300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hey everyone, hows it going? Just thought I post about my process..The first one is with the Los Angeles Sheriff Department, and just finished my pre interview and now waiting on my interview with a background officer..In July I tested with Costa Mesa PD and passed the written and got a call to appear for the physical test and oral interview on the same day. Since Costa Mesa Police Departments target start date for its academy is this September the previous two tests were crammed together. We were told the results for both tests would be mailed out to us in a week to two weeks. Got mine in yesterday, passed the physical but got disqualified for the oral interview. Just want to know if anybody has any ideas why? Could it be since the department is small and they were very selective in the hiring process? This was not a complete loss since Costa Mesa's test was using the p.o.s.t standard test, and if another department accepts the results I could waive the written test and did that with the Riveside Sheriffs Department.

Thanks for any feedback, suggetions, comments, etc

Testing, testing is this on?

Comment

Originally posted by srt-krs View Post
      Could it be since the department is small and they were very selective in the hiring process?
      Could be. Could also be that you totally bombed your oral...it happens. Point is, no one here will know why you failed your oral.(probably why no one's replied)

Good luck with the other two agencies and welcome to O.com
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome

Comment

Orange county agencies are going to be much more difficult to get hired by. Don't know where you are from but if I were you I would try inland impire departments, LA, and SD areas....depends on how bad you want the job.

Comment

I reside in Corona. Im in process with riverside sheriff right now, just waiting on the physical agility date. For L.A Sheriffs I have a meeting with a background officer in a few weeks and have a physical test this weekend with Orange P.D ..San Diego will be my next one that I will try for asap.

Comment

Their oral isn't too bad, but one way to have given yourself a leg-up would be knowing who the captain was, what direction the department was heading (knowing of the new station being built and community oriented policing, etc.), and taking the break time after the physical agility to run to your car and change into a suit. I pulled that one and seemed to pass the oral just fine, I was actually the first one called in for interviews and was very nervous. The department at the time, and maybe still currently is the highest paying in the OC which means a lot of lateral officers and a department that can be a bit more picky. If you like the area, I may suggest Huntington Beach but make sure you have a feel for the way the department polices the area as their mindset may be very different from other departments. HB is close in pay, but their mindset is very aggressive towards crime. Best of luck and don't give up!

Comment

Thanks for the tips..What day was your physical and oral on when you took it? I did not bother to change in a suit after the physical especially since the sergeant on our written test day told us not to since it wont score any points with the oral panel..I still should of but live and learn...Good luck with your process

Comment

I tested with them earlier on in the year, I believe it was on a saturday, unfortunately I was dropped in BG, but no big deal, just going to go through the academy myself and hopefully get picked up along the way while filling out apps with other departments. The best advice I can give you for the orals is being knowledgeable about the department. They want guys who know something about their department, what areas in their city have the most crime, who the chief is, knowing what kind of specialty units they have to offer. It just shows that you came prepared and that you have already made a small commitment to the department. Also, you may want to practice your answer as to why you want to become a LEO, that is one question that is sure to be asked on just about every oral. Doing those things should hopefully help you along on your goal, good luck.

Comment

I had read up on the cities history and future along with the agency department knowledge, job duties, etc. And those questions were not even asked when I had my oral with them. When I went in for the interview the board had asked about my job history and a few questions about jobs that I held. The rest was about me and what I can bring to there department. I just found it strange when I got my letter it stated disqualified on the oral part, I was thinking fail but not disqualified... Not going to pull my hair out over it just wanted to see if I can get more insight on it

My next option if the next few agencies dont go thru, is to put myself thru the academy like you are.

Comment

how is the costa mesa written test? what does it consist of?

Comment

sometimes depts. also like you to ride a long before you apply, especially the smaller more selective agencies. then in your oral interview, when they ask why "insert agency" do you want to work here; you can say well i went on a ride a long and noticed that your officers work together well, or something along that line, it shows that you really took the time to look at their agency. for laso they are going to make you ride a long and do a jail tour if you pass pre-backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by denny View Post
                          how is the costa mesa written test? what does it consist of?
                          They use the post standard test

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/poW...acticeTest.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by erich View Post
                            sometimes depts. also like you to ride a long before you apply, especially the smaller more selective agencies. then in your oral interview, when they ask why "insert agency" do you want to work here; you can say well i went on a ride a long and noticed that your officers work together well, or something along that line, it shows that you really took the time to look at their agency. for laso they are going to make you ride a long and do a jail tour if you pass pre-backgrounds.
                            Great info, thanks.

Comment

how did you find out your results the same day? They told us that they send the tests to POST for scores and it takes a week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6363 users online. 348 members and 6015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X