Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my non-select letter today...

Questions left unanswered.
    Last edited by avalon42; 09-02-2011, 08:11 PM.

Better luck next time.
    Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

Originally posted by avalon42 View Post
      It also stated that I must wait (2) years before trying to apply again, so I guess I know that's how long the Chief wants to wait before seeing my mug back in his office again. It was signed with his signature as well, so I know this letter is specific to me.
      That usually means the eligible list from the current test is projected to be good for two years and they won't be testing again until then.

How far did you get in the process?
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Last edited by avalon42; 09-02-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I see a couple of possibilities. First is that you didn't score high enough to be reachable on the list. If you have five vacancies, a Chief might interview the top 10 scoring candidates in anticipation of a few dropping out. Perhaps enough people with higher scores did not decline the position and there just weren't enough vacancies to get to you within the rules.

Another possibility is that you got hit with the "rule of three." In California, most agencies are allowed to pick anyone from the top three scoring candidates on the list when filling a given vacancy. If there are five vacancies, this means they can pick anyone from the top eight scores on the list. When the chief does his interviews, he usually decides who will be the best fit. It is entirely possible that within the rule of three, he preferred other candidates than yourself and went with them instead. This is by no means a rejection as evidenced by the fact that you did not get a DQ letter. It just means you did not get picked this time. Your name goes back on the eligible list and you must be considered for future vacancies for as long as the list is valid. However, from the tone of the letter (you may not apply again for two years). It sounds like they are not expecting any more vacancies for the life of the list.

Comment

Time to start applying for other departments.

Comment

Last edited by avalon42; 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Don't Quit

Uhhgg I know the feeling as I've gotten 1 DQ and 2 non-select letters, all from LA City related police agencies, over the past 8 years. The experience made me a better applicant with my current processing department. That's the way you must look at it. Turn it around, use it as motivation for the other SD police agencies you're in the running for!!!

Don't quit!
                Focused Recruit

Comment

It just wasn't meant to be if it didn't happen. Don't give up and keep tying. I would venture to say most of us in law enforcement had a few rejections under our belts before getting hired somewhere. Remember the process is highly competative and learn from the experience. Good luck!
                  Play like a champion, today!

Member of Team Green

Comment

Ive been rejected by a few before I was given the final "your hired" handshake. Dont give up. I dont know about Grossmont academy but I attended Southwestern Basic Extended format academy way back and it was a way to have a full time job and attend full academy at the same time. I would check into that. However, if I had to do it again, I would have an agency hire me first and then get sponsored all the way through.

Comment

Last edited by avalon42; 09-02-2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Are the hiring standards the same with reserve officers?

Comment

It may only be of limited help.

As discussed in other threads, you test scores and position on the list are usually determined by the number of correct answers you give to questions on the written and the oral. Having been a reserve may allow you to gain expertise and training that will allow you to give more correct answers and get a higher score.

However, when it comes to the rule of three, having been a good reserve may cause your chief to look more favorably upon you. But at the same time, if you are a reserve who has the reputation of being a knucklehead, it could just as easily cause your chief to exclude you.

Comment

Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                            Are the hiring standards the same with reserve officers?
                            They should be but in practice that isn't always the case. Sometimes being a reserve can give you assistance in ways you don't initially expected. I started out as a reserve, during very competitive times to get hired full time (the mid-70's). Shortly after completing the reserve academy, I learned during a pre-employment physical that I had an asymptomatic back condition. After numerous DQd because of this, I lateral transferred to another agency as a reserve because:
                            1) My condition wasn't disqualifying for reserve or full time there.
                            2) They hired from their reserves almost exclusively to fill full time positions.
                            3) The Chief said the standards were the same for reserves as for regulars.

After working as a reserve for a couple of years and getting hired full time at a local college police department, I applied for a full time, lateral position with my (reserve) agency. I was rejected due to the physical issue, but appealed and won because I'd shown I could perform the duties of a full time officer, by doing them over a period of time as a reserve.

Being a reserve may be considered by some forum members as a gamble, but at least in my case it paid off.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Reserve hiring standards are exactly the same at all the agencies I have knowledge of. I can hired full time because of my experiance as a Reserve. Also was hired as a lateral, and given a step increase from day 1 because of it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6606 users online. 371 members and 6235 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X