300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craving to be a newbie...

This is my first time posting anywhere on this site. I am a recruit for the LA County Police and I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice for me? My Oral is coming up this weekend and I have a ride a long this week. Does anyone know what they will ask or what to expect? I have looked all over the internet for (free) help with the oral and any other advice. Not too much luck and I am looking for all I can get.

Nicely done. I can't answer any of your LACOPS questions, but IMachU can. He usually checks into the Ca forum on a daily basis...just hang out and wait
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Do you know how to change the name of the thread? Can you even do that? I think I need something a little more powerful.

Comment

Nope, not possible. I think it'll be just fine

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Do you know any questions that are more likely to be asked during the ORAL? I have had a few but I want to be prepared the best that I can. Im sure they are going to do the usual; Why do you want to be a PO? How come this Department? Prob the most difficult question would be; What are your strenghts and weakness's? Not really too sure how to answer that question. Any advice?

Comment

I wonder how long or what we are going to do out of the South station? Do you know what division it is in?

Comment

I got your email. You sure are tenacious. Here's the best I can do. They've changed the oral boards since I last worked them.

Know that we are 4 Bureaus....Admin Bureau, Health Services Bureau, Facilities Bureau, and Parks Services Bureau (I work PSB now, but have worked all 3 bureaus....I seem to be banned from Admin Bureau). I understand you have a ride along scheduled for the busiest station we have. Good for you....that's a step in the right direction.

OK....on to Oral Board issues: (there is an LA Co Police thread in here....read that front to back. It has GREAT stuff in it)

Remember....the duties of a POLICE OFFICER TRAINEE are to go to the academy and graduate, then arrest, write reports and citations, testify in court, etc. (look at the job bulletin for the job specs), under the SUPERVISION OF A FIELD TRAINING OFFICER. Key points there in bold.

Strengths and weaknesses....be honest. But have a plan of action for correcting that weakness....be it physical fitness (joined a gym, working out), organizational skills (bought a Palm PDA to help with that), etc. You get the idea.

Scan the forums here. The prior threads about orals will be of help to you. But do yourself a favor. No matter how you prepare for the oral, just walk in feeling confident. If you are not confident, you will stumble over your words, contradict yourself, etc. Be yourself. Remember, those sergeants on the oral board are sometimes as nervous as you are. We all put our pants on one leg at a time (except LA DEP, he simply wills them on....and DOA - he sweet talks his pants on ). Appropriate jokes are not out, either. Smile. Have fun with it. Look each interviewer in the eye when answering questions. Don't fidget.

For a closing statement, HAVE ONE. Reiterate your strong points. Tell them why you are the best candidate in the office that day. Don't exaggerate, and don't be a butt-kiss....then thank them for their time. Get up, shake hands, ask what's next, and go home and have a beer. You've earned it.

I've bolded the more important points for you to consider.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by beasy1975 View Post
                I wonder how long or what we are going to do out of the South station? Do you know what division it is in?
                Dude, that is the busiest station during the busiest time of year for us. You will have a BLAST. Trust me. It's in Parks Services Bureau, Division II. The hours will be from 1300-2300 hours on the day you signed up for. You will do a lot of stuff. Fun stuff. Just hang on and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                  I got your email. You sure are tenacious. Here's the best I can do. They've changed the oral boards since I last worked them.

Know that we are 4 Bureaus....Admin Bureau, Health Services Bureau, Facilities Bureau, and Parks Services Bureau (I work PSB now, but have worked all 3 bureaus....I seem to be banned from Admin Bureau). I understand you have a ride along scheduled for the busiest station we have. Good for you....that's a step in the right direction.

OK....on to Oral Board issues: (there is an LA Co Police thread in here....read that front to back. It has GREAT stuff in it)

Remember....the duties of a POLICE OFFICER TRAINEE are to go to the academy and graduate, then arrest, write reports and citations, testify in court, etc. (look at the job bulletin for the job specs), under the SUPERVISION OF A FIELD TRAINING OFFICER. Key points there in bold.

Strengths and weaknesses....be honest. But have a plan of action for correcting that weakness....be it physical fitness (joined a gym, working out), organizational skills (bought a Palm PDA to help with that), etc. You get the idea.

Scan the forums here. The prior threads about orals will be of help to you. But do yourself a favor. No matter how you prepare for the oral, just walk in feeling confident. If you are not confident, you will stumble over your words, contradict yourself, etc. Be yourself. Remember, those sergeants on the oral board are sometimes as nervous as you are. We all put our pants on one leg at a time (except LA DEP, he simply wills them on....and DOA - he sweet talks his pants on ). Appropriate jokes are not out, either. Smile. Have fun with it. Look each interviewer in the eye when answering questions. Don't fidget.

For a closing statement, HAVE ONE. Reiterate your strong points. Tell them why you are the best candidate in the office that day. Don't exaggerate, and don't be a butt-kiss....then thank them for their time. Get up, shake hands, ask what's next, and go home and have a beer. You've earned it.

I've bolded the more important points for you to consider.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
                  Dayum, with all that great info. almost makes me wish I were testing for LACOPS.

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Oh wow, thanks so much. Thats so helpful. I am going to do all I can to be as prepared as possible. By any chance IMachU are you working at the south station on thursday? What is DOA, dept of??? My ride is at 1300 hours..

Comment

Oh one other thing. I am always confused on what to wear when I go on a ride. Any suggestions? I know you need to look professional but you need to be comfy at the same time. I usually wear a polo shirt and some black pants and black shoes. Is that good or shoulf I be more specific to the colors of the dept?

Comment

I was told by several cops not to wear jeans (even if they are dark). Why do you bring a lot of cash, for what? I understand for code 7 but I am not trying to buy my partner dinner and flowers. Well, maybe if it warrants it. I am in a fitness program that was setup by an LT for LAPD. I have been working out a lot and I ma in great shape. I do want to build stamina for my runs. Im at 5 miles and I am dying at the end. I need to know how to build that up so Im not dying after a run so I can make the arrest or do whatever I am doing. I want to get to 7 or 8 miles.

Comment

Oh wow, thanks so much. Thats so helpful. I am going to do all I can to be as prepared as possible. By any chance IMachU are you working at the south station on thursday? What is DOA, dept of??? My ride is at 1300 hours..
                          No, I work the same division, but a different station. You may have called me asking about a ride along (because my station is closer to your house), and I referred you to South Station. I will be working Thursday, but on overtime at my own station.

DOAcop is a member on these forums, and a friend of mine. Just making a joke. Relax man.

Oh one other thing. I am always confused on what to wear when I go on a ride. Any suggestions? I know you need to look professional but you need to be comfy at the same time. I usually wear a polo shirt and some black pants and black shoes. Is that good or shoulf I be more specific to the colors of the dept?
                          Wear casual business attire. Polo shirt, Dockers, and decent shoes (but comfortable). They will give you a loaner vest to wear there, so make the polo shirt a little big. As far as colors, just make sure that the colors aren't bright. Darker colors are better for the environment you'll be in.

Comment

I was asking what DOA is, there are some people that use initials and I was a little confused. no worries. I am going to get a bulletproof vest issues to me?

Comment

And it'll be loaned, not issued. You gotta give it back at the end of the night.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158282 users online. 127 members and 158155 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X