300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have bad credit but want to be in LE

Hi, I was wondering if bad credit will disqualify me from the selection process.I'm working on my credit right now trying to pay what I owe little by little. Most of the debt was from my early 20's I'm 28 now.I have a test date on Sept. 6 with the OCSD, should I even go if my credit will be an issue? I hope you guy's can help out.

I also have astigmatism in both eyes and I wear glasses will that be an issue too? I have so many other questions I hope can be answered thanks in advance.

How bad of credit are we talking about here? How much debt do you have?(dont give me specific obviously, just ballpark). Bad credit will not DQ you but it will be looked at. If you have been diligent in trying to pay off your debt and repairing your credit over the past several years then background investigators will take that into account when they investigate you.

As for your eyes. If your eye sight is correctable to OCSD's requirements then you are fine.

Comment

Depends on how bad the credit issue was. I don't know how OCSD is these days, but I tried to lateral there 12 years ago and I could swear I had applied to become a church priest they were so picky. You try any other agencies or just OCSD?

Comment

^WPD...that how OCSD was 2 yrs ago as well. lol

Comment

Well basically it's in collections and delinquencies and all together it's $3800

Comment

mcgruff....so they haven't changed much? lol siryessir, continue with the process, OCSD is very good about telling you to withdrawl if they don't feel you will make the process, where as other agencies will let you go all the way through then suckerpunch you with a DQ letter.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will keep on in my quest for a career in LE. Do you guys know if theres any Police Dept. in San Bernardino,O.C or L.A that might not be as strict with a persons financial history?

Comment

$3800 is not too bad. I would look at Riverside County Sheriff. They are hiring like mad and you can probably get a good shot with them.

Comment

Thanks syphon,I'm going to look into riverside hope you're right.

Comment

To siryessir,

I also have the written exam on sept. 6

I'll see you there!

Comment

rso

I am a deputy with rso and when I started the background I was only facing credit issues. My dept. truly looks at the whole picture! my credit was not an issue, even with a recent b.k. at the time. They will however, want to know what you are doing to fix it, if in fact you have outstanding issues. As for ocsd they are a lot strictor on credit according to my experience, good luck.

Comment

what about prior MJ use? The last time I did it, was a year and a half ago. And I did it a total of 10 times during a 2 year period. Since then, I have got my AA. and will be receiving my BA in December. I dont have any bad things on my record just the MJ use.

What do you think about my situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Mtoledo View Post
                          what about prior MJ use? The last time I did it, was a year and a half ago. And I did it a total of 10 times during a 2 year period. Since then, I have got my AA. and will be receiving my BA in December. I dont have any bad things on my record just the MJ use.

What do you think about my situation?
                          It could be worse. Plan on applying after you get your BA and have at least 2 years since your last use. Also, plan on explaining why you used. Obviously you weren't 15 and being a kid. You were older and used. That might raise issues. Go in and be completely honest about your usage.

Comment

Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
                            OCSD is very good about telling you to withdrawl if they don't feel you will make the process
                            Yes that's the good thing about OCSD. ie - before my buddy applied with them, a BI told him "You won't pass the body fat test" and to just focus on losing the weight. A year later he was sworn in.

Comment

See you there M
                              Toledo I'll be the verizon looking guy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4688 users online. 307 members and 4381 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X