job to give you information you need. Then, when it is time to perform, you demonstrate that you were listening. Your FTO time will pass quicker than you think. Talking about sports or hobbies is OK but it might not make your ratings any better. Make use of that windshield time when you can.

Comment

The recent washout rate for SDPD (over the last fiscal year) varied between 23 and 40%. Some failed out of the academy, some did not complete the FTO program for a variety of reasons and some simply decided that this is not the job for them. In the last year, SDPD lost 125 officers for all reasons. 50 of them were POI's or recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                    Keep your chin up and remember the basics. Look good; accept feedback and ask questions; keep a good attitude or keep IT to yourself; study those things that you can study like department policies, radio codes, etc. ; if you are not very familiar with the area you will be in, have maps and be good with them; if it gets slow find something to do. Even if it is going over a POST training objective that you were a little weak in, it shows initiative and may prepare you for an unforseen call.
                    Remember, the "T" stands for training. You shouldn't have to worry about asking questions on a subject you are weak in. It's the FTO's job to give you information you need. Then, when it is time to perform, you demonstrate that you were listening. Your FTO time will pass quicker than you think. Talking about sports or hobbies is OK but it might not make your ratings any better. Make use of that windshield time when you can.
                    Thanks for the info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6339 users online. 348 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X